Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:04 AM

238 posts, read 1,146,790 times

Advertisements

In the past, I have spent thousands of dollars $$$ on Christmas gifts for many relatives. I have devoted many hours on weekends and evenings fighting the crowds at the Mall. All for what, a few people saying a quick thank you and then putting the gift away in a closet.

I think I was fooled into believing that I had to buy a gift for everyone to be a regular person and a good family member. This year I have announced that I do not want any gifts or will I buy a gift for any adult in the family. My gifts for the kids will be my time or an experience, not a material good.

Am I wrong? Will people like me destroy the American economy? Will we destroy Christmas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 08:33 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,425,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
In the past, I have spent thousands of dollars $$$ on Christmas gifts for many relatives. I have devoted many hours on weekends and evenings fighting the crowds at the Mall. All for what, a few people saying a quick thank you and then putting the gift away in a closet.

I think I was fooled into believing that I had to buy a gift for everyone to be a regular person and a good family member. This year I have announced that I do not want any gifts or will I buy a gift for any adult in the family. My gifts for the kids will be my time or an experience, not a material good.

Am I wrong? Will people like me destroy the American economy? Will we destroy Christmas?

I think that sends an angry message to people, like, well, you've all been so ungrateful, how's this for christmas: nothing!

why not just do something thoughtful but less expensive, like give people books on poetry or bake cookies or whatever? i budget about $20 per person for christmas and i'm going to buy everything before thanksgiving. i think simple gifts are always the best.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:48 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,531,720 times
Default 20 bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I think that sends an angry message to people, like, well, you've all been so ungrateful, how's this for christmas: nothing!

why not just do something thoughtful but less expensive, like give people books on poetry or bake cookies or whatever? i budget about $20 per person for Christmas and I'm going to buy everything before thanksgiving. i think simple gifts are always the best.
Agreed. $20 is about right budget for each person and simple gifts are better. Also home made/self made gifts mean more to family members. At least I my family this concept has worked for the last 5 years.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:52 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,445,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
I don't think you're wrong at all. Christmas shouldn't be about gifts (though there's nothing wrong with exchanging gifts). It seems to me that you told everyone well in advance that you don't want to exchange gifts, so there shouldn't be any hard feelings. You should be able to enjoy the holiday with friends and family, just like everyone else.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:09 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,042,380 times
My sister only buys for the children in our family not adults. I see nothing wrong with this. I personally only buy gifts for immediate family (husband, parents on both sides, siblings (3 total) and their children (5 total) and that's it). I don't spend a fortune on people ($100/parents so $50 each, $25 each/siblings, $25 each/children, hubby varies from year to year). Last year I bought each of my coworkers (6 total) a tree ornament ($4/each). To me it's the thought that counts NOT the dollar amount. I try to stick to these figures but if I see something that I KNOW my sister is going to LOVE and it's over the $25 then I buy it (i'm talking $10 over not $100 over).

Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 AM

384 posts, read 1,135,133 times
I think you are helping destroy Christmas, and I think you come off as a Scrooge. But that is just me. Christmas is once a year, and is a special holiday unless you don't make it special for yourself.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:39 AM

1,713 posts, read 6,743,357 times
I think you are okay...you are not ruining Christmas. It should be about good food and time with the family. It's not worth all the stress and fighting for a parking space and last minute shopping for a material item. It's a joke how Americans scramble around year after year buying bigger and more expensive items just to keep up with the coolness factor.

Like noted above, Christmas may be a once a year special holiday, but you're not forced to buy everyone you know some special gift to make them happy.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:40 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,198,614 times
Our local homeless shelter has a program each year where for $10 you can give a "night of shelter" to a homeless man, woman or child.
One year I donated a night of shelter for each of my immediate family
along with their gifts they received a card that said
"A night of shelter has been donated in your name"

this was the best $70 I have ever spent and everyone thought it was a great idea

this is a really good thing for those "they don't really need anything" folks on your list

If you are planning on giving your time or an experience to your kids at least take the time to makeup a nice certificate or even give them an item that has something to do with your gift.

I really like the idea of ornaments especially if you have a tag that says from to and the year, every year when they decorate they will see the ornament and remember you

Old 11-06-2007, 10:03 AM

8,990 posts, read 11,873,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Our local homeless shelter has a program each year where for $10 you can give a "night of shelter" to a homeless man, woman or child.
One year I donated a night of shelter for each of my immediate family
along with their gifts they received a card that said
"A night of shelter has been donated in your name"

this was the best $70 I have ever spent and everyone thought it was a great idea

this is a really good thing for those "they don't really need anything" folks on your list

If you are planning on giving your time or an experience to your kids at least take the time to makeup a nice certificate or even give them an item that has something to do with your gift.

I really like the idea of ornaments especially if you have a tag that says from to and the year, every year when they decorate they will see the ornament and remember you
The shelter thing would be a good way to teach kids about compassion and stuff like that. How do I convince my nephew to give up his Xbox so other people can sleep and eat?

Old 11-06-2007, 10:06 AM

2,975 posts, read 13,404,872 times
How about this -- can you bake? If not, then you might have a nearby bakery. Buy some inexpensive decorated tins at a dollar store or elswhere and fill the tins with holiday cookies. Send the adults a tin of mixed holiday cookies - this way they know you thought about them and the cookies will be eaten. Just tell folks that you are sorry, but these are tight times ... they will be happy you thought of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance