Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: cats, dogs, or both?
i consider myself a cat person and i only have cats. 7 9.86%
i consider myself a dog person and i only have dogs 11 15.49%
i consider myself a cat person and i have both cats and dogs. 13 18.31%
i consider myself a dog person and i have both cats and dogs. 12 16.90%
i don't consider myself a cat or a dog person, i like them all equally! 28 39.44%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:50 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,689,263 times

Advertisements

oh and my cats are definitely about more than "you give me food!" the ones that are bonded to me stay bonded to me despite the fact that my husband gives them their wet food every day, for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 09:18 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,983,087 times
I used to be a dog person. It took adopting a cat who'd been abandoned at my workplace to open me up to the unique joys of feline companionship. I suppose it's a little like having children who are very different from each other. I love them the same...but different!

Old 02-22-2010, 07:24 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,456,343 times
I use to be mainly a dog person....but then the cats entered our lives...Now I am a dog and a cat person.
Dylan and the youngest of the cats...Jax, a Munchkin kitten..they are the best of buds:

Old 02-22-2010, 07:41 PM

445 posts, read 1,450,210 times
I'm a cat person all the way. I have a lazy temperament and am not a disciplinarian. However, something changed when we got Louie the Bulldog. When he's not here, it's very peaceful but I feel like something is missing. It's like, "Oh, it's so nice to relax without Louie!" but on the other hand, "It's so boring! I miss Louie!"

I'm certainly not the ideal dog owner, but I'm doing my best. For instance, I had a problem with walking Louie. I posted about it here and Viralmd gave me some good advice. It's made an incredible difference! I take Louie out with a pocket of cheese and I'm his favorite person!

I used to dislike/fear many dogs before we got Louie (I was bitten by a German Shepherd as a kid). Now, after a year of handling a rambunctious, loving, bulldog puppy, I have equal love for cats and dogs. Thank you, Louie, for opening my heart to dogs.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:52 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,884,655 times
I love the dogs for the loyalty and devotion they show, but I also love my cats for the same reason. My cats come when called, sleep right next to me, and have to be where they can keep their eyes on me during the day. The dogs come when called and want attention, but they are also happy to sleep on their beds at times when I am in the back.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:17 PM

426 posts, read 1,572,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
personally, i consider myself a cat person. i grew up with cats, and while i love dogs and have a dog that i adore, i identify more with cats' personality types.
Yeah, pretty much that. My dog is very cat-like. I always wanted a dog as a kid, and I had a GSD for a while. But now that I've spent a lot more time around dogs (volunteering at the shelter) I realize that I couldn't live with the majority of them. I may or may not have another dog after she's gone. But I definitely will never be without cats!

I seriously think that my dog was raised by cats. She doesn't care much for dogs, but tries to be friends with cats and is, I think, kind of hurt that most of our cats act like she has cooties. The one kitten, though, seems to think she's a dog herself, and follows us around the block on walks. She even saw the dog pooping on the grass, and for the longest time would NOT use the litterbox like the other cats - she had to poo on the grass like the dog! No joke!

They're best buddies:

Oh, and I'm the same way, Groar - I talk way more about my dog than my cats! I'm really into dog training and the whole communication, tricks, etc. thing. Some people train their cats, but to me cats are more like ambience. The cats belong to the house, the dog belongs to wherever I am. But I'm much more cuddly with the cats, which I'm not sure the dog appreciates! Cats are for cuddling, and dogs are for going hiking with.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:48 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,281,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
apologies to people with non cat/dog pets! i'm sure there will be a poll for you someday.

Fine. I will go hug my birds now. Harumph.

I grew up with cats and dogs, though, and love them both.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:11 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,089,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
That cat looks terrified! lol
Nah...she would run around my dog's feet all the time...lol! I think my dog was more terrified!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:06 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,689,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
But I'm much more cuddly with the cats, which I'm not sure the dog appreciates! Cats are for cuddling, and dogs are for going hiking with.
i cuddle with everyone! preferably all together.

i also pick up my (50 lb) dog and carry her like a baby, i can't tell if she exactly likes it, but she doesn't seem to mind at all.

she actually is less into cuddling than i am. at night we usually end up with her between my husband and i, leaning against one of our legs, and a cat or three up around the top of us. one sits on top of me, one tends to sit in front of me (whatever direction i'm facing) and the other does the latter with my husband.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:35 PM

218 posts, read 563,369 times
I'm mainly a dog person but I have a cat too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets