Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2007, 06:54 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times

Advertisements

Pet Food Recall: More Cat & Dog Food, Ferret Food Added to Recall List

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Jeff Freeland
May 18, 2007

Pet food recall expands again. This latest recall involves a company called Chenango Valley Pet Foods and they have issued a recall of additional pet foods. The company, which previously recalled dry pet food, announced today it's pulling more food -- including for ferrets -- off the market out of fears they were cross-contaminated with rice protein concentrate from China.

Pet Food Recall: More Cat & Dog Food, Ferret Food Added to Recall List

The ingredient, imported by a San Francisco company through Portland, tested positive for melamine, a chemical used to make plastics, and cyanuric acid, which is used in swimming pools. Scientists believe the combination of the two substances killed scores of pets nationwide.

The additional recalled pet foods include Doctors Foster & Smith Lamb & Brown Rice Formula Adult Dog Food, Ship Rite Red-Mixt Dog Food for Dogs, Lick Your Chops Kitten & Cat Food, Shep chunk-style dog food, 8 in 1 Ferret Ultra-Blend Advanced Nutrition Diet, Bulk Lamb & Brown Rice Formula Dog food, Healthy Diet Cat Food Chicken & Rice Dinner, and Evolve Kitten Formula.

The FDA reports that no illnesses or injuries have been reported to date. Pet owners who purchased the pet foods should immediately discontinue using the products and return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. Pet owners should consult with a veterinarian if they have any health concerns with their pet.

Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-610-821-0608.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 04:14 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,858 times
anyone have a good easy recipe for dogfood? I'm just up to here with all this pet food recalling business.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:19 PM

aiangel, have you tried looking up the BARF diet? It's actually easier than it looks - to hold down costs, I have a deal with my local grocery store - they let me have all the produce (that dogs can eat) that they have pulled off the shelf - there's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't look as pretty - and then I feed raw chicken backs - I have 750 lbs. of Rottweilers to feed daily, so it's kind of impressive....but I run the veggies through the food processor, throw in some garlic, yogurt, and fish oil and give them a big glob of that and a half chicken back twice a day. It's a pain in the butt, but I haven't had to worry about all the recalls at all.....we buy chicken backs in lots of 40 lbs. @ .49/lb.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:39 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,858 times
thanks. will have to see if I can get something similiar. I only have one lab, but he is my baby. thank you very much.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
thanks. will have to see if I can get something similiar. I only have one lab, but he is my baby. thank you very much.
You're more than welcome - please do Google BARF diet - make sure you don't give your dog anything that is toxic to him....and I also throw a little yogurt in there, or eggs or whatever (you can feed shell and all on the eggs, and as long as the chicken is raw, your dog can eat it without difficulty - although some people do run their meat and bones through a grinder. I don't - the bones clean their teeth - with 7 dogs, you gotta cut back somewhere!)

Old 05-20-2007, 07:37 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
You're more than welcome - please do Google BARF diet - make sure you don't give your dog anything that is toxic to him....and I also throw a little yogurt in there, or eggs or whatever (you can feed shell and all on the eggs, and as long as the chicken is raw, your dog can eat it without difficulty - although some people do run their meat and bones through a grinder. I don't - the bones clean their teeth - with 7 dogs, you gotta cut back somewhere!)
I hope you're cooking your eggs. I understand that raw egg white destroys vitamins in the dog's system, so we should never feed the eggs raw.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:57 AM

For 120 lbs. dogs, the raw egg white every few days will not hurt....mostly I boil or scramble the eggs if there is time. They primarily get fish and chicken and raw veggies and fruits. I agree - with small dogs, the egg white isn't good for them - if you do raw, just take the white off.

Check the markdown bin at the grocer's as well - if there is one - sometimes you can get fish really cheap if you're inland and don't have a source for cheap fresh fish - and canned jack mackeral or tuna is very good for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets