Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:15 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times

Advertisements

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has a different opinion of this animal shelter lauded by Oprah and RachelRay:

New York animal hospice center praised by Oprah is accused of cruelty; critics call it a 'hellhole' - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 07:51 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,848 times
Given that PETA believes that animals are "better dead than caged" I would expect them to have a huge problem with an animal hospice. I don't know anything about Angel's Gate other than what I read in the article, but it sounds like this woman put in a lot of effort to get the education she needed to properly care for these pets. Maybe the staff/volunteers are overwhelmed, I don't know. But I do know something about PETA and I'll take anything they have to say with a huge block of salt.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
I too give less credence to this due to PETA being the source. There have been many instances of rescues that started out with the best of intentions, that deteriorated into overwhelmed hoarding situations. But PETA, who euthanizes over 90% of animals that come into their care, among other things has little credibility. I know very few people in the rescue or animal welfare community who has any respect for PETA. I would need more information from more sources before I would comment on this group.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:57 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
this story circulated through the rescue community on facebook a week or so ago.... with many ready to draw and quarter the woman operating the hospice.... don't think it was very obvious initially that it was peta who did the "investigation" and released it to the public....

Old 01-11-2012, 06:36 AM

I think people have to be wary of celebrity endorsements because they may not thoroughly vet the situation and just be impressed with some spokesperson or PR job.

Are there any good animal rights groups who try to legislate, nationally, for better treatment for animals?

I know that some local SPCA's, like in NY and California, have an excellent reputation, but they can only affect legislation state wide.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,601 times
I spoke to Susan Marino before all this garbage hit the news. I had intended to volunteer. I know she was desperate for more volunteers. Each time I spoke to her she filled me in as to what was going on. Unfortunately I became ill and never got down there. She certainly didn't seem to be a person who would intentionally cause suffering to anyone, let alone animals. It's a shame that some of the people who flushed her down the drain didn't actually roll their sleeves up and become actual helpers instead of spies intending to prosecute her and shut down a potentially great service for our furry friends. Possibly with enough help the operation could have been modified to keep everyone happy. I do feel very badly that it was handled this way.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:12 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
I will never make another donation to PETA. These people would rather see cats and dogs put to death than be kept as pets. Just looking at her turns my stomach, knowing what she thinks and how she believes. All donations we make will be to local Rescues from now on.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I will never make another donation to PETA. These people would rather see cats and dogs put to death than be kept as pets. Just looking at her turns my stomach, knowing what she thinks and how she believes. All donations we make will be to local Rescues from now on.
I am of the same mind. We intend to leave money in our will to an animal cause. It will be a local place, where we can take part of and view all operations.

You know, for a very long time before this news broke people had been asking Peta what they did with all those rescued animals and they were given ambiguous answers about finding homes for them. 'How did you manage to find all those homes for them when the shelters could not?' BS answers.

There were rumors and people told me not to give money because although the media cause that they espoused seemed good, they were in reality, a nightmare for poor animals.

I hope they rot in the hell they created for our little furry friends. Really. Two faced s.o.b's.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:45 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has a different opinion of this animal shelter lauded by Oprah and RachelRay:

New York animal hospice center praised by Oprah is accused of cruelty; critics call it a 'hellhole' - NY Daily News

why is PETA complaining. they kill more pets than most other places.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:37 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
All animal lovers need to get the TRUTH out about PETA and some other questionable organizations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets