Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:21 PM

754 posts, read 1,739,926 times

Advertisements

We bought two Pomeranians (the apples of my eyes) 5 and 6 years ago. Now there is not a we but a me. I have no family in this area and most of my friends have young children or don't have pets. Since the *we* became a *me* I have tried leaving my Poms with various people, however, my younger one has severe emotional issues with strangers. Both with strange people and strange dogs. I would say he is 'ok' with about 5% of people/dogs he meets. I am not sure why this is considering he has been raised the exact same way and with the same exposure as my older dog, yet my older dog loves people and other dogs. I chalk it up to it just being his personality. I have tried leaving them with different friends and at the PetSmart Pet Hotel but when I have done this (max for 3 days) he will not eat, go to the bathroom, and hides while I am gone. Further his hair falls out from the stretch. Needless to say I suffer severe guilt even thinking about leaving him any more. The problem is, I am missing out on alot of travel opportunities because I do not know what accommodations to make for them.

Now the holidays are approaching and again I am in the same situation. I live in Alexandria, VA which is about a 15 minute drive from D.C. I have put in for 16 days of vacation time during the Christmas/New Years holidays and I want to spend it in Florida with my family. I have spent MONTHS researching different airlines, and I just have so much apprehension about flying them as "cargo". But because there are two of them, no airline will let me take them both on the plane, even if I purchase two seats. I am now starting to think about driving, but that is a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG drive for one person to do alone (I think it's about 14-15 hours). Not to mention the last time I made that trip (wasn't driving though), we were in a horrible roll-over accident on the interstate which has left me VERY traumatized from long distance trips. I did find that Continental has a Pet Safe program wherein they fly checked pets in a climate controlled area that is separate from the cargo and attended at all times by an attendant. However, they have no direct flights from any of the airports around here to where I am going in Florida. I have looked into trains and buses, but none take pets. And the new Pet Air does not fly where I need them to go.

So what do you all think I should do? What would you do in my position? Feel free to share any stories about your experiences traveling with your pet.

(1) Send them on Continental even with a layover stop and hope they aren't left somewhere or lost ?

(2) Fly another airline (which will not have the climate controlled, separate area) and just *hope* they are ok, but at least have a direct flight?

(3) Suck it up and drive....even though I am deathly afraid of the trip?

Any other options? Thanks for reading my long post!

Old 10-29-2009, 06:35 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,428,811 times
Get a petsitter to come to your house and stay w/ them there, they'll get used to the new situation. Think about it, each time you leave them w/ someone, they're in a diff. environment and it's a new adjustment, new area, new people, new scents. It'll cost more than what your pay your friends and relatives but consistency prob. would be best for them.

Believe me, I know it's a tough situation, we're tied down too w/ ours and Im not thrilled to have someone come in but I wouldn't fly them. We've taken them on long road trips and it's worked out fine but it's not always feasible (cant leave them alone in a motel even in crates b/c of possible barking). We have boarded them and they did well but they're older now and I'd rather avoid it. Hoping to find a local person who is dog savvy and has a secure fenced-in yard who could care for them in their home. Right now though, we have time. Anyway would try a responsible petsitter who could come and stay w/ them (they can come and go as Im sure they have a life and things to do, but they'd be at your house w/ your dogs the majority of the time). GOod luck

Old 10-29-2009, 06:46 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,336,629 times
The three of you could fly on Continental to the Continental destination closest to your family. Then rent a car and drive the rest of the way.

If it is somewhat close then you would not have to drive very far by yourself.

I like the at-your-home pet-sitter idea that Honeycrisp posted, too.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:50 PM

754 posts, read 1,739,926 times
I have tried two different at-home pet sitters and the youngest one just hides under the sofa or in his crate. It's even worse now because i am in a high rise so this person would have to be able to get him out and leash him to walk him three times a day. I am 100% sure he would probably bite them. Even at the vet if I don't coax him into the arms of the doctor or techs he has that scared/i'll snap look. He has never done it, but I have seen him snap at strangers that ran to quickly up to him and startled him.

I do like the idea of flying Continental to a closer city and renting a car or having some one get me. I will check and see if I can fly into Atlanta or maybe Orlando. I will report back!

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Old 10-29-2009, 06:54 PM

691 posts, read 2,329,724 times
My Mom's dog is very skittish, does not like strangers, or other dogs much. Well, she needed a dog-baby sitter for a trip, so she took Tiffany to the dog day care by her house, just once or twice a week. Tiffany did get along with the other dogs, and became to look forward to her "special" ride in the car, to her daycare. The daycare also is a hotel for dogs when the owners are gone. So, maybe you can find a daycare close to you for your dog to attend, he might get used to it, and like it, and you can board him there.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:57 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,428,811 times
Another thought - Rescue Remedy might help, you put a few drops on a biscuit, it's all natural and you can get it at the local health food store. It just might take the edge off. Another thought, there's these plug-in pheronomes (sp) you can get at PetsMart, PetCo etc - they're supp. to emit calming rays (?) that may relax them (am sure someone can explain better or you can google it). Might work for flying them too.

Also, would google Pom Rescue in your area, they may have someone who fosters who would take them temporarily, they know the breed and prob. know their personalities, am sure they'd charge but they'd prob. be very understanding about their situation as they're used to diff. Poms etc. Anyway, just another thought, hadnt realized he might resist the walk (mine love going but if it's raining, it's a different ballgame - and if someone else were to take them out, it might be a different can of worms too but I think they'd be curious and w/b more than happy to be lured outside w/ treats, LOL, they're very bribable! (take me, take me, see ya, mom!).

Old 10-29-2009, 07:01 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
They are DOGS. Put them in a top quality kennel and go on vacation.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:30 AM

127 posts, read 364,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
They are DOGS. Put them in a top quality kennel and go on vacation.
That's a pretty cold hearted thing to say.

To the OP, I feel for you. My husband has been deployed twice and the first time I had one dog, the second time I had two (and at one point during that I had two foster dogs). Our hometown is 5.5 hours away, not nearly as long as your drive but it's still not fun by yourself. One time on the way home during an ice storm, I spun into a ditch. I had to wait to have my car pulled out, then I still had to drive another three hours in the storm, which didn't let up until I was 10 miles from my exit. I had a massive headache from my iced over windshield wipers banging on the windshield. All with my dogs in the back seat.

I would go with the flight/car rental combo if you can, but if not, just drive. It sounds like you have plenty of time to do it, and you can find a hotel along the way that will let you bring in your pets for a small deposit. Make frequent stops to walk the dogs and refresh yourself, make sure to bring energizing snacks and music. Make it a part of your vacation.

I would never put my dogs in a kennel unless it was an absolute emergency, one of my dogs hates children (and sometimes gets nervous and snaps at strangers if they startle him), and the other one is so ridiculously attached to me, she whines at the door when I leave even if my husband is home.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:18 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
Sendmorecops' post reminded me that dogs need seat belts as much as people. They make vests which can be attached to seat belts. Much safer than having your dog get thrown out of the car or becoming a missile aimed at your head!

Old 10-30-2009, 11:49 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,433,741 times
If you intend to fly...check with the airlines. You may not be able to take 2 animals alone, unless they can both fit in the same kennel. And then there are restrictions. I just re-read your original post...a Pom would surely fit under the seat in a carrier to travel in cabin with you...you wouldn't have to worry about sending them baggage....The problem now is the 2 of them in one carrier. Depends how big they are...again..check with the airlines.
Many vet techs who work at vets make an extra dollar by pet sitting. Maybe someone at your vet can take on the task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets