Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,368 times

Advertisements

My name is Brittany, I am 18 years old & beyond tired of living at my house. I'm not going to say my parents treat me bad because they don't, maybe some silly curfews sometimes but other than that they are very loving & caring. I live in Kentucky, in a really small town. (pop. 10,000 give or take) I am a graduate. I currently do not have a job. I am not planning to pursue moving out until i have a job or two. I will be living with two other girls (splitting all costs).
Renting mobile homes in my area is around $300 a month. I'm not completely sure if thats very cheap or not.
Im looking for tips on moving out, and being successful in living on my own.

Much love, Brittany.<3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 07:31 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,485,160 times
What are you a graduate of... high school? I'm assuming so, so back to school and get an undergraduate degree in a field you like sufficiently with a solid future potential (some research required). Otherwise, you'll be stuck for the rest of your life in a minimum wage McJob saying "do you want fries with that.."

Old 07-08-2014, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,447 times
If you movin out? Move out alone. I know you think cuz theyre your friends you wont have issues but you will. Rent something small. Something you can afford. Trust me. Good luck

Old 07-08-2014, 11:34 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,787,133 times
For some reason, I can't read this thread without a "red neck twang" accent, and that was before the Kentucky comment.

Back to real advice. If you want to move out, you better have a budget. If you can't answer the following, you have no right to even think about living on your own.
  1. How much do you make a month MINIMUM? (as in no bonus checks)
  2. How much will food cost you? (Pick a number now)
  3. How much do utilities cost you at their worst? AC in the summer and heat in the winter?
  4. Was your answer to 2 above $200? If not, check how much you actually eat a month, including what your parents buy.
  5. How much are your luxuries like your cell phone, cable, internet? All those things that you think you can live without? Have you tried giving them up for a month?

I've been there, and I chose to move out of my dad's place. He was charging me $300/mo in rent. At the time, I figured for that much, I might as well rent my own place.... except in retrospect, that whats the cheapest rent I would ever pay.

Do what you want... but make sure you know the numbers before you leap.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:44 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,210,666 times
Sounds like you have some time to spare. Watch Judge Judy on TV. She very often has cases of friends moving in together and then going to court.
If you are not interested or not able to attend college how about something like hairdresser school? A H.S. diploma will not open the doors to too many well paying jobs.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:24 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,618,389 times
Join the Army. Take advantage of the GI Bill. That's what I did.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:45 AM

836 posts, read 1,034,415 times
I actually think it is a great idea to have roommates as opposed to living by yourself. Splitting a cable bill, and other utilities makes the financial burden significantly less.

I do, however, agree with previous posters who recommend not moving in with "friends." I only talk to 1 of my friends I roomed with (the other 6 and I do not speak). It really can mess up a friendship. When they get on your nerves, there is nowhere to go for space, they will be there with you all of the time.

Just be sure to create some sort of roommate contract so you are all on the same page. Ex: having friends over. If they stay over more than 1 month at a time, their guest needs to chip in with bills. Are you going to allow pets? Are you OK with throwing parties, or prefer to keep things quiet and take the party elsewhere? Just some things to keep in mind before taking the plunge. Having roommies is definitely the financially smart way to go. Living in NYC, it is imperative pretty much to have at least 1 roommate lol not sure about Kentucky but...

Good luck. Definitely get your job lined up. Also, maybe it's just my ignorance because I'm not that familiar w/ mobile homes but are there mobile homes large enough to accommodate 3 women who need their own space? It seems really cramped :/ Is there any apartments around that are not much more than your $300/month budget?

Old 07-09-2014, 09:07 AM

154 posts, read 309,050 times
Go to college or learn a trade (or both) now, then move out. Trust me - I've been there. I moved out at 18 and for the better part of a decade now I've been working full-time while pursuing my B.S. And I've been living paycheck to paycheck (with one stretch of homelessness) the entire time, because I was only a H.S. grad when I moved out. Paycheck to paycheck is not a good way to live, especially in this economy; it's stressful, it's scary, there is no safety net at all.

In other words, moving out at 18 with no marketable skills and no college degree: 0 out of 5 stars.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:17 PM

552 posts, read 836,302 times
Sounds like you'll be back in your parents house in a few months.

A lot more to the world of supporting yourself than can be said on an internet board. Ex: medical/dental costs, what if something big happens? what if your car breaks down?etc etc.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:21 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,947,815 times
Why are other people encouraging an 18 year old not to live like an adult? She wants to get a job before moving out, understands she'll need roommates, and never said she wouldn't go to college (college costs money). A generation of young people are living with their parents because they can't stomach the idea of fending for themselves and living on a limited income; it's more comfy in daddy's basement. Give the girl some credit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance