Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:25 PM

12 posts, read 30,543 times

Advertisements

I currently live Fairmount in a share but would really like my own place. I'm considering a loft building at 12th and Callowhill because it fits my budget of around $1200. I'd love to stay where I'm at but it seems that to stay in my budget, I'd have to A) live in a closet or poorly maintained place or B) go closer to the art museum which feels completely suburban to me.

So back to 12th and Callowhill- can anyone provide any insight on what it's like to live there? I drove by the building and surrounding blocks and it looks pretty awful- abandoned buildings, little commercial business in the immediate area etc...I've lived in some fringe neighborhoods in DC and Baltimore but they felt safe for the most part.

The loft doesn't come with parking but there seem to be many lots nearby.
I'm a single female, 40, with a dog. I usually go out once or twice a week to salsa dance and return late. My friend has advised me that if I move there, I will be a slave to my apartment and not want to leave it.

I'd love to hear from people who live in the area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 09:54 AM

154 posts, read 322,707 times
sketchy area. at night very desolate, poor lighting, lot of hidden alley's and doorways for people to hid in (and wait). cars get broken into on a regular basis.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:36 PM

Thanks, kind of what I was afraid of. Though I also see lots of broken windows in Fairmount, especially along Wallace in front of the baseball field. Do you think that off street parking in a lot will make a difference?

Old 11-11-2010, 09:50 AM

154 posts, read 322,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipistanisalsera View Post
Thanks, kind of what I was afraid of. Though I also see lots of broken windows in Fairmount, especially along Wallace in front of the baseball field. Do you think that off street parking in a lot will make a difference?
off street parking anywhere in the city is not 100% safe, which why all lots have a disclaimer about not being responsible for stolen property. However, if you find a lot with some sort of security (gated remote entry, 24 hour attendant, etc.) it will be safer then on the street or a lot with no security.

best thing is to do is not leave anything in the car no matter where you park. open glove box and center console so anyone looking in can see there is nothing in the car. homless and junkies will take anything they think they can a get a couple bucks for or even change. not worth having a window smashed over $0.75 in the cup holder but it happens.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:05 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times
that area is slowly improving. the renovation of the goldtex building should help 12th st a lot.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:59 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,942 times
Loft District/Callowhill is getting much better. Actually, one of my favorite shots in the city is looking south down 13th St. between Spring Garden and Callowhill. You have the big beaux arts/art deco factory highrises and smaller industrial brick buildings, the viaduct spur, that neon bar sign, and the older skyscrapers around City Hall in the background. One a rainy night if there's steam drifting across the street its the moodiest place in town, makes me feel like I'm in a piece of film noir. Absolutely love it. And yes, it is getting better. That district was recently designated historic, so it gets certain new funds that go towards revitalization and preservation of the buildings there. The Goldtex was about the last (I believe) of the old highrise factory/warehouses to remain abandoned. Chinatown is down the street, and from thence to the rest of Center City. Broad Street is nearby. The place has a lot going for it right now. As it stands, its feeding off of being so close to downtown, I won't call it totally safe until development moves north towards Fairmount though, since it still is somewhat fringe. It's at the tip of a bad salient of blight off the Richard Allen homes and the depressed areas around the old viaduct. It's certainly not that bad relative to areas further north, but its not a walk in the park yet either. It's mainly to do with the fact that it is a post-industrial zone, lots of vacant space and big stretches of nothing which gives off a spooky atmosphere at night. The abandoned Spring Garden station along the viaduct definitely creeps me out.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:12 PM

Thanks for your feedback, it was very helpful. I visited the area 3 times before making my decision to keep looking. I wasn't sure that I'd feel comfortable walking the 1 block from my car to the building late at night,taking the dog out late or walking back from the gym at 8:30pm. My cost with parking would have been close to $1400 per month and I can find that where I am.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:07 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,942 times
Yeah, that area isn't very good for on-street parking, which you find mainly in more traditional residential neighborhoods.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:56 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipistanisalsera View Post
Thanks for your feedback, it was very helpful. I visited the area 3 times before making my decision to keep looking. I wasn't sure that I'd feel comfortable walking the 1 block from my car to the building late at night,taking the dog out late or walking back from the gym at 8:30pm. My cost with parking would have been close to $1400 per month and I can find that where I am.
I think this will finally change a good chunk of that area. it's been VERY slowly improving but this rehab should really change the way 12th st feels, especially going to/from cc (the area is maybe a ten minute walk to reading terminal). 160 units is a substantial development.
Quote:

The brothers, who own Post Brothers Apartments, plan to gut it and renovate it into 160 upscale rental apartments. Although the sale went through just a month ago, work is already under way. Workers have rousted the squatters who laid claim to the property in recent years and have begun shoring up the dilapidated tower. Construction is expected to start in about six months, with the goal of opening in two years, according to the company.
Read more: Blighted building to become high-end apartments | Philadelphia Daily News | 11/18/2010
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Old 11-18-2010, 12:09 PM

28 posts, read 64,399 times
That would be awesome pman. The Loft District has been such an underdeveloped and ignored area since industry left. It's in a great location (proximity-wise) and has a lot going for it. It just needs to connect to other areas of town -- like Spring Garden district, CC, and maybe one day, the Western edge of Northern Liberties.

It's too bad that the area immediately West of NL and North of Loft District (forget the name) is so ghetto. Basically that entire area is PHA and projects, so it's hard to say if the Loft District will be able to connect anwhere North. I agree though, that this project will be a nice start for the entire area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia