Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: cats, dogs, or both?
i consider myself a cat person and i only have cats. 7 9.86%
i consider myself a dog person and i only have dogs 11 15.49%
i consider myself a cat person and i have both cats and dogs. 13 18.31%
i consider myself a dog person and i have both cats and dogs. 12 16.90%
i don't consider myself a cat or a dog person, i like them all equally! 28 39.44%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 06:30 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,685,538 times

Advertisements

i'm kind of curious about the makeup of this board in terms of pets. it seems like most people consider themselves "cat people" or "dog people", and some people really dislike one or the other, but a lot of people have both. i'd also like to hear why people like or dislike cats or dogs. please respect each others' opinions!

bonus if you post pictures of interspecies interaction!

personally, i consider myself a cat person. i grew up with cats, and while i love dogs and have a dog that i adore, i identify more with cats' personality types. and it might be selfish, but i like the fact that one of my cats is really only affectionate with people she knows really well, and clearly likes me better than anyone. of course, my dog clearly likes me the best too, but since she is a dog she pretty much loves everyone she meets as well.

apologies to people with non cat/dog pets! i'm sure there will be a poll for you someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 06:40 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,088,595 times
I'm both!

Old 02-21-2010, 09:13 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,500,859 times
We have 4 dogs, 3 cats, a parrot, a cockatiel, 4 rabbits, 26 chickens and a rooster. I have had hamsters, rats, mice, turkey, parakeets, snakes and fish. I have always had animals around me, even as a kid. I was conceived on a dairy farm and farming or ranching are in both my Mom and Dads blood.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:16 PM

511 posts, read 2,200,795 times
I grew up with cats... one cat, in particular- Bootsie... My mom got her as a kitten about a year before I was born and she passed away in her twenties, so she was around for most of my entire life (I'm 26). I loved Bootsie & I loved all cats... Twice I ended up adopting stays when I was a kid, Felix & then later Jack. So I always have thought of myself as a cat person.

That said, I am a dog person, who has both...

After years of living without a cat after moving out on my own, I have realized I am no longer a cat person. I still like cats, they're just not my fav. anymore. I think it comes down to the fact that I can do more things with the dog and that creates a deeper bond for me... I can't take the cat camping. I can't bring the cat to the park or for a walk in the woods. It feels like there's more of a connection with the dog... more understanding between us... more of a mutual friendship than with the cat. The cat is "I love you because you give me food", the dog is "I love you because you're my friend."

Anyways, here's the crew: Riley & Loki.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,869,572 times
So cute that they get along so well.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:39 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,973,193 times
I don't necessarily dislike cats, I just don't want to share my house with any. I get along just fine with other people's cats, as long as they don't rub up against me and/or do that dough kneading thing with their paws. They really annoy me when they don't get out of my way when I'm walking. I can't stand an underfoot animal.

I won't have a litter box in the house, so even if I wanted a cat I couldn't have one. Outside cats around here have a tendency to end up squashed by 18 wheelers. I've found 3 dead stray cats hit by trucks and tossed into my yard by the impact. That's not counting the many I've seen smashed into the asphalt on the busy main drag outside my front fence.

Nanners hates cats anyway, and according to the people from whom I adopted her, she has a history of killing them.

So, no cats in this household for a variety of reasons.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,629,273 times
Cats - cute as babies, pretty as adults, good for other people, not for me. I would likely have cats outdoors/in outbuildings if I lived on a farm again, but no indoor cats, thanks. I don't do litterboxes. Even if my SO weren't allergic, I wouldn't be a fan of having a cat in the house. I like other people's cats fine. In their houses.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:33 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,186,341 times
Dogs my vote - however cats been my entire life. Only had three dogs in all my life - each lived 16 years. My dog is my constant compaion sharing life with me. My cats are my medicine, healers, kinders, cuddlers, main stay when I am upset. Dog gets scared. If I have to give up one or another it would be cats sorry kitties, but my dog is my partner in traveling.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:48 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,685,538 times
i do find that i have a lot more to say about my dog - i love my cats, but for instance i don't post in the cat board much. with dogs there's training, activities, gear, etc to talk about. i talk about that stuff especially much because it's all pretty new to me. with my cats it's like, well, i settled on a food for them long ago, i know the specific toys they like, they snuggle adorably with me and the dog and each other, i love them and love spending time with them, and that's about all there is to say. it doesn't make them less satisfying pets, i just have less to think about with them.

i think it's telling that despite the fact that i have 3 (until recently 4) cats and i only got a dog about a year and a half ago, everyone at my work now thinks of me as a dog person.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:11 AM

631 posts, read 1,291,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I'm both!
That cat looks terrified! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets