Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2015, 03:23 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,618,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
so you really do have an advantage; we're both paying about the same for housing, but you're getting an entire house with land, plus you're enjoying principal reduction and appreciation...while I'm getting a basement room in an overcrowded house (plus fights and drunken rages) for my $6k.
Advantage? Were we both born in this situation?

I don't get an "entire house"... where do you think my wife lives? I'd spend less if I wasn't married, you can be sure of that. I'd own a hovel out in the boonies that I built myself, and it would have been paid for a long time ago. I'd easily live on <$10k/yr.

Your bad living situation is your choice. Change it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 03:25 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,420,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
You can be live within your means or be cheap.

I really not too interested in savings, because its too stressful. I want to buy whatever I want to buy within reason.

But this is just my 2 cents.
and that why you will always be broke, no matter how much money you make.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:28 PM

18,554 posts, read 15,648,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Advantage? Were we both born in this situation?

I don't get an "entire house"... where do you think my wife lives? I'd spend less if I wasn't married, you can be sure of that. I'd own a hovel out in the boonies that I built myself, and it would have been paid for a long time ago. I'd easily live on <$10k/yr.

Your bad living situation is your choice. Change it.
Some areas are much easier to do this in than others. For many, the avenue for this would involve changing jobs to one located in low-cost areas such as the one you are in. (Commuting is not a solution, because car expenses will get pricey REEEAAAL fast! The first 10 miles are the most expensive, but the next 10 are also a drain on the wallet. Don't include just gas, there's also maintenance, repair, and depreciation which go up with mileage.)

Old 02-22-2015, 03:35 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,531,943 times
[quote=rruff;38551768]Advantage? Were we both born in this situation?

Your bad living situation is your choice. Change it.[/quote]

Not a unilateral choice. Very very difficult rental market these days; many people would say I should be grateful just to have this roof over my head.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:39 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,531,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Some areas are much easier to do this in than others. For many, the avenue for this would involve changing jobs to one located in low-cost areas such as the one you are in. (Commuting is not a solution, because car expenses will get pricey REEEAAAL fast! The first 10 miles are the most expensive, but the next 10 are also a drain on the wallet. Don't include just gas, there's also maintenance, repair, and depreciation which go up with mileage.)

This has been studied, for most workers it is better financially to spend more on housing in order to live closer to your job - housing costs do not fall with distance from job sufficiently to offset the higher commuting costs.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I'm not even in a low cost area! The price of houses here is above the national median.

Yes commuting is often stupid. So don't do it! There are plenty of places in the country where you can easily rent or buy within walking distance of where you work. Better yet, work at home like I do. If you are in a high priced city then move for gawds sake! Make a change. This isn't rocket science. The only good reason to live in an expensive area is if you can make good money there.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Not a unilateral choice. Very very difficult rental market these days; many people would say I should be grateful just to have this roof over my head.
Move... somewhere... else...

Plenty of places in this country where you could rent your own nice place for $500/mo and if you aren't a freak you'll be able to get a job that pays >$1200/mo no problem.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:26 PM

491 posts, read 472,934 times
It means don't spend money you don't have, don't spend more than you make. A hard thing to follow, and something that many of us don't do. Myself included. I have a huge pile of credit card debt and a pile of student loans, so I know something about living beyond my means. The results can be a disaster.

I don't think it's about favoring rich people. If you don't have it, don't spend it. Don't open a million credit cards and run them up. Don't go deep into debt for a college degree that society deems useless. I wish someone had told me that.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:28 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,677,128 times
Be aware of the marketing nowadays as well.

We are all rich if our family loves us. Reduce stress by being simple.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,738,439 times
Quote:
And what is this owner going to do when the roof needs to be replaced?
You get up there and replace it. Roofing is cheap. When you can't afford to hire work done, you do it yourself. It's called sweat equity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance