Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 09:08 AM

45 posts, read 112,985 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I've been reading through the city-data forums for quite a while and would like to thank you all for your great help. For a foreigner such as myself the aid these forums offer is invaluable.
My wife, 1 y/o son and me are scheduled to relocate to Philadelphia in 8 month's time and I've been researching the area. I've been considering Philadelphia city-center, A spot half-way between NY and Philadelphia and South Jersey.
I've narrowed my search down to the Main Line and Haddonfield with the Main Line as my preferred option.
When are you moving? December 2010
Where are you coming from? Israel
Why are you moving? 3 year Relocation
Where will you be working? Philadelphia city center (probably) and 19111 area (near Cheltenham).
Have you been here yet? No. Planning to.

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Since we're looking into the suburbs I'd Pref. a single-famliy home or a townhouse. Willing to spend somewhere in the vicinity of $2,000-$2,500. A 3 BR would be ideal. If unrealistic please say so. I'd prefere something with a more modern feel - not all that important.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married + 1
Do you prefer public or private schools? Some form of quality day care is important as my son will be 1.8 y/o. Other than that the school system is not relevant other than as a general indicator for the quality of the area.

Do you have pets? No
Are you keeping a car? I imagine we will be

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Restaurants and coffee shops, a cinema and some form of downtown would be desirable (not too rural, we're currently living in Tel-Aviv – a bustling city).

What do you want to be closest to? Work – I guess this means train station.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? A JCC in the vicinity may be useful, although I'm not familiar with the activities. Perhaps for day care (?). Anyway - not of critical importance

I've been having a hard time telling one main line town from the other (having read all the "differences" threads already). I'll be looking into Haddonfield as well but the general feel of the Main Line seems right.
I would appreciate your recommendations including some recommendations on real-estate agents/websites for the area. Also we will be visiting the area – any recommendations on where to visit would be great as well.

Last edited by dorianwales; 04-24-2010 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 09:25 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,176,024 times
Jenkintown! And Elkins Park as well. These are in or near the general Abington/Cheltenham Township areas where there is a significant Jewish population particularly east of Old York Road (Route 611).

The Old York Road section of Jenkintown essentially acts as the downtown for the area although there are other shopping areas as well. Still, it will seem laid-back compared to things happening in Philly itself.

The Jenkintown/Wyncote train station is the hub for several routes into the city although there are other train stations nearby. You would be about 20-25 minutes from Center City (what we call our downtown).

The only thing I can't totally verify is whether your rental budget would fit. I think it would but I can't speak from experience.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:50 AM

9 posts, read 19,460 times
Jenkintown would be good.
If you're really interested in the Main Line Wayne is a nice place with a train to get into the city, too.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:06 PM

Thank you. Haven't seen Jenkintown/Elkins Park brought up before. Obviously these should be on my radar. Are there considered "appreciated" towns? I've seen all these recommendations on the Main Line I focused my efforts there.

Just out of curiosity - Why have you ruled out Lower Merion/Narberth/Bala Cynwynd area?

Old 04-25-2010, 12:27 PM

184 posts, read 751,432 times
The main line would be fine for you but Jenkintown would be a more obvious place to live because the commute from the main line to Cheltenham is awkward.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:22 PM

9 posts, read 19,460 times
Appreciated? Definitely
Generally, anywhere along the Main Line is going to be very nice, safe, and clean.
I'm sure the school systems are top notch.
Narberth is cool because it's even closer to Philadelphia than Wayne.
Great restaurants on the Main Line, too.

Jenkintown would be better because it's closer to Cheltenham but you can't go wrong with the Main Line if you're willing to commute more.

The Main Line has a reputation in this area for being high end/wealthy/rich...etc.
That's because it is!

Old 04-25-2010, 01:33 PM

Google Maps puts Bala-Cynwynd at a 30 min. drive (10 miles) away from 19111. I imagine that's somewhat optimistic?
I need to take a closer look at Jenkintown but it seems to be more debatable than others as far as quality of living goes. Perhaps I'm wrong. Just quickly jumping to conclusions...

Old 04-25-2010, 01:44 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,569,337 times
Haddonfield, NJ would be a great choice.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:19 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,176,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Haddonfield, NJ would be a great choice.
Although that would be an unnecessarily long commute to Cheltenham, unless tax issues were important. As the OP intends to rent for three years, that may not be the case.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:11 AM

51 posts, read 166,723 times
Default Jenkintown: Quality of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorianwales View Post
Google Maps puts Bala-Cynwynd at a 30 min. drive (10 miles) away from 19111. I imagine that's somewhat optimistic?
I need to take a closer look at Jenkintown but it seems to be more debatable than others as far as quality of living goes. Perhaps I'm wrong. Just quickly jumping to conclusions...

Curious...what is your perception about a debatable about quality of living in Jenkintown? I sense your desire is to move to the Main Line, which is absolutely one of the best suburban places to move in the Phialdelphia area. I think people have been recommending Jenkintown/Abington because it offers good opportunties for housing, schools and quality of life. That being said, you seem to have "heard" something different....feel free to share as it might benefit others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia