Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 07:05 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times

Advertisements

April 19, 2007

Dear Royal Canin USA Customer,

It is with sincere regret that I inform you of a new and unfortunate
development with some of our pet food products.

Although we have no confirmed cases of illness in pets, we have decided to
voluntarily remove the following dry pet food products that contain rice
protein concentrate due to the presence of a melamine derivative.

ROYAL CANIN SENSIBLE CHOICER (available in pet specialty stores nationwide)

- Chicken Meal & Rice Formula Senior DRY DOG FOOD
- Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Puppy DRY DOG FOOD
- Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Adult DRY DOG FOOD
- Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Senior DRY DOG FOOD
- Rice & Catfish Meal Formula Adult DRY DOG FOOD

ROYAL CANIN VETERINARY DIETT (available only in veterinary clinics)

- Canine Early Cardiac EC 22T
- Canine Skin Support SS21T
- Feline Hypoallergenic HP23T\

ALL PRODUCTS WITH AN EXPIRATION DATE OF APRIL 19TH, 2008 ARE MADE WITHOUT
CHINESE SOURCED VEGETABLE PROTEINS AND ARE SAFE.

We are taking this proactive stance to voluntarily recall these products to
avoid any confusion for our customers about which Royal Canin USA products
are safe and which products may be affected.

Pet owners should immediately stop feeding their pets the Royal Canin USA
dry pet food products listed above. Pet owners should consult with a
veterinarian if they are concerned about the health of their pet. No other
Royal Canin diets are affected by this recall and CONTINUE TO BE safe for
pets to eat.

In addition, Royal Canin USA will no longer use any Chinese suppliers for
any of our vegetable proteins.

More at http://www.royalcanin.us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 09:38 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
It looks to have no end to it. I wonder if this has made it into our human food?

Old 04-21-2007, 05:01 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,651 times
Good question Cassy, that is coming here, soon I bet. I use Solid gold for my new puppy, I buy it at her pet store...no problems so far, sick that people would do this, just plain sick!

Old 04-21-2007, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,272 times
There seems to be more and more of a problem everyday with the pet food recall. They're not even listing the products until they're sure they are tainted which sometimes is too late. I've started looking for recipes for homemade dog food so that I won't have to take a chance on feeding my baby anything that is tainted. I've listed a few recipes on my blog if anyone is interested . http://petfoodrecall-dogs.blogspot.com/

Old 04-22-2007, 06:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Canidae and Felidae are in no way affected by the recall.

Canidae

Old 04-22-2007, 09:09 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Canidae and Felidae are in no way affected by the recall.

Canidae
Nor are Blackwood, Eagle Pack, Innova/Innova Evo or Nature's Variety. We sell all these brands where I work.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:35 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Agreed...when the menu foods recall first started, they were saying oh it's only this, this and this and then the list kept growing and growing and they are still adding things! I am a firm believer in better safe than sorry.

We just had a meeting at work today about different diets and what we will recommend and what we won't. We have one vet that will never (and wouldn't even before the big recall) recommend any science diet or hills product ever again. Our clinic seems to be following her lead and moving away from the hills products if there is a good alternative (which is sometimes tough since they have a wide line of prescription diets).
Why wouldn't you recommend Science Diet? That is one of the brands that hasn't been recalled?

Old 04-22-2007, 03:11 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Why wouldn't you recommend Science Diet? That is one of the brands that hasn't been recalled?
May want to check out other threads and sites regarding dog foods. There are reasons vets push this, which a quick Google will yeild much info.

Here is the Hill's WD ("Prescription".) http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...uct=1077&cat=7 (broken link)

Ground Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose, Peanut Hulls, Chicken by-product Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Meal, Soybean Mill Run, Dried Egg Product, Soybean Oil, Corn Gluten Meal, Iron Oxide, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin ...

Pros:
Cons: Inadequate meat content, use of by-products, low quality grain fragments, carcinogenic chemical preservatives,

The first ingredient in this food is Corn. Corn is a difficult to digest grain, which limits its nutritional value for dogs. We consider this to be a low quality ingredient. It is also commonly associated with allergy and skin problems.Corn appears a second time on the ingredient list as corn gluten meal. This is the "dried residue from corn after the removal of the larger part of the starch and germ .... In plain English, that which remains after all the nutritious bits have been removed. Powdered cellulose is further filler - more commonly known as sawdust. Peanut hulls are the ground outer casings of peanuts, and an utter waste product.

This food uses by-products as the sole meat-related ingredient. Chicken by-product meal - a very low quality ingredient...>>>>

You can get much better food than this for the same (rip-off) money. Some Hill's prescription (vet sold) for cats has been recalled.

Oops, good point, Cleosmom :>) Ditto -- (just read the unquoted part :>) :>)

Last edited by Travel'r; 04-22-2007 at 04:36 PM..

Old 04-22-2007, 03:12 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
You asked Turtle, not me, but if you don't mind I'll toss my two cents in. SD is low quality, full of chemical preservatives and by-products which can be who knows what! Not too mention that the first ingredient in most SD formulas is corn which means there's more corn in the food than anything else.... that's nothing but a filler!

Old 04-22-2007, 04:52 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Well guys, I went and bought the Innova Evo silver bag for my fat little dog yesterday. He loves it. Then again, what doesn't he like? And also got the Evo treats.

Today I made them ground turkey stew again. Don't laugh, but I made some mashed potatoes for me and threw in some of the stew. Darn! It was goodddddd. :-) Gotta try that again. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets