Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:07 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,296 times

Advertisements

Meet my new addition, a Mali Uromastyx.

This came out a little blurry from my blackberry.

This guy is awesome! Thanks for letting me share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 10:10 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,892 times
Wow I really like the coloring. Looks like an awesome pet. So you feed him live food or just the packaged stuff?

Old 08-01-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Wow I really like the coloring. Looks like an awesome pet. So you feed him live food or just the packaged stuff?
What's great about these is that they are vegetarians. I feed him mixed organic baby greens w/ other chopped veggies along w/ vitamins and supplements.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:05 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,892 times
Oh wow! Hadn't heard of a fully vegetarian reptile before. I've always heard of them eating meal worms or crickets or the like plus veggies. Then again I've never owned one and only read about them in passing so not exactly an expert.

I really do like the coloration though... excellent.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:16 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
he really is a handsome fella' .......

does he stay the same color or does he change his colors to blend in with his surroundings??

sorry ..... i am VERY lacking in knowledge of reptiles......

Old 08-02-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
he really is a handsome fella' .......

does he stay the same color or does he change his colors to blend in with his surroundings??

sorry ..... i am VERY lacking in knowledge of reptiles......
No, he stays his color. You're thinking of chameleons.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:50 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,612,115 times
One of my favorites! He is gorgeous!!

Old 03-29-2010, 08:31 PM

3 posts, read 10,007 times
Default Nice Uro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Meet my new addition, a Mali Uromastyx.

This came out a little blurry from my blackberry.

This guy is awesome! Thanks for letting me share.

You have a very nice Uromastyx. I do believe it is a yellow Saharan. I too wanted a good uromastyx forum. I could not find one, so with the help of others, I started one. I would love to see you join and share with us there. It is free, and located at www.uromastyx.freeforums.org. Hope to see you there. Share this with any others you know that have uromastyx, they are amazing lizards.

Tim

Old 03-30-2010, 09:06 AM

75 posts, read 197,466 times
Very cute!! I love the coloring, it's really unique looking!

I agree with the reptile forum, now that I'm the proud owner of a bearded dragon. Odd that your guy eats only greens, I assumed all lizards needed some kind of protein... My little one requires daily greens though, so I look totally healthy when I go to the store buying big bundles of veggies! Hehe.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:20 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
What's great about these is that they are vegetarians. I feed him mixed organic baby greens w/ other chopped veggies along w/ vitamins and supplements.
Kahskye~
Please allow me to respectfully point out that the Uromastxy is not a "vegetarian"! They are omnivorous! Since these lizards do need food other than vegetables to keep healthy I offer you this:

[LEFT][SIZE=2][SIZE=3]Food
[/SIZE]
Uromastyx are omnivorous which means they consume both animal and plant materials. Since there is no data about the specific nutritional requirements of this genus a large variety of food items should be offered.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Young animals more readily accept insects such as wax worms, crickets, and super meal worms, which should be offered three or four times per week. The following vegetables should be offered; kale, collard greens, mustard greens, sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, corn, and green peas. In addition, dandelion greens, alfalfa, grass, and flowers can be added to the diet. Beans such as split peas, lentils, navy beans, and other should also be provided. Some of these beans can be sprouted prior to feeding. Bird seed should also be mixed in with the salad.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]A reptile vitamin containing calcium should be sprinkled on the salad. Some of the commercial iguana chows can also be mixed in with the salad to ensure better nutrition.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]There are some indications that nutritional needs are not easily met for this genus. Several herpetoculturists who are raising young Uromastyx aegypticus and U. acanthinurus report slow growth rates. For example, I obtained two captive born Uromastyx aegypticus that were three inches long. Within eight months one animal was five inches long and the other 11 inches and much bulkier. The only difference in husbandry was that the larger animal would eat insects and smaller one would not. I have also observed slow growth in captive born Uromastyx acanthinurus.[/SIZE][/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets