Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2015, 04:32 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,685,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You get up there and replace it. Roofing is cheap. When you can't afford to hire work done, you do it yourself. It's called sweat equity.
That's the point of saving the money.

Sometimes we really over complicate things because of all the marketing.

Save 1 year of emergency fund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 04:33 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,509,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Maybe if you don't like the "means" that you have to work with, it would be a good idea to look at how you can improve yourself to increase your standard of living.

I don't see how complaining about rich people will make anyone's life better. However, spending less that what you bring in, saving, investing, looking for ways to improve yourself--how could that be bad?

I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to afford a $750,000 house. But you could go in with relatives or friends and buy a house you can afford. Then fix it up nights and weekends and sell it in a few years and buy a nicer one. But that would involve actual work and staying on a careful budget and--Oh, God--living within your means. Probably too hard. Easier to complain.
Why would you not expect that someone could afford a house for that price?

My entire neighborhood would generally disagree and I don't even live in the highest COL area in the US.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:38 PM

15,290 posts, read 17,848,647 times
One of the easiest ways to live within your means is to not read ads or watch ads on TV. Advertising is there to create demand for things you didn't know you wanted. Let's have a close up of pizza so you will spend $17 on a pizza, when you could have eaten a $3 casserole. Advertising teaches self-indulgence and irresponsibility.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:05 PM

491 posts, read 474,844 times
I don't know. Pizza is pretty hard to resist. And yes, I put plenty of it on my credit cards, because I am stupid. At least I'm here, hopefully others can learn from my cautionary tale.

I don't think I've ever eaten a casserole! lol.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:16 PM

33,012 posts, read 27,655,967 times
Quote:
One of the easiest ways to live within your means is to not read ads or watch ads on TV. Advertising is there to create demand for things you didn't know you wanted. Let's have a close up of pizza so you will spend $17 on a pizza, when you could have eaten a $3 casserole. Advertising teaches self-indulgence and irresponsibility.

There isn't anything I didn't know I wanted. Used to work very close to a downtown shopping mall, so one day I decided to check it out on my lunch break. Walked through and decided there was NOTHING in that mall I wanted.

After rent (including a storage unit I'm renting) and debt service (including student loan payment), I have about $200 per month left for everything else.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
I don't know. Pizza is pretty hard to resist. And yes, I put plenty of it on my credit cards, because I am stupid. At least I'm here, hopefully others can learn from my cautionary tale.

I don't think I've ever eaten a casserole! lol.

DIY is an important part of a frugal lifestyle. I make my own pizza.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:20 PM

491 posts, read 474,844 times
I think being not a very good cook costs me a lot of money.

Someone at my job commented that I put on weight, so I must love to eat. -_-
This was in the context of her being surprised that I don't really cook.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
You get up there and replace it. Roofing is cheap. When you can't afford to hire work done, you do it yourself. It's called sweat equity.

Dang! I'm paying $500 a month to rent a room and I'm getting no equity. How can I get some of that thar sweat equity?

Old 02-22-2015, 05:38 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,671,530 times
Quote:
One of the easiest ways to live within your means is to not read ads or watch ads on TV. Advertising is there to create demand for things you didn't know you wanted.
Yep. Got rid of the TV 25 years ago. Never miss it for a second. It's a mind-manipulation tool.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:55 PM

30,996 posts, read 37,271,956 times
Quote:
Agreed. The worst part about it is we vastly underestimate how much of an influence it really has on us. It's that way by design, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance