Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 08:38 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,422,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Plenty of people don't care, some are aware of the issues, and some aren't.

Much like the issue in the OP. We can be aware of the issues surrounding a breed of dog and make the choice to still go ahead and buy one anyway, no one can make someone care.

But do we have an obligation to care? Do we have a social obligation? Do we have an inter-species obligation?

I think humans are finally waking up to our inter-species obligations and you can see it in a microcosm right here on this forum. Watch how people come on the forum and open themselves up and discuss their wanting for a pet and how many of them, once they become aware of the issues, end up choosing to adopt a dog or a cat rather than purchase one. They still have a choice whether to care or not about the dog/cat overpopulation issue, but for some it doesn't take much for them to say "I want to make a difference and help this issue", so a little information pushes them in that direction.

Every choice has an impact. There's enough information out there so no one has to make an uneducated choice...now the choice they make is up to them .
I know the issues. My sister is a vegetarian, I have discussed with with her. Fortunately she is not one of the afore mentioned in your face I am right you are wrong vegetarians. She actually cooks meat for myself (best fryup youll ever taste!) and her family because she knows it choice. The vegetarians that are pro PETA as I mentioned, are so anti meat pro their cause they are almost blinded by rage against people they dont agree with. That is when I have to say "I dont care" and end it there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 AM

78,566 posts, read 60,762,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I'll never understand why there isn't more checks and a better filtering process for adopting a pet. Perhaps if was harder to go down to the local pet shop and pick out a puppy on the spur of the moment it might slow down this ridiculous situation. It's not really enough to be able to buy an animal and that's the end of it. I for one would welcome stricter controls on animal ownership. I mean imagine how much money could be made to help the animals if all potential owners were subject to a pre adoption course which would educate them on their responsibilities just for starters. Not to mention compulsory vet checks every year when the animal is re registered. Just like visiting the infant health nurse. At this point the onus is on humans to act responsibly when adopting a pet and clearly too many simply aren't responsible enough for the privelidge.
That seems to be a pretty gross infringement upon the rights of people that take good care of their pets because 5% of the owners are morons. The morons will also just ignore the rules you stated above and buy the dog through classified adds etc.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:27 PM

9,904 posts, read 13,911,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That seems to be a pretty gross infringement upon the rights of people that take good care of their pets because 5% of the owners are morons. The morons will also just ignore the rules you stated above and buy the dog through classified adds etc.
Well perhaps. I'm not one for having to have too many controls and laws but unfortunately it seems it's the kind of society we live in these days. I mean what about the rights of the animals? Good people would have no problem adhering to those kinds of controls and the morons would probably think twice before they bothered getting an animal because it would be too much work and responsibility for them up front before they'd even qualified to take an animal home. As to them buying through the classified ads well there's no reason that couldn't be subject to policy and controls either. At least if these things were legislated there could be tougher laws and deterants when someone does mistreat an animal. It seems to me that a measly fine when you've subjected an animal to endless abuse is simply not enough.

I dunno Mathguy, I just don't think the situation as it stands now is even close to satisfactory with so many animals being born, mistreated and then euthanazed, and much as I hate that good people end up having to abide by more and more rules and regulations because of the actions of a few idiots it seems to me that perhaps this is a much better idea for the animals sake. I'd do it, if I thought it would lower the suffering of those that can't fend for themselves, and I think it would.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I know the issues. My sister is a vegetarian, I have discussed with with her. Fortunately she is not one of the afore mentioned in your face I am right you are wrong vegetarians. She actually cooks meat for myself (best fryup youll ever taste!) and her family because she knows it choice. The vegetarians that are pro PETA as I mentioned, are so anti meat pro their cause they are almost blinded by rage against people they dont agree with. That is when I have to say "I dont care" and end it there

I dunno, I reckon my Mum (a vegetarian for 30 years) cooks the best steak in the world! Interestingly she's not a huge fan of PETA either.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:44 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,179,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I dunno, I reckon my Mum (a vegetarian for 30 years) cooks the best steak in the world! Interestingly she's not a huge fan of PETA either.
To many vegetarians (Including myself.), PETA is the equivalent of a religious cult.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
To many vegetarians (Including myself.), PETA is the equivalent of a religious cult.
Yes. The underlying premise is a good one but their execution is flawed. Well in my opinion anyway.

I wonder though how people will view them in years to come? I often think of how people used to view Greenpeace as leftist and extreme and their work is becoming more and more acceptable and mainstream. I think that's where PETA makes me very nervous because I don't agree with much of their actions now and I'd hate to think that they were able to continue berating until people found them acceptable.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:05 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,486,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
...but not to all. The PETA issue is a complicated one.

If you've ever seen the documentary about PETA "I Am An Animal", you can't help but see Ingrid Newkirk's deep love and absolute devotion to animals, I don't think there's any denying her heart is in the right place, it's where her head is at sometimes that makes you wonder....

I told PETA to take me off of their mailing list after their stand on pit bulls came out years ago, but I still think they do some good work and I don't mind them - or ALF - being "in your face" about it...that's their "job" (not mine, thankfully !).

And this assumption that just because someone is a vegetarian that they're going to preach to you about meat-eating is just absurd.

I can't tell you how often my meat-eating friends and family "joke" with me about their meat-eating and my "lack-thereof" - they just will not shut up about it, year after year! I don't say a word about what they eat. Any time they "joke" (ha ha ) about it, I just say my standard line "eat whatever you want in front of me, it's fine". It's obviously them that's uncomfortable .

Old 05-12-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
...but not to all. The PETA issue is a complicated one.

If you've ever seen the documentary about PETA "I Am An Animal", you can't help but see Ingrid Newkirk's deep love and absolute devotion to animals, I don't think there's any denying her heart is in the right place, it's where her head is at sometimes that makes you wonder....

I told PETA to take me off of their mailing list after their stand on pit bulls came out years ago, but I still think they do some good work and I don't mind them - or ALF - being "in your face" about it...that's their "job" (not mine, thankfully !).

And this assumption that just because someone is a vegetarian that they're going to preach to you about meat-eating is just absurd.

I can't tell you how often my meat-eating friends and family "joke" with me about their meat-eating and my "lack-thereof" - they just will not shut up about it, year after year! I don't say a word about what they eat. Any time they "joke" (ha ha ) about it, I just say my standard line "eat whatever you want in front of me, it's fine". It's obviously them that's uncomfortable .
Well I hear you on that in particular riveree because I have been both vegetarian and meat eater and I've been in the unique situation of being lectured by both sides of the spectrum.

It's fascinating that people seem to feel the need to comment on what someone else eats or doesn't eat and it always reminds me of that scene from To Kill A Mockingbird where the kid pours syrup all over his dinner and Scout gets all up in arms but Atticus sets her straight about guests and manners.

I don't dispute that PETA do do some good work but I simply cannot condone some of the things that they have done in the name of animal welfare so I tend to distance myself from them because of their methods and have found other animal welfare organizations to give my donations to.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:12 PM

30,398 posts, read 52,006,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm certain that vegetarians get really sick of having to explain themselves every time they eat in front of someone, hear the same cliches over and over ("I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain", "I sure could go for a big, juicy steak right now!", "Rabbit food!", "Humans were made to eat meat", etc) and so-on.

I know the PETA folks can get a little out of hand, but it does seem like a lot of people really take offense if someone chooses to not eat meat and automatically try to discredit it. I feel for the vegetarians and understand if they take some drastic measures on their messageboards.
Maybe they could just eat, and not make an announcement about being vegetarian?? I only eat turkey & chicken (no red meat, pork, fish, etc), and very often will order non-meat meals... and I don't feel the need to tell everyone I'm eating veggie that day, or in the reverse, I don't announce when I eat meat. I just order what I like, and usually don't pay attention to what others eat either. It's only when somebody starts to lecture me about eating meat, that I might say the cliches you stated above. If they simply order their salad and let me enjoy my chicken, we'll get along just fine.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:36 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,265,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Maybe they could just eat, and not make an announcement about being vegetarian?? I only eat turkey & chicken (no red meat, pork, fish, etc), and very often will order non-meat meals... and I don't feel the need to tell everyone I'm eating veggie that day, or in the reverse, I don't announce when I eat meat. I just order what I like, and usually don't pay attention to what others eat either. It's only when somebody starts to lecture me about eating meat, that I might say the cliches you stated above. If they simply order their salad and let me enjoy my chicken, we'll get along just fine.

Ha, trust me, I know all about the preachy vegan/veg folks. I guess I'm sympathetic towards the ones who mind their own business but get asked by meat eaters about why they're not eating like everyone else and then get the usual slew of questions/responses. I'm sure it would get annoying when almost every time you sit down to eat in a social setting someone wants you to explain your dietary choices with them... Just like if I were surrounded by vegetarians and every time I ate chicken I got a speech about cancer, cruelty, etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets