Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 01:04 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,634,583 times

Advertisements

Group president: Winfrey uses ‘powerful voice to defend those without one’

Animal-rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has named Oprah Winfrey its “Person of the Year.”

PETA names Oprah ‘Person of the Year’ - Celebrities- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 09:53 AM

340 posts, read 646,214 times
Her show did do some great work on that week-long expose of puppy mills.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:04 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,928,226 times
oprah wears fur so either PETA sold out for some cheap publicity or they don't believe what they advocate.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:12 PM

321 posts, read 1,557,728 times
I think Oprah's still got a lot to learn. Good for her for exposing puppy mills, but a lot of people think that all breeders, even the responsible ones, are puppy mills. The word breeder is a dirty word according to a lot of people.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:07 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,614,954 times
I can no longer respect Oprah. She may have helped with the puppy mill situation which is good. But just the fact that she would have her name tied to such an extremist group is totally distasteful. I show my dogs and also test for hereditary health issues, Responsible breeders take care of what they produce. Any animal I have placed goes with health certification and a promise from me to take the animal back if the new owners can no longer care for that animal. All pets are spayed or nuetered before placing. They hope to get rid of all breeders. It will be a great shame when there are no longer companion animals for people. Companion animals will be greatly missed by many who they help.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:56 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,419,666 times
I hope she told PETA where to stick their "award".

Old 12-24-2008, 06:48 AM

340 posts, read 646,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon R. View Post
I think Oprah's still got a lot to learn. Good for her for exposing puppy mills, but a lot of people think that all breeders, even the responsible ones, are puppy mills. The word breeder is a dirty word according to a lot of people.
A lot of people do think that. I can't recall if she highlighted responsible breeders or not; if she did, she may have stated that responsible breeders never sell to pet stores. I advocate adoption, but I do believe that responsible breeders hold themselves to a higher standard than the run of the mill backyard breeder or puppy mill owner. Responsible breeders allow you to see the parents, have proper documentation, and will accept a dog back at any point in its life for whatever reason.

But you do have to see where some people are coming from, with millions of companion animals being killed in shelters each year...it makes them wonder why breeders would want to bring more litters into this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets