Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 03:35 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,543,183 times

Advertisements

Just curious.

A few weeks back I woke up with a $710CAD charge from a Ritz Carlton in Cancun, Mexico. Luckily I reported fraud and it was dealt with and no consequences for me. Phew. I have no idea how that happened. I didn't drink too much and buy weird stuff and forget about it or anything, and the last time I was in Mexico was in April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 04:29 PM

50 posts, read 187,573 times
Someone charged $500+ at a 7/11 in Australia on my card once.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:52 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,508,170 times
I have had only one time I've had anything bad happen. I used my card to pay for a meal at a restaurant, and when I looked the next day, I had a charge on my card that was much larger than my meal. I called the restaurant, and they reversed the charge and comped my meal. No idea whether it was a mistake or fraud, but it was fixed with 1 phone call.

My mom has had her card used by someone to buy a Dell computer online. Wells Fargo called her to question the purchase before the charge even showed up online. She confirmed that she had not made the purchase, and the charges were reversed and she never had to worry about it.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:55 PM

21,905 posts, read 25,225,309 times
My usually card is through Chase who is annoyingly aggressive with fraud alerts. The worst thing that's happened, and it's happened several times, is the card gets declined and within a minute or two I get a text message, reply to it and then redo the purchase. Usually it happens on internet purchases, but I've had it on one or two retail purchases, booking a flight once, checking into a hotel another time. It's annoying since you have to stand there looking like an idiot but beats the alternative. The small day-to-day stuff never gets flagged, but I've had online purchases as low as $250 get rejected.

Last year I had someone apply for a bunch of store credit cards and a few regular ones. Mostly I got rejection letters that the application was a from a suspicious source or something to that effect. One company sent me the credit card and when I went online to poke into it the secondary contact info (phone) and email address were all someone else's. I guess they just wait for you to activate the card and then call and say they lost it? No idea. I just called the credit card company's fraud line and they closed the account, said they'd look into it, and I had them send the free copy of my credit report. Nothing's happened since but kind of creepy.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:04 PM

22,634 posts, read 47,782,880 times
"What's the worst thing that has happened involving your credit card?"

I misplaced it for two days.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,472,012 times
Last month I went to the walmart.com site to buy an inexpensive item. I hadnt been to the site at all this year so imagine my surprise when I found a $2,100.00 computer in my shopping basket -- and a new out-of-state shipping address added to my account.

I immediately contacted walmart.com but they didnt seem to care that someone had hacked into my online account like that. According to walmart.com, there wasnt enough $$$ left on my credit card to complete the purchase so the hacker was trying to make the purchase every few days, apparently in the hopes that it the sale would eventually go through.

And I was even more surprised when a walmart.com customer service agent casually advised me that someone had tried to purchase another computer for $2,300.00 on my account a few months earlier and have it shipped to that same address. Fortunately, my credit card didnt have enough available $$$ to complete that purchase either.

I was livid that walmart.com didnt send me any emails (my email address had not been changed on my account) when the new address was added and that it also didnt send me any emails when the purchases were denied by my credit card. And I was also livid that walmart.com didnt seem to care about these fraudulent attempts. So I closed out my walmart.com account right then.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:05 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,424,040 times
Interesting - recently made a walmart.com purchase and then within 2 weeks an email from Bank of America with a fraud alert and they cancelled that card and sent us new ones w/new numbers. Thinking it may be related now that I read TFWs post

Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,857,135 times
In 1989 I was the victim of identity theft when someone used my credit accounts to establish others. That was before it became "popular" and before the internet (at least, before the internet as it exists today). Try getting your credit reports and ascertaining what all the department store/catalogue codes are without the internet. It's pretty daunting.

Anyway, the theft of my identity and number of fraudulent accounts were so extensive (and it was so rare at that time) that I was working with the Secret Service at the federal building to resolve it. Luckily, I had success after only a few months.

Contrary to those dumb credit protection ads you often see on TV, there's nothing funny about identity theft. Oh, and be prepared for (and very afraid about) the next great theft about to occur: medical identity theft.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:23 AM

22,634 posts, read 47,782,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Oh, and be prepared for (and very afraid about) the next great theft about to occur: medical identity theft.
Already aware of that in my area.
Every doctor's office I go to asks for photo ID at the reception desk.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:29 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,472,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
Interesting - recently made a walmart.com purchase and then within 2 weeks an email from Bank of America with a fraud alert and they cancelled that card and sent us new ones w/new numbers. Thinking it may be related now that I read TFWs post

I suspect that walmart.com has someone in its employ -- either in the IT Dept or the Billing Dept -- who did the hackings on my account. My password was so difficult that it was almost impossible for any hacking program to catch. I suggested to walmart.com that they check to see if that Portland, OR address had been added to anyone else's account but they didnt seem interested in doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance