Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:54 PM

316 posts, read 1,016,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallorca08! View Post
Thank you so much for all of the recommendations. To help you understand of what we are looking in Philly. We want to find a neighborhood that is comparable to Lincoln Park (vibrant, city feel, family oriented, parks, playgrounds, restaurants, boutiques, etc). My husband will be commuting to Collegeville 70% and 30% NYC and he doesn't mind commuting 45 mins to work as long as we can find a neighborhood where it will be safe for us to start a family and enjoy the city feel living. If we can find an area in the suburbs with excellent school system and close to city feel, we'd be interested as well. From all the posts, Center City and Jenkintown sound appealing to me. Does anyone like Rittenhouse area? Also, if you know of any good real estate agents, I'd appreciate any referrals. Thank you so much!! This is so helpful.
I think you need to really look into the Manayunk and East Falls areas of the city. Manayunk is the true target area, but East Falls is next to it with better parking and a nice area. This is going to be your best bet in terms of recreating a bit of the Lincoln Park feel and still being around 45 minutes from Collegeville.

You can also try Chestnut Hill and Jenkintown. Neither is like Lincoln Park. Chestnut Hill has most of what you are looking for though, just with a slightly more quaint feel. Its a really great area and has the restaurants and boutiques, but won't be as vibrant as Manayunk, its slightly calmer. Very common to see people pushing a stroller, walking and chatting with friends, sitting at a cafe having brunch, going into the shops, but not that common to see 20 somethings coming in to watch the game at the bar. Jenkintown is a suburb with a walkable downtown, doesn't have a city feel.

Rittenhouse is a great area, but truly, I think you need to stay away from Center City. Its going to put you far over that 45 minute commute. Its a great idea, but unless you are ready to embrace a longer commute, I don't think Center City is a good idea. And speaking as someone who knows Lincoln Park and realizes you are likely coming from a quick 20 minute commute on the El, I'd be careful in taking on over an hour commute, especially since you'd have to drive. If you are dead set on living in Center City, then you should probably just focus on the Art Museum area, at least living there, you will shave minutes off of your commute because it sits closer to the highways and roads that lead you to Collegeville. You'd still be over 45 minutes, but it would be better than other areas of Center City.

Other places to consider -Ambler, has a walkable downtown but again, like Jenkintown, it is a suburb. Also doesn't have a city feel, but like Jenkintown, a very nice area.

Also, another place to explore is West Chester. Its a suburb, but with the school and downtown has activity that makes it a bit more vibrant. The only problem is that its not close to the city. And given that were originally interested in living there, I'm guessing you don't want to be that far from it.

Best suggestions are Manayunk and East Falls. Then Chestnut Hill. I'd focus my search there. Look into the Art Museum area if you are determined to live in Center City.

Last edited by JasmineFlower; 07-28-2010 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 07:12 PM

434 posts, read 1,313,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallorca08! View Post
Hi PhillyViaBoston!

I appreciate your comment about Center City. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a few more questions. Do you feel safe walking or jogging around the city? Is there a particular street/streets that you would recommend? Are there mostly apartments and condo in Center City? As for nannies, is it easy to find a reputable nanny? Since I'm new to Philly and will know anyone so a place where I can find a good support structure is very important to me. First and foremost is finding a safe neighborhood. Any recommendations is greatly appreciated.
Hi. I always felt fine in Center City and wasn't concerned about my safety. The common sense safety precautions you'd take in any city apply the same in Center City.

You can probably read a lot in this forum about generalized differences between the various neighborhoods of Center City, but I think the best way to get a feel for what you would like best is to visit and walk around. I don't think any Center City neighborhood is necessarily better than another. It's more a matter of taste.

There are a lot of apartments & condos in Center City, but it's also pretty common to find nice row homes. Your price range seems to allow for all options.

My nanny searches (both in the city & the suburbs) were conducted primarily online. There are a few good sites that attract a lot of caretakers, and from that my husband & I did MANY interviews to find the best fit for our family.

Feel free to shoot me a direct message if I can give you any more detail on Center City life with a baby!

All this said, I really think a frequent commute from any part of Center City to Collegeville would be incredibly difficult. There's no way that's 45 minutes or less, and it would be a painful stop-and-go drive down a 2 lane highway (76) most of the distance.

It probably makes more sense for you guys to consider suburban communities that have nice downtown areas (Wayne, Phoenixville, maybe Chestnut Hill). It won't be city-living, but I suspect any "quality of life" you'll be sacrificing in a suburb you will more than make up for by not being regularly subjected to the hell of 76.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:32 AM

434 posts, read 1,313,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
It probably makes more sense for you guys to consider suburban communities that have nice downtown areas (Wayne, Phoenixville, maybe Chestnut Hill). It won't be city-living, but I suspect any "quality of life" you'll be sacrificing in a suburb you will more than make up for by not being regularly subjected to the hell of 76.
By the way, I say this as someone who herself went kicking-and-screaming to the suburbs. I understand what you'd be giving up by not living in the city. It's a tough trade-off! (I'm now in Nether Providence - walking distance to the shops & restaurants in Media - and very happy with the area. I'd recommend, but I think you can get equivalent or maybe better even closer to Collegeville.)

Old 07-29-2010, 08:02 AM

316 posts, read 1,016,225 times
I just wanted to mention something I realized might be misleading. The suburban communities that have downtown areas? They are walkable, but small, only a couple of blocks. I'm talking about downtowns in Wayne, Jenkintown, Ambler, etc.. It occurred to me us saying "nice downtown area" in the suburbs might make you think there was somewhat of an Evanston feel, or even Oak Park. Its not. At all. Nowhere near that kind of activity and variety, nowhere near that size of a downtown, not even close to one fourth the size of Evanston's downtown. Just wanted to clear that up so your expectations will be close to what you see once you get a chance to visit or what you are imagining as you consider which area will work best for you.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,260 times
Hi Jasmine Flower,
Sorry to approach you via direct message but we are desperately looking for Evanston like place here in Philly area. You posts show that you're very familiar with Chicago and Philly area. We lived in Evanston, then S. Cali and recently (June '10) have moved to NE Phila. I was looking for an Evanston 'feel', but NE is way far from it..
We are thinking about moving to the Center City, specifically Art Museum area, at Spring Garden St and 21st. Are you familiar with the area? Is it family friendly ? (we have two little kids). Any other areas that you could recommend that are family friendly in Center City? We can't afford Rittenhouse square or Society Hill, other than that, my husband works in Temple U and we are looking to rent.

thank you in advance

Old 08-10-2010, 02:01 PM

59 posts, read 167,506 times
Can you describe the "Evanston" feel? Maybe then we can help you find communities that you will like.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:31 PM

6 posts, read 15,191 times
Default nether providenc

Hi
thank you so much for the info. I looked into your current area and it seems like a very nice area.If you don't mind me asking few questions.

1. How far is it from Center City and Collegeville?
2. Is there an area that I can walk to rests/caves/grocery/etc
3. How is the school system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
By the way, I say this as someone who herself went kicking-and-screaming to the suburbs. I understand what you'd be giving up by not living in the city. It's a tough trade-off! (I'm now in Nether Providence - walking distance to the shops & restaurants in Media - and very happy with the area. I'd recommend, but I think you can get equivalent or maybe better even closer to Collegeville.)

Old 08-10-2010, 09:39 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
RE: An Evanston feel... I haven't lived in Chicagoland but based on my observations as well as thoughts from area friends, Evanston appears to be a small city with a collegiate appeal via Northwestern U. There's no direct equivalent to that in the Philly metro. Jenkintown may be the closest minus the college flavor (although Manor College is tucked away somewhere). Bryn Mawr, Haverford and West Chester are known for their namesake schools but are definitely more suburban than Evanston. The first two, at least, are part of the prosperous string of Main Line towns so perhaps that would be a consideration.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:09 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
I've been to Evanston when I visited NU with my brother, and there's nothing like it in the Philly suburbs.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:52 AM

59 posts, read 167,506 times
You might consider Haddonfield, NJ. It is a decent commute to Phila via train or road, there is a Main Street with shops and restaurants, great schools, and a close community feeling. The housing stock tends toward colonial, but there are contemporary homes as well. If you like going to the beaches in the summer (aka The Shore) you'll cut the drive time by living in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia