Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:59 PM

1,910 posts, read 2,576,539 times

Advertisements

Just small things. Had a few fraudulent charges from my phone company that were quickly reversed with a phone call. I also lost my card once and was sent a new one. All the benefits far outweighed any "problems". Credit cards are great if you know how to use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 11:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,966 posts, read 58,859,965 times
Technology is best and worse.

Traveling internationally for one yr, no access to USA cell phone or a desktop for security validations and was changing IP addy / carrier every day, or several times / day.

THEN. Fidelity and Costco decide to change banks and carriers,

All auotpays rejected (12 properties with taxes, utilities, insurance, maint, so 48 accts + at lest 6 personal autopays all default)

Cc company sets fraud alerts cuz we are never in one spot for a week, (we had travel alerts set) so... it was a hassle to be out of USA and have time zones / lengthy waits on service calls and daily card lock-outs, then a whole host of charges from Australia, where we hadn't been for 6 months. Then.... have a very common foreign personal name that a USA gen X or millenial will NOT accept as a possible name for your gender. Long year of hassles with CC, nearly everyday. (And often all night).

Our Credit Union opted to change IT platforms at the same time and no longer recognized PDs. I wouldn't have access to a PC workstation for 6 more months, so..... 4 option for getting cash and completing transactions were all dead, and I was 11,000 miles from home for 6 more months. Lost a little weight, and a lot of patience.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:25 PM

473 posts, read 510,159 times
Some charges for items at Walmart and local grocery chain are coming back few bucks off even if I use self check out. Will keep receipts from now on to monitor whatever seems to be wrong around this city.

Friend was working at a bank, and they had a hacker so money was disappearing from accounts and management wouldn't do anything about it. CAN BE BETTER IDEA TO CHANGE BANKS IF YOU HAVE THIS HAPPEN BECAUSE CAN BE BAD SOFTWARE THE MANAGEMENT IS TOO CHEAP TO FIX.

Have lots of trouble around this city with stolen debit card information. Was better to use credit card.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:58 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,245,564 times
Worst thing for me was years ago I paid a bill early and they raised my interest rate because it looked like I made 2 payments in 1 montn and no payment following month....that really pi $$ ed me off

Old 10-30-2016, 03:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,966 posts, read 58,859,965 times
AMEX started running someone elses charges on my statements (card I seldom used). They were legit charges from someone, not fraud, and AMEX took 3 months to figure someone else in my employment and CU had the same acct number or access.

It was really strange, until we each got new cards. Eventually AMEX paid me back, but not till I started accuring charges on my new card.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:25 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,205,764 times
When I had to put a huge emergency vet bill on my credit card...I ended up paying a few hundred dollars in interest when all was said and done.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:20 PM

37,228 posts, read 42,569,988 times
Just the typical fraud that the banks usually caught before I did. I've had to have several replaced over the years but I guess that's the cost of living.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:19 AM

32,860 posts, read 48,901,030 times
Only bad thing, but it was really bad. You know those blank checks they include in your credit card statement? Someone stole my mail and spent those checks on over $10,000 worth of who knows what. The credit card company refused to fix it without the check numbers, which I didn't kbow, having never seen the checks, and there were no check numbers on the statement. The service representatives took the attitude that they certainly weren't going to go to the extra few seconds of work to find out how to deal with the issues.

It was a nightmare to get it strained out.

My ex had an account number stolen from a closed account and that didn't get straightened out until it went to a collection agency and the collection agency actually agreed to check the signatures on the charge slips and saw that he didn't sign for the charges.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:27 AM

3,972 posts, read 6,943,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayAddams View Post
Someone charged $500+ at a 7/11 in Australia on my card once.
What does a purchase for $500 look like at a 7/11?!?! That HAS to be suspicious in itself.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:47 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,940,321 times
What's the worst thing that has happened involving your credit card?

The bill arriving lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance