Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 AM

385 posts, read 615,885 times

Advertisements

Oooooooooooh, I really like Hamlet! He's gorgeous.

I have two female BP's with the Spider gene, one's a Spinner. They both crack me up. Not sure if it's the gene or what, but unlike my other youngsters I often find them hanging from a branch near the top of their tank, their body and neck all corkscrewed up but with their head level. Neither of them wobble either. Perhaps they're tree boa's in disguise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 01:52 AM

10,360 posts, read 8,601,660 times
Nice pics people. I used to have a lot of reptiles, but I downsized as the maintanence was too much as was the food bill.

At the time I had
2 argus monitors
1 savana monitor
2 water monitors
1 black rough neck monitor
4 yellow monitors
2 dumerils monitors
1 red tegu
1 colombian tegu
2 bengal monitors
1 boa
1 jungle carpet python
1 green iguana
1 cuban rock iguana
1 beared dragon
1 frilled dragon
1 sailfin dragon
1 burmise python
a few day geckos
a few pygmy chameleons
and a host of other small reptiles

1 very empty wallet

Now I just have my jungle carpet python and one yellow monitor and a few bucks in my wallet.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:47 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,020,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Oooooooooooh, I really like Hamlet! He's gorgeous.

I have two female BP's with the Spider gene, one's a Spinner. They both crack me up. Not sure if it's the gene or what, but unlike my other youngsters I often find them hanging from a branch near the top of their tank, their body and neck all corkscrewed up but with their head level. Neither of them wobble either. Perhaps they're tree boa's in disguise?
Hamlet says thank you. He's a real pig, and growing like a weed!

The baby male spider shown in those photos has the "spider spin/wobble" too, and does some really crazy things with his head - used to scare me sometimes, but now I've gotten used to his weirdness. Check out these photos, from when he decided to eat a mouse while upside-down. I swear, I thought he was dead at first.

Nope, I'm fine!

And here he is just acting generally strange... I think this is his version of "periscoping," LOL:

Old 04-20-2013, 03:53 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,020,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Nice pics people. I used to have a lot of reptiles, but I downsized as the maintanence was too much as was the food bill.
Wow, that was quite a varied collection!

I'm having the same issue now, just too many reptiles and not enough space to breed my own rodents... so I am in the process of downsizing, but it might take a while to sell enough of them (since I'm very picky in choosing the buyers). I already have offers on a few, though, from people I know fairly well.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:54 AM

10,360 posts, read 8,601,660 times
I bred rats-had quite a colony until a few escaped and started roaming the attic. I really didn't like killing the little guys to feed, but thought it was humane compared to throwing them in alive and watching the monitors rip them apart.
After a while
I started buying frozen rodents which are pretty convenient, but having 400 of them in the freezer took up a lot of space. I was buying a lot of eggs and ground turkey too.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:58 PM

385 posts, read 615,885 times
We bought this lady up last night from a local guy downsizing his collection. "Cleopatra" is an RDR Lesser ball python weighing in at 750 gr. She's checking out her quarantine tank in the pic.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:36 AM

511 posts, read 839,599 times
I had a roommate with a beardie who did not take care of him. I loved that lizard! Shocked the crap out of me to enjoy the little creature so much. I loved dusting crickets to feed to him, picking daisies and clovers and dandelions from the yard (no chemicals in the yard), feeding him strawberries....he was so cute!

Old 11-08-2019, 08:06 AM

8,420 posts, read 4,589,871 times
Ball pythons with the spider gene often exhibit neurological problems such as wobble or problems eating because they miss whatever they are trying to eat. It's not funny or cute. As long as people buy them, breeders will keep producing them. You really should consider the quality of life these poor things have.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:29 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Ball pythons with the spider gene often exhibit neurological problems such as wobble or problems eating because they miss whatever they are trying to eat. It's not funny or cute. As long as people buy them, breeders will keep producing them. You really should consider the quality of life these poor things have.
We were vending at the Daytona show and I noticed the table next to us had spider balls. That trait was most notable. We bred ETBs at the time. That is when I started calling those inbred ball pythons "Frankensnakes".

Old 11-11-2019, 07:02 AM

8,420 posts, read 4,589,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
We were vending at the Daytona show and I noticed the table next to us had spider balls. That trait was most notable. We bred ETBs at the time. That is when I started calling those inbred ball pythons "Frankensnakes".

I've never been interested in purposely bred morphs of any species. You see so many people bragging about their carrot tail sunglow tremper raptor whatever gecko it's ridiculous. Oddly enough, some of the highest dollar leopard geckos available right now are wild type with a verifiable bloodline back to wild caught. In other words a plain vanilla lizard that's pretty rare. I tend to appreciate what nature has perfected more then what people have cooked up in a few generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets