Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 10:21 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times

Advertisements

"Every block" is updated continuously so it is right now, December. They don't wait for a high crime period and then take a snap shot. Isn't crime usually lower in the winter then the summer? I may not know Francisville but I trust "Every block". If you want to believe it isn't accurate that is your business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 10:37 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
"Every block" is updated continuously so it is right now, December. They don't wait for a high crime period and then take a snap shot. Isn't crime usually lower in the winter then the summer? I may not know Francisville but I trust "Every block". If you want to believe it isn't accurate that is your business.
snapshots are taken at a certain point in time...so it could be a high crime or low crime period. you may have know everyblock but obviously know little else. a snapshot in time tells only a small story..in fact, it has been a high crime period for that area complete with am unusual mugging on corinthian which is usually a fairly safe street. my business is accuracy and I'm sorry if you don't appreciate met calling you out for talking through your cornhole. if you check the ppd stats, you'll find that crime has actually been higher the past few months, not lower, not that overall citywide crime trends have a whole lot to do with any one particular section of the city. it's interesting that you have a better grasp of crime trends than the ppd itself which acknowledges the often unpredictable nature of them...not following set patterns such as winter or summer..in fact, this year has been mostly the opposite. so really, you have little of value to add. you don't know what the crime rate was last year, five years ago, what it will be like next year, five years from now, you don't know anything about the neighborhood, you seemingly don't know where it is, yet you feel free to talk about it based on one month of crime data. gotcha.
I'd also point out that people have long been saying the same things about mifflin sq (5th st in south philly)..and now, all of a sudden, it's safe? either they were all wrong, it's changing.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
if you don't appreciate met calling you out for talking through your cornhole.
My bad. You are very smart and totally correct. You are too smart for me so I'll have to put you on "ignore"

Old 01-01-2012, 09:40 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
not sure why there was an outcry against everyblock. I think it's a useful tool. I've certainly never have heard of them inflating their stats. If anything sometimes crimes are under reported.

Everyblock shows that there are houses not far away where people are breaking into houses and being robbed at gunpoint. a pretty horrifying prospect. A less horrifying prospect: it also shows that if you are dumb enough to leave a cell phone and a computer in your car, it will get stolen.

I don't know why someone would argue with everyblock, or argue that francisville isn't still at the very least, somewhat dangerous.

But the fact is that although everyblock is useful tool, it is not perfect, and it should not be read as though it was the be all, end all, of what is safe and what is not.

Everyblock culls stats from the nearby area, but it doesn't really understand that there are often very severe boundaries between "good" and "bad" in this city. A lot of these crimes listed on everyblock... although very close to this area, are in a distinctly different area(not considered francisville).

If you put in an east passyunk address for example, even though the area is very safe, you'll actually find crimes listed on the other side of broad street in point breeze. East Passyunk and point breeze sit right next to each other. But they are are two entirely different worlds, and everyblock often fails to understand things like that. If you want to know what the 1200 block of federal st is like, the homicides taking place 5 blocks away on the 1700 block of federal st may be close by, but they're entirely irrelevant.

By the same token, if you're trying to learn about francisville, crimes that ocur a few blocks away from francisville, in the projects on master st, aren't very helpful in trying to understand the crime in francisville. I mean a major street (girard) and college separates francisville from these projects. physical proximity not withstanding, the crime there has little to do with francisville. And yet a number of the crimes on the link to everyblock you provided, occurred right in those projects.

Francisville is an area that is in transition. There is still crime in the area, and more importantly there are still high crime, low income areas nearby, meaning some crime spills over into the rapidly gentrifying Francisville.

Francisville is not society hill. You need to have some sense. You shouldn't walk down some streets late at night, you should secure your car and remove all valuables. If you do not have any street sense, francisville is probably not a good fit for you.

My point was simply that the level of danger in francisville isn't considerably higher than the area around miflin square, and despite a clear and present crime scene, francisville is far from a truly tough neighborhood like point breeze, where i would never recommend someone to move to.

While miflin sq may be a bit safer, francisville has so many other things going for it that miflin sq simply does not, much better transit access, architecture, culture, etc. Plus francisville is a very legitimately up and coming area with a lot of houses being remodeled and new construction going up. A house purchased in francisville is almost guaranteed to rise in value; miflin sq, not so much.

Quote:
^^^^^
I don't know the 1st thing about Francisville. I was only going by the crime stats in "every block" for the address she posted, because she was concerned about safety. They look pretty ominous and she deserves to know the truth. I also said that inexpensive houses are available in "safe" neighborhoods. Of course if the OP wants to ignore the crime stats then she will, but then why did she ask? As far as walking to center city from that address, well I guess it isn't impossible if you have the time, the stamina, and the right shoes
As I was saying while everyblock is accurate it doesn't understand the complexities of Philadelphia's many abrupt boundaries between "nice" areas and "very dangerous" areas. A lot of the crimes listed on that everyblock link were committed close by, but not technically in francisville, and crimes committed blocks away don't necessarily have an impact on the block we're talking about.

To call the crime stats for that block "ominous" i think is misleading; not the "truth" that you claim to be providing. If you narrow down those stats to only the crimes actually committed in the neighborhood we're talking about, there is very little violent crime. Mostly just a lot of car break ins... which isn't nice, but it's also far from "ominous".

Anyone who says there isn't some danger and crime in francisville is not being truthful and the OP deserves to be informed that there is a real threat of crime in the area. However to call the area ominous isn't really a more accurate look at the matter.

As far as claiming francisville isn't walking about to center city without stanima???

This address, which is basically on the far northen edge of francisville (read: furthest from center city) is still a very easy walk to center city. Logan circle is less than a 15 min walk away. You could be at the comcast center in 20. I mean aside from living in center city itself you really can't get much closer to center city than francisville. The northern edge of cc is 5 min away from the southern edge of francisville.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:05 AM

To phillies2011
I do have to respectfully disagree with you, both about the amount of crime I personally would find acceptable where I live and also the distance I would want to walk. However I do appreciate that you were able to make your case without being condescending or resorting to insults. Thanks for your opinion.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
To phillies2011
I do have to respectfully disagree with you, both about the amount of crime I personally would find acceptable where I live and also the distance I would want to walk. However I do appreciate that you were able to make your case without being condescending or resorting to insults. Thanks for your opinion.
Fair enough. To me a 20 min walk is nothing. I walk from bella vista to work in center city every day. I understand that others are more averse to walking though. The fact is though, regardless of your own personal walking preference, you can't really get much closer to vented city than francisville... so if francisville isn't walkable to center city then you're hard pressed to call much of anything walkable.

As far as crime goes... understand completely if the crime is too high for some. Just wanted to point out that there isnt very much of a difference between the crime in francisville and the crime on miflin sq, an area you described as safe.

High crime nearby does not mean that the area in question is high crime itself. Queen village in the Meredith school area is one of the more desirable areas for young families in the city. It is a block away from projects where there is high crime and multiple homicides in the past year. If you looked at everyblock and put in queen village address you would without a doubt see a lot of crime that occurred in the nearby projects. That doesn't mean that queen village itself is high crime. In the same way, just because francisville is by the projects doesn't mean its bad. Obviously the crime in francisville itself is higher than the crime in queen village itself and thus why qv is considered a great place to to raise a family and francisville is still considered dicey. Just wanted to point out the crime is not nearly as had as the impression you might get from just looking at everyblock and area that is definitly improving.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
High crime nearby does not mean that the area in question is high crime itself.
Just one point. When I moved to Philly 25 years ago I noticed most of the houses on Lombard and Pine and South sts west of Broad had bars on the windows and security doors (not so much these days) and I couldn't understand why. Seemed like a nice area. Then I discovered the area below Washington Av and I had my answer. Actually in those days it was bad below Bainbridge. So maybe in 25years Francisville will be ok. I will certainly be dead by then. I happened to be out today and drove all around francisville and all I can say is most of the people on the street did not inspire confidence.
Sorry. Again I appreciate the civilized debate though.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:12 PM

958 posts, read 1,198,341 times
People have their cars broken into everywhere in the area. Almost all of the time it's either because of druggies from the area or because they were stupid enough to leave nice things visible in their cars or even leave them unlocked. Same deal with burglaries.

There have been around 10 reports of people (as in not stores or establishments but individuals) being held up at gun or knifepoint this year in Clifton Heights alone. That doesn't mean that any of the places that surround it are places where you're likely to be robbed at gun or knifepoint, not even Westbrook Park which directly borders Clifton Heights and is basically a part of it. Not only that, those areas are getting worse, not better.

The area you're referring to is getting better though, not worse. If people were going to be killed in that area or robbed or burglarized, it would be happening already. It won't happen more in the future than it does now or did in the past. You're speaking of two completely different trends.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Just one point. When I moved to Philly 25 years ago I noticed most of the houses on Lombard and Pine and South sts west of Broad had bars on the windows and security doors (not so much these days) and I couldn't understand why. Seemed like a nice area. Then I discovered the area below Washington Av and I had my answer. Actually in those days it was bad below Bainbridge. So maybe in 25years Francisville will be ok. I will certainly be dead by then. I happened to be out today and drove all around francisville and all I can say is most of the people on the street did not inspire confidence.
Sorry. Again I appreciate the civilized debate though.
Fair points. Although I will say this. Although the area you're talking about probably hit its nadir around 25 years ago or so, meaning it has technically been improving since you came to town; most of this improvement has happened just in the past decade. In other words just because it took the 25 years you've been here for the area to improve, doesn't mean it has been actively improving over the entire period of the past quarter century. If you looked at the current pace of gentrification, rising home values, and new construction, I think francisville compares a lot better to the gradho area ten years ago than 25 years ago when u first arrives.

Basically don't be surprised if francisville is a lot closer to realizing its potential than you expect. You may live to see it after all!

Old 01-03-2012, 06:19 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Fair points. Although I will say this. Although the area you're talking about probably hit its nadir around 25 years ago or so, meaning it has technically been improving since you came to town; most of this improvement has happened just in the past decade. In other words just because it took the 25 years you've been here for the area to improve, doesn't mean it has been actively improving over the entire period of the past quarter century. If you looked at the current pace of gentrification, rising home values, and new construction, I think francisville compares a lot better to the gradho area ten years ago than 25 years ago when u first arrives.

Basically don't be surprised if francisville is a lot closer to realizing its potential than you expect. You may live to see it after all!
bingo, though I'm not sure the old dog is ready for new tricks. the thing is, it's already improving, and has been for some time. it really was a high crime area, it's no longer a high crime area, I'd rate it as medium and it now goes long periods without major crimes. some people live a long time but learn little. still, maybe bryson is dying, so when it's a good neighborhood in five or so years, he'll be dead. we don't know. I do know that he has no particular knowledge about the area or current trends or even prices. the area is growing much faster than it was in the 90's which is a large part of why things are moving more quickly. in addition, francisville doesn't have a lot of cranks so projects don't take years to get approved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia