Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:22 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times

Advertisements

Natural Balance has added cans as well http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/

(Sorry for other new thread, I was freaked)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 12:41 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
This situation is really getting beyond disgusting already. I wish we could do something!

Old 04-27-2007, 01:43 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,285 times
The Atlanta Journal Constitution (AJC.COM) had a small article about the recalled foods having been given to a number of hog farms throughout the country, this to help get rid of the tainted products.... Today there was an update that thousands of hogs now have to be euthanized to prevent the hogs from ending up in the food industries.

They gave the recalled foods to hogs???? Good Lord, these are grown men making decisions like this. I ask you; is there anyone on this forum that would make these kinds of decisions?????

Old 04-27-2007, 04:52 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
Well, the news has been saying our food supply is going to be hit, and I feel this is it. Who can see this and not expect our human supply to have some of the contaminated grain in it? What about bread (grain bread with whole wheat?). I have read that possible contamination could be in crackers, cereal, pasta, health bars, etc. Please everyone be careful about what you feed your pets, also your children and yourselves.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:26 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
Default Update

<<<There have been more cat and dog food recalls today. If you
recieved our update from earlier today, please be advised
this is for "additional" brands. The FDA just released this
information.

This includes an extended list of Blue Buffalo, Canine Caviar,
Harmony Farms, plus more. To get the updated list please visit:
http://nationalpetfoundation.com/dog...nutrition.html

Sign your family and friends up for the free pet alerts at:
http://nationalpetfoundation.com/pet-food-recall.html

Please help get the word out and forward this email to any
pet owners you know. Our goal is to keep our pets safe.

http://nationalpetfoundation.com/dog...nutrition.html

Thanks to FedUp for this valuable link for the emails!

Old 04-28-2007, 06:04 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Some of this info may be duplication (my apologies), but better that than not knowing...it may well be in our (human) foods too. I may have too go veggies for a while until the dust settles.

Hi all,

There were many additional pet food recalls announced yesterday. Many of latest recalls are because the manufacturing plant added the tainted rice protein without notifying the pet food companies. This means the tainted ingredient did NOT appear on the pet food labels!

Thursday Recalls (most coming only hours after the FDA stated they didn't expect any more recalls...):

- Blue Buffalo recalled ALL Blue can dog food, Spa Select can cat foods and Blue Health Bar treats
- Dr. Foster & Smith recalled some dog and cat foods
- Natural Balance recalled some canned dog and cat food
- Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul recalled some cat and dog canned food
- Lick Your Chops recalled some cat food
- SmartPak realled another food
- CostCo recall some of their Kirkland canned food
- Diamond Brand recalled some canned food

Visit each manufacturer's website for more info on recalled products or check the postings at Itchmo (link below.)

So far, more than 889 separate items have been recalled under more than 100 different brand names

Leftover tainted pet food was fed to hogs on hog farms (and possibly one or more chicken farms, too) in at least 6 states. Several hundred of those hogs were slaughtered and shipped out. They're still trying to track where that pork went.

The FDA has decided to test the following imported raw ingredients as well as human and pet foods already manufactured that contain those ingredients:
- wheat gluten
- corn gluten
- corn meal
- soy protein
- rice bran
- rice protein concentrate

So this could easily continue to expand and expand and expand. Visit the PetConnection and/or Itchmo every day to make sure what you feed your pet isn't added to the recall list.

http://www.petconnection.com
http://www.itchmo.com/
http://www.labservices.uoguelph.ca/urgent.cfm

The FDA's latest death toll is " maybe 17 or 18." Every other source says it's at least 4,000 cats and dogs. Itchmo is asking owners of pets who died to mail postcards to the FDA and the media so they can no longer deny the true death toll. Visit Itchmo for more info on the postcard campaign.Spread the word so we can keep our pets safe. Permission to cross post granted.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:12 AM

http://www.itchmo.com - an excellent! site. Be sure to click on some of the links. There's a link also for homecooking for your pets. Here's an excerpt from the site:

FDA: We aren’t aware of any other potential recalls at this time involving either pet food produced from contaminated wheat gluten or from contaminated rice protein concentrate. As we say time and again, the investigation is open, we continue to follow the trail, but we don’t have anything else that we expect to emerge.

This conference from Thursday afternoon was followed (and actually preceeded) by hours of frenzied recall activity at the Itchmo World HQ and at other pet blogs. It even continued into today.

We shudder to think how a handful of pet owners with typing skills were able to make the FDA look so foolish.

Check out all the links to be informed.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:05 AM

20 posts, read 62,550 times
This has all been so scary. My cat's weren't affected, thank goodness. However, I was extremely annoyed by the fact that some of the treats recalled were also for ferrets. I own two myself and I didn't know about this till my grandparents called to warn me.

I really feel like even though it was only one or two brands of treats, even if they could be fed to several animals it shouldv'e been mentioned that this affected more than just cats and dogs.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:56 PM

This may have been mentioned in one of the other related topics - but I heard on the news yesterday that contaminated feed has been fed to chickens, and that some of them may have reached the stores. "They" are saying that the risk to humans is small or non-existent.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:01 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
This may have been mentioned in one of the other related topics - but I heard on the news yesterday that contaminated feed has been fed to chickens, and that some of them may have reached the stores. "They" are saying that the risk to humans is small or non-existent.
I read a article about it today. It also said that most of those chickens, broiler chickens only, from farms in Illinois, had already made it to the stores and had been consumed....by last March!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets