Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:26 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,928,487 times

Advertisements

So...it seems every 3 months or so I get a weird random fraudulent charge around $10 on my AmEx from some sort of strange "online ringtone/phone games store" or some crap. Each time the merchant name and information is different. Every time this happens I contact AmEx, get the charge removed, and I get a new card #. Then it happens again; a total of 3 times now.

How is this happening??! I'm completely at a loss; I don't buy things from shady internet sites nor do I ever have the card out of my possession. I'm a very "boring" shopper, most of the time I use the card is at the grocery store--I don't even use it at restaurants where the card is out of my hands when the server runs it except except perhaps once or twice since the charges began.

Anyhow, the weirdest part about it that is all 3 times it has happened (each after I've got a new card #) it has been around the same amount (though not exactly, so it's not an automatic charge) and the same type of merchant (strange ringtones or games or whatever).

It always gets taken care of by AmEx, so it's not that much of a certain to me money-wise, but it's just a bit puzzling to me how it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 09:25 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Unless you have a son, the likely explanation is that one of the places you use the card has a database or card reader that has been hacked. Have you P.O.d a low level clerk who seems to always be around? Do you use your card "everywhere?"

If you have the records, go back through your statements and make a list of the stores where you used the card within one week of the fraudulent charges. If any of those stores are repeat performers, those are the most likely suspects.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:57 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,421,755 times
Do you have kids?

Fraudulent charges rarely appear on a dead card, so it's something you're doing to make the charge happen--whether it be at a shady store or someone repeatedly is getting ahold of your card (hence the kid question). I know you say you don't make purchases at shady retailers, but how do you know they're not shady? I've seen instances of fraud at every single merchant conceivable.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:59 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,469,020 times
Actually, most credit card fraud happens at the places no one expects, like the grocery store or retail stores. Only a small minority happens by buying things online.

I had the same first thought as the others. Do you have a teenager/preteen who would have access to your card? Or even a spouse? Think over who in your household has changed ringtones about the time of the charges, or if any of the kids are always playing a game on their cellphone.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:04 PM

Nope, no kids--and I can assure you my husband isn't buying ringtones.

A little further research on the merchants makes it seem that apparently others have had the same issues with the charges. I'm guess somewhere routine, like the grocery store, someone is somehow getting my # and running it. I had AmEx block any merchant from charging me that is a "phone games/ringtone" business; as that's what they all are categorized as. One was actually called "Java Mart" with the intention, I'm guessing, that someone would think that they just bought coffee somewhere and didn't notice the charge.

Last edited by thepinksquid; 02-22-2010 at 01:46 PM..

Old 02-22-2010, 03:04 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,857,672 times
Just call up Amex

If Amex thinks the charge is legit, it will "follow" your old card number...... This is to prevent cardholders with the hassle of having to change every monthly bill they have every time they get a new card #.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Just call up Amex

If Amex thinks the charge is legit, it will "follow" your old card number...... This is to prevent cardholders with the hassle of having to change every monthly bill they have every time they get a new card #.
Yup, that must be it. I had them block any "carryover" charges, so hopefully it will be OK.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:25 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
pinksquid, my credit card is never out of my hands. Giving your card to any restaurant employee is just asking for fraud.

A few days after using my card to buy groceries at Walmart (where I swiped the card myself), I found a $2-3 charge that I didnt authorize. That $2-3 was a "test" charge. A few days later other charges started going through. My credit card company told me that grocery stores can be a frequent source of credit card fraud. I dont know how, but I'll take their word for it. Now I pay for my groceries with cash.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:21 PM

OP here... sorry to bump, but after 2 years I think that I finally figured out what caused this!

My old card AMEX had an RFID "smart chip" in it, and I think somehow every so often that was being skimmed somewhere.

I've since been issued a new AMEX without the card, and lo and behold, no random charges!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:39 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
My old card AMEX had an RFID "smart chip" in it, and I think somehow every so often that was being skimmed somewhere.

I've since been issued a new AMEX without the card, and lo and behold, no random charges!
So much for the "Smart" chip. If this continues to happen to other people, i think the days of smart chips in Credit Cards will be numbered. Convenience yes, but if they can't prevent rampant fraud, it will be a short lived concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance