Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 02:58 AM

9,553 posts, read 14,533,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanynicolee View Post
... maybe some silly curfews sometimes ... I'm looking for tips on moving out, and being successful in living on my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post

If you want to move out, you better have a budget.
  1. How much do you make a month MINIMUM? (as in no bonus checks)
  2. How much will food cost you? (Pick a number now)
  3. How much do utilities cost you at their worst? AC in the summer and heat in the winter?
  4. Was your answer to 2 above $200? If not, check how much you actually eat a month, including what your parents buy.
  5. How much are your luxuries like your cell phone, cable, internet? All those things that you think you can live without? Have you tried giving them up for a month?

Do what you want... but make sure you know the numbers before you leap.
In my view, this is the best advice so far: learn about budgeting. Know the numbers and live within your means.

A budget has two sides: revenues and expenses.

Revenues - expenses = net income.

That is the most important practical formula you can ever learn in life, and few in authority teach it to the average person.

Worth repeating: revenue - expenses = net income. Net income will determine your ability to save and invest (in yourself, first of all, such as education or training).

On the one side, to establish, maintain and increase revenues, you must have marketable skills, you must be able to provide something of value to people with the ability to pay you.

On the other side, your expenses cannot exceed your revenues, month-to-month or year-to-year, without going into debt.

If expenses equal or surpass revenues, you will have no resources left to invest in yourself to increase revenues, so you will either stagnate or get into trouble, unless you go into debt to improve marketable skills.

If you take on debt for education or training, make sure you pursue education or training that will give you marketable skills, the ability to provide something of value to people with the ability to pay you to the point where your revenues exceed your expenses in the most effective turnaround time possible.

Know the numbers and live within your means. Do not rely on your friends and think that living with them will be a picnic. It will be hard work, just like the hard work your parents did in raising you.

An emotional reaction to parents' curfew and other rules does not cut it. Know the numbers, they are not emotional; on the contrary, if used properly, they will help you gauge whether what you are doing is right or wrong.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 08:36 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,686,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanynicolee View Post
My name is Brittany, I am 18 years old & beyond tired of living at my house. I'm not going to say my parents treat me bad because they don't, maybe some silly curfews sometimes but other than that they are very loving & caring. I live in Kentucky, in a really small town. (pop. 10,000 give or take) I am a graduate. I currently do not have a job. I am not planning to pursue moving out until i have a job or two. I will be living with two other girls (splitting all costs).
Renting mobile homes in my area is around $300 a month. I'm not completely sure if thats very cheap or not.
Im looking for tips on moving out, and being successful in living on my own.

Much love, Brittany.<3
Please decide what you want to achieve early in life.

Go to college, get a degree. Find you a career you can enjoy.

You will suffer living on your own cause you want find a good paying job and will struggle paying rent along with other bills.

Why go through all this? When you can stay at home or go off to college and enjoy life.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:56 AM

323 posts, read 503,299 times
Whatever you do, don't get pregnant! This is critical. Go to Planned Parenthood, get birth control and stick to it. Unwed motherhood will ruin your chances in life, and also your child's. I agree with all the advice here. But remember, the ticket to freedom is education.

You can go to junior college free on Pell Grants if you do not live with your parents especially.Its based on your income and available family support. I went to a JC and got an associate degree in nursing. Eventually, I became an ICU nurse making $100,000+ a year. But the money is just a side effect. When you do good for other people, 10 times as much good comes back to you. Nursing is a calling not a job. If you are not having that calling, don't do it. There were a couple of nurses in school who fainted and fell on the floor while watching some proceedure.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:58 AM

31,002 posts, read 37,295,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
I actually think it is a great idea to have roommates as opposed to living by yourself. Splitting a cable bill, and other utilities makes the financial burden significantly less.

I do, however, agree with previous posters who recommend not moving in with "friends." I only talk to 1 of my friends I roomed with (the other 6 and I do not speak). It really can mess up a friendship. When they get on your nerves, there is nowhere to go for space, they will be there with you all of the time.

Just be sure to create some sort of roommate contract so you are all on the same page. Ex: having friends over. If they stay over more than 1 month at a time, their guest needs to chip in with bills. Are you going to allow pets? Are you OK with throwing parties, or prefer to keep things quiet and take the party elsewhere? Just some things to keep in mind before taking the plunge. Having roommies is definitely the financially smart way to go. Living in NYC, it is imperative pretty much to have at least 1 roommate lol not sure about Kentucky but...

Good luck. Definitely get your job lined up. Also, maybe it's just my ignorance because I'm not that familiar w/ mobile homes but are there mobile homes large enough to accommodate 3 women who need their own space? It seems really cramped :/ Is there any apartments around that are not much more than your $300/month budget?
Yes, I agree with this. I generally found it was better to rent a room from someone who was a bit older and more established than with other people in their 20s. Besides all the other legitimate issues mentioned, people in their 20s are always coming and going....people in their 30s and up tend to be more stable so you don't have to worry about getting a new roommate all the time.

But I also think the OP needs to seriously think about what she wants to do to earn a living long term. If not a 4 year college, then at least community college in something marketable. I wouldn't be one of those community college students who just aimlessly takes classes, but some community colleges have practical programs you can complete in 2 years or less.

Here is an interesting blog post on how to make 50K without a college degree:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/...degree-part-1/

Old 07-12-2014, 11:04 AM

46,048 posts, read 61,573,068 times
On other threads some of you who are advising this girl to go to college rant against people going to college.

OP, find a job and get out on your own. You will likely need a roommate or two. That's normal and has been for decades.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:27 AM

31,002 posts, read 37,295,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
Whatever you do, don't get pregnant! This is critical. Go to Planned Parenthood, get birth control and stick to it. Unwed motherhood will ruin your chances in life, and also your child's.
This is absolutely true and there is solid research to back it up:

20 years later, it turns out Dan Quayle was right about Murphy Brown and unmarried moms - The Washington Post

...a wealth of research strongly suggests that marriage is good for children. Those who live with their biological parents do better in school and are less likely to get pregnant or arrested. They have lower rates of suicide, achieve higher levels of education and earn more as adults. Meanwhile, children who spend time in single-parent families are more likely to misbehave, get sick, drop out of high school and be unemployed.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:21 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,632,110 times
Not to toot my own horn, but this is the best advice you've gotten here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Join the Army. Take advantage of the GI Bill. That's what I did.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:24 AM

836 posts, read 1,038,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, I agree with this. I generally found it was better to rent a room from someone who was a bit older and more established than with other people in their 20s. Besides all the other legitimate issues mentioned, people in their 20s are always coming and going....people in their 30s and up tend to be more stable so you don't have to worry about getting a new roommate all the time.

But I also think the OP needs to seriously think about what she wants to do to earn a living long term. If not a 4 year college, then at least community college in something marketable. I wouldn't be one of those community college students who just aimlessly takes classes, but some community colleges have practical programs you can complete in 2 years or less.

Here is an interesting blog post on how to make 50K without a college degree:

50 Jobs over $50,000 – Without a Degree (Part 1)
Agreed! My first two roommates in NYC were 31 and 36 - I was 22. They were already established in their careers and one of my roommates (the 36 y/o) was actually my landlord. She really inspired me to own a home, which I am saving for now. I always used to think that you had to be married before buying a home but she is single, independent and owns her own home. They also gave me a lot of advice when it came to living in Brooklyn since they were there years before me and were able to "show me the ropes".

The only thing is, I was very mature at 22. I really didn't care too much about bringing parties home, etc. I was never late with rent, utilities, etc. Always kept her brownstone in immaculate condition. However, if you are 18 and into the party lifestyle, I would caution that the 30+ year old may have a different lifestyle and there may be some confrontation in that case.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:40 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,959,408 times
Brittany, You will get much better advice on this subject from your PARENTS, than an anonymous online forum. Your parents know you (your experience, capabilities, maturity) and also have a working, living knowledge of your area in terms of employment, cost-of-living, opportunities. They also love and care about you and will give you information that is in YOUR best interest. Ironically, far too many young people think, "my parents just don't understand me" ... while imagining that friends or even strangers do (? - go figure).

Do you have some educational or training options that your parents will help support? This is important and you will have a very low probability of moving ahead with your life or education, while working a minimum wage job. (I was on my own by about 16 --- and it wasn't pretty!) Also, with school, you can essentially live on your own, but, will be associated with other young people (and potential spouse) who are going somewhere.

You may feel 'all grown-up' at 18, and the world may expect you to act/live like a mature adult, but, you are still very young. The choices and decisions you make now, however, can and will likely influence your life for the next 20-years or even longer. Being in a big hurry to get out into the world 'on your own', may seem like a big deal right now, but, that feeling will quickly pass once you get 'out there.' What you really need more than immediate independence, is a real PLAN for the next several years of your life, based on where you want to be then, not simply now.

Right now, you are kind of like Alice in Wonderland. "Which way do I go, which way do I go?" cried Alice. "Where are you going? inquired the caterpillar. "I don't really know," replied Alice. "Then, it really doesn't matter which direction you go, does it?" responded the wise caterpillar.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:00 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,798,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Not to toot my own horn, but this is the best advice you've gotten here.
The army isn't the answer for everyone. Just because you went that route doesn't make it the best advice.

I didn't join the army, have no student loans, and I make 6 figures. I don't claim that following my path would be the best option for everyone though because not everyone has the same situation or skill set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance