Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 01:40 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,623,751 times

Advertisements

Even among animal lovers, euthanasia is a divisive issue.

Nearly a decade later, Daphna Nachminovitch still remembers the rerelease of the Disney classic "101 Dalmatians" and the tragedy that followed. First there was a spike in sales of the famous spotted breed. Then, in the months that followed, shelters took in hundreds of Dalmatians from disillusioned pet owners around the country.

PETA and Pet Euthanasia | Newsweek Leadership and the Environment | Newsweek.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 07:54 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,278,550 times
Well, gee, there's no real news flash to this one. I would take exception to the attorney who says that overpopulation is a myth - wonder what planet he is on?

Every time there is a dog breed that becomes famous for something - Turner and Hooch, As Good As It Gets, or even the dog that wins at Westminster, everyone rushes out to get one without doing any homework whatsoever and then find they aren't compatible with that breed.

Humans strike again...

Old 04-30-2008, 12:18 PM

395 posts, read 1,364,303 times
This is not really news to me..but...don't trust peta.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:56 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,416,096 times
Its funny I am a member of anoter board where the owners is a vegetarian. Its an animal forum. They have a vegetarian section and spread the "good word" of PETA. In the forum description basically states that if you dont agree with the Vegetarians dont post or youll be banned. *So* tempted to post that article there!

Old 05-09-2008, 02:00 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,263,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
. In the forum description basically states that if you dont agree with the Vegetarians dont post or youll be banned. *So* tempted to post that article there!

I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm certain that vegetarians get really sick of having to explain themselves every time they eat in front of someone, hear the same cliches over and over ("I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain", "I sure could go for a big, juicy steak right now!", "Rabbit food!", "Humans were made to eat meat", etc) and so-on.

I know the PETA folks can get a little out of hand, but it does seem like a lot of people really take offense if someone chooses to not eat meat and automatically try to discredit it. I feel for the vegetarians and understand if they take some drastic measures on their messageboards.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:02 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,416,096 times
You do ? I dont. I am sick of being told you dont need to eat meat to survice yada yada yada yawn. I dont see why they feel the need to force their opinions on me when I always state, I really dont care

Old 05-11-2008, 11:47 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,474,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
You do ? I dont. I am sick of being told you dont need to eat meat to survice yada yada yada yawn. I dont see why they feel the need to force their opinions on me when I always state, I really dont care
Plenty of people don't care, some are aware of the issues, and some aren't.

Much like the issue in the OP. We can be aware of the issues surrounding a breed of dog and make the choice to still go ahead and buy one anyway, no one can make someone care.

But do we have an obligation to care? Do we have a social obligation? Do we have an inter-species obligation?

I think humans are finally waking up to our inter-species obligations and you can see it in a microcosm right here on this forum. Watch how people come on the forum and open themselves up and discuss their wanting for a pet and how many of them, once they become aware of the issues, end up choosing to adopt a dog or a cat rather than purchase one. They still have a choice whether to care or not about the dog/cat overpopulation issue, but for some it doesn't take much for them to say "I want to make a difference and help this issue", so a little information pushes them in that direction.

Every choice has an impact. There's enough information out there so no one has to make an uneducated choice...now the choice they make is up to them .

Old 05-12-2008, 12:06 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,907,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Well, gee, there's no real news flash to this one. I would take exception to the attorney who says that overpopulation is a myth - wonder what planet he is on?

Every time there is a dog breed that becomes famous for something - Turner and Hooch, As Good As It Gets, or even the dog that wins at Westminster, everyone rushes out to get one without doing any homework whatsoever and then find they aren't compatible with that breed.

Humans strike again...

I'll never understand why there isn't more checks and a better filtering process for adopting a pet. Perhaps if was harder to go down to the local pet shop and pick out a puppy on the spur of the moment it might slow down this ridiculous situation. It's not really enough to be able to buy an animal and that's the end of it. I for one would welcome stricter controls on animal ownership. I mean imagine how much money could be made to help the animals if all potential owners were subject to a pre adoption course which would educate them on their responsibilities just for starters. Not to mention compulsory vet checks every year when the animal is re registered. Just like visiting the infant health nurse. At this point the onus is on humans to act responsibly when adopting a pet and clearly too many simply aren't responsible enough for the privelidge.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:12 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,419,453 times
Two things come to mind when something like this comes up. The first deals with PETA. An investigation a few years back revealed PETA purchased a large walk-in freezer. When an outside source was asked what a freezer of that type would be needed for, the answer was to store and freeze meat.

The second concerns the noble cause of the no-kill shelter. Noble but impractical. Like it or not, and yes, I do have first hand knowledge, no-kill shelters try their best but have limitations that they work around. Some, not all, but some regularly trade inventory so to speak. A kill shelter might get in some better breed dogs while the no-kill gets overstocked with larger black colored breeds, mean dogs or an elderly animal few want. The no-kill and kill simply make a trade. Sad but I won't be too critical myself. No-kills honestly try and do their best in a tough situation.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:37 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,907,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
Two things come to mind when something like this comes up. The first deals with PETA. An investigation a few years back revealed PETA purchased a large walk-in freezer. When an outside source was asked what a freezer of that type would be needed for, the answer was to store and freeze meat.....
Not that I'm defending PETA but quite likely the animals that are euthanazed are immediately bagged and put into the freezer for collection. That's how it worked at the vet and I think it's a fairly standard procedure where animals are euthanazed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets