Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 03:34 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,221,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCK View Post
My estranged husband makes a list for himself to send to all his relatives. From what I understand this year, he actually printed pictures of the items he wanted and attached them to the list - so there is not be any misunderstanding about exactly what he wanted.
now THAT would drive me bonkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 09:10 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,104,234 times
I like giving gifts, but I generally only give gifts to my family and close friends, and I budget about $20 per person (about $10-15 for co-workers). The most I've ever gone into debt for Christmas is $100, which was paid off the following month.

I don't get people who turn what should be an expression of appreciation for those around them into some sort of weirdo consumerist free-for-all.

... this year I know that a couple family members are doing rough financially, and I will probably receive homemade gifts from them, which I will treasure like any other gift I've received from them in the past.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:33 AM

201 posts, read 906,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post

Am I wrong? Will people like me destroy the American economy? Will we destroy Christmas?

There is no rule or law on how one must celebrate any day, including Christmas.

People celebrated Christmas long before "Santa", "Macy's" or "Coca Cola" got involved.

Just keep that in mind if anyone has comments for you.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:37 AM

201 posts, read 906,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCK View Post

My estranged husband makes a list for himself to send to all his relatives. From what I understand this year, he actually printed pictures of the items he wanted and attached them to the list - so there is not be any misunderstanding about exactly what he wanted.

I make a list as well, but its not to pressure people in to getting me anything, its because everyone on both sides of my family always want to know what to get me, and if forced to answer that on the spot, I never can.

So, starting December 26th, I keep up a list of everything I want or need, and by the end of the year, I have a nice list to hand anyone who says "What do you want for Christmas", and who wont accept "nothing" for an answer.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:38 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,994,954 times
Default you can save money at Christmas time

Quote:
In the past, I have spent thousands of dollars $$$ on Christmas gifts for many relatives. I have devoted many hours on weekends and evenings fighting the crowds at the Mall. All for what, a few people saying a quick thank you and then putting the gift away in a closet.

I think I was fooled into believing that I had to buy a gift for everyone to be a regular person and a good family member. This year I have announced that I do not want any gifts or will I buy a gift for any adult in the family. My gifts for the kids will be my time or an experience, not a material good.

Am I wrong? Will people like me destroy the American economy? Will we destroy Christmas?
My brilliant wife found a way for us to buy all the christmas gifts for less than 225.00... total (gifts for everyone in our immediate and extended family too!). In the past we've spent 400-500.00 so this is a massive savings. The key thing was ordering everything online (and getting the best deals), and listen to this it even gets better... She leveraged paypal and amazon gift card money earned via online surveys (conducted in the evenings) so the end result was that we spent 0.00 out of pocket!

I hate to brag.. and that's not my intention. Instead I just want to share that there are ways to cut your costs tremendously. Avoiding sales tax by ordering things online is one way. Searching for the best deals before purchasing is another way. Lastly, if you spend some of your evening time completing online surveys (and participating in focus groups) via reputable companies you can earn money to put towards the gifts with little effort (www.momswallet.com is a site we've used to identify other ways to not necessarily make a lot of money, but just a little which helps for times like this, the holiday-spending season).

Old 12-12-2007, 04:37 PM

18,740 posts, read 33,459,496 times
Sure seems like an issue to me that the U.S. economy is (supposedly) 70 percent consumer spending. Seems there'd be a lot of flexibility to cut back or way down if one is having a tight year, as I assume that "consumer spending" refers to a lot of non-essential buying, not, say, utilities or groceries. Certainly non-essential spending (like a materialistic Christmas blowout) would be among the first expenditures to go if someone is having a tight year or a new budget or something.
I have never observed Christmas- just doesn't interest me- although I used to have a ritual of finding a very interesting tree ornament for my sister. How much can that be? Maybe, at most, $25 for something like blown glass?
I also find that older people, like my father or friends in their 70s, certainly do not want "stuff." They don't need any, either. Taking them out for a nice dinner or sending flowers or other perishables works best.
I guess I'm not doing my share for the economy, at least, not 70 percent worth.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:17 PM

15,880 posts, read 21,490,820 times
I haven't bought Hanukkah gifts on principle for several years. In high school, I was surrounded by people with too much stuff. They didn't need any more. Since I was 16 I've donated in my friend's names to either a charity of their choice or an AIDS or sustainable development charity. Before I developed a dairy allergy and celiac disease (so no gluten), I would bake as well.

A warning to those who bake- make SURE you know the dietary differences of those who you are baking for! This doesn't occur to people without food allergies, but it really is upsetting to receive a gift that you cannot enjoy. It's alienating and a reminder of how different you are. As a college student, most of my friends and associates don't have much money so many people baked. I THOUGHT everyone knew I couldn't eat dairy or gluten but apparently that slipped 5 people's minds (including my boss!). While I'm obviously thankful these people thought of me, it's kind of sad having to pass along all those goodies to other friends! I would rather have received no gift at all or a card.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:11 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,525 posts, read 6,338,699 times
Anymore Christmas is easy. Im an only child so all I buy for is Mom. The Huz isnt here right now and Im on the outs with my Outlaws. They dont play nice so I dont play with them any more.

The only person who buys for me is Mom And truthfully I wish she wouldnt cause all she lives on is social security. I hate to say it but Ive become one of those picky old broads who doesnt want or need anything. Its not that I dont appreciate the thought. But she always buys me tacky stuff from catalogs. And she always thinks shes got me just what I needed. . Last year I got a hotdog toaster. It looks like a toaster. It cooks two hotdogs and toasts two buns all at the same time.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:10 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,514,768 times
Quote:
In the past, I have spent thousands of dollars $$$ on Christmas gifts for many relatives. I have devoted many hours on weekends and evenings fighting the crowds at the Mall. All for what, a few people saying a quick thank you and then putting the gift away in a closet.

I think I was fooled into believing that I had to buy a gift for everyone to be a regular person and a good family member. This year I have announced that I do not want any gifts or will I buy a gift for any adult in the family. My gifts for the kids will be my time or an experience, not a material good.

I agree with you and I do the same. Sounds like you've overspent in the past.

If it works, have a party. a bbq, or get together with drinks and some baked items.. Far less than what you've spent in the past and much more enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance