Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:12 PM

4 posts, read 17,504 times

Advertisements

I am looking to purchase a home in the Francisville Area. ( specifically in the area of 19th and Cambridge. I am in my late 20s, female and unsure of the safety of this area. I keep hearing good things about the area and how it is the next up an coming area to live. I know there is quite a bit of new construction and rehabs going on in the area. If anyone has any info about this area I would love to hear it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 02:10 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,828,358 times
the area has been gradually improving over the years and shows all signs of continuing to do so. there are some parts to avoid, mainly ridge ave. at night id stick to fairmount and corinthian avenues to go north/south and east west for the tome being, at least on foot. thay said, cambridge seems like a tight block and its not the neighnorhoods most troublesome spot. it certainly seems like a good bet to keep improving and there have been a lot of small projects moving fwd

Old 10-04-2010, 04:32 PM

25 posts, read 50,961 times
16. Philadelphia, Pa.

Neighborhood: Broad St./Dauphin St.
Found Within ZIP Code(s): 19132, 19133
Predicted Annual Violent Crimes: 199
Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000): 117.13
My Chances of Becoming a Victim Here (in one year): 1 in 9
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Next: No. 15 Worst Neighborhood
Related Links:

Last edited by Yac; 10-22-2010 at 05:03 AM..

Old 10-04-2010, 04:33 PM

25 posts, read 50,961 times
15 Worst College Crime Areas

America's Top College Neighborhoods for Property Crime

By NeighborhoodScout.com

posted: 245 DAYS 6 HOURS AGO
filed under: College Finance, Insurance

PrintShare
Text SizeAAA

Justin Sullivan, Getty Images

NeighborhoodScout.com and WalletPop.com recently released a report on the most dangerous neighborhoods for property crime in the U.S. Surprisingly, this exclusive list included numerous neighborhoods which are adjacent to some of America's largest and most prestigious colleges and universities.

Seeking to explain this phenomenon, many local police departments responded to the story by citing a young, transient population who are often on their own for the first time, living in close quarters, and not securing their belongings, as potential reasons college neighborhoods may be some of the highest risk areas for burglary, theft and motor vehicle theft.

Readers suggested that they would like to know which college neighborhoods have the highest risk for property crime. In response, NeighborhoodScout has identified the Top 15 College Neighborhoods for Property Crime in America. These neighborhoods have the highest estimated rates of property crime per 1,000 residents of any college neighborhoods in America. These neighborhoods do not necessarily have high rates of violent crime, which is not included in the analysis.

Top 15 College Neighborhoods for Property Crime in the U.S.
(Note: Colleges can be included in the list more than once, since more than one neighborhood near a particular college can make the list. Each neighborhood, shown in parenthesis, will be listed separately in the order of its property crime rate.)

No. 1: U.C. Santa Barbara
Isla Vista, Calif.
(Ocean Rd. / El Colegio Rd.)
1,019 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 2: Univ. of Texas
Austin, Texas
(Lamar Blvd. / Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.)
613 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 3: Saint Louis Univ.
St. Louis, Mo.
(Chouteau Ave. / Compton Ave.)
603 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 4: U.C. Berkeley
Berkeley, Calif.
(Haste St. / College Ave.)
502 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 5: Ohio State
Columbus, Ohio
(Summit St. / 12th Ave.)
498 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 6: Ohio State
Columbus, Ohio
(Lane Ave. / Neil Ave.)
490 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 7: LeMoyne-Owen College
Memphis, Tenn.
(Owen College / Union Ave.)
483 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 8: Univ. of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, Penn.
(38th St. / Walnut St.)
459 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 9: Baylor
Waco, Texas
(3rd St. / Garden Dr.)
437 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 10: Univ. of Texas
Austin, Texas
(Lamar Blvd. / 24th St.)
435 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 11: Univ. of Akron
Akron, Ohio
(Thornton St. / Sumner St.)
427 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 12: Southwest Missouri State
Springfield, Mo.
(Southwest Missouri State U / Harrison St.)
419 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 13: Univ. of Southern California
Los Angeles, Calif.
(Figueroa St. / Adams Blvd.)
401 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 14: Univ. of South Carolina
Columbia, S.C.
(Whaley St. / Assembly St.)
394 property crimes per 1,000 residents

No. 15: Saint Louis University
St. Louis, Mo.
(Saint Louis U / Olive St.)
379 property crimes per 1,000 residents

Methodology

Old 10-04-2010, 05:13 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,942 times
Those posts of phillymedic's could be for another city for all it matters. Crime stats for an entire zip code and a university on the other side of town don't really reflect the street experience you may find wherever you decide to live. They're either too general (the zip code) or irrelevant (the UPenn one). Just know that area has been receiving a lot of attention and investment recently. It borders both really good areas, and really bad areas, so like any neighborhood going through a transition you need to watch out, be street smart. Before you do take the leap, as I would recommend anyone wanting to move to Philly, would be to visit where you plan on staying. Get a feel for the street and neighborhood. Are there areas you want to avoid, can you live with their proximity? Do the benefits of living there outweigh whatever perceived drawbacks you find? Take all this into consideration first. Stats don't really mean a whole lot unless you go and see for yourself. But again, like I said, its a transitioning area, and borders on some very nice areas, but also some very bad 'hoods further north into North Philly. You shouldn't have too big a problem avoiding those areas though as you probably won't have any reason going into those parts of the city.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillymedic View Post
16. Philadelphia, Pa.

Neighborhood: Broad St./Dauphin St.
Found Within ZIP Code(s): 19132, 19133
Predicted Annual Violent Crimes: 199
Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000): 117.13
My Chances of Becoming a Victim Here (in one year): 1 in 9

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Next: No. 15 Worst Neighborhood
Related Links:
francisville is 19130

Last edited by Yac; 10-22-2010 at 05:02 AM..

Old 12-29-2011, 08:46 PM

6 posts, read 17,794 times
How is the area between 16th and 17th and parrish street?

Old 12-29-2011, 09:53 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relientj274 View Post
How is the area between 16th and 17th and parrish street?
Visually, still pretty rough. I think the worst of the crime is on the other side of Girard Ave now. but I would still watch out. There has been some redevelopment going on in that area. You're only a few blocks away from Fairmount, and the neighborhood to the west and south has been seeing tons of new development. That's the heart of Francisville. The odd street orientation there is actually the remnants of a former town that grew up outside of the original city of Philadelphia.

Last edited by Marius Pontmercy; 12-29-2011 at 10:07 PM..

Old 12-29-2011, 11:56 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,783,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessy5_25 View Post
I am looking to purchase a home in the Francisville Area. ( specifically in the area of 19th and Cambridge.
Looks like crime could be quite a problem at that location according to "everyblock". Make sure you have good locks, an alarm system and don't park on the street.

917-926 N. 19th St. crimes | EveryBlock Philadelphia

Old 12-30-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Looks like crime could be quite a problem at that location according to "everyblock". Make sure you have good locks, an alarm system and don't park on the street.

917-926 N. 19th St. crimes | EveryBlock Philadelphia
you can park on the street just don't be stupid. crime could be better, but it's not unavoidable and getting better in that area every year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia