Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times

Advertisements

I currently pay the out-of-pocket expenses for a spouse in Assisted Living. The monthly expense is taking its toll on me financially. I had a thought recently. If I could find 5 relatives to pitch in $1000 a month each, or 10 to pitch on $500 a month each, I could cover this expense. I'm thinking that they might be willing to do so if that expense would be a straight 100% of the amout tax-deduction for them each year. Is there a way to set something like this up? Can I somehow register her to the IRS as a non-profit charity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 08:13 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I am all for creative book-keeping, however I do not think that you will be able to get this one to fly.

Living expenses are just that.

If it were medical expenses, or required due to a business plan; but if it is all living expenses, than there is not much you can do.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:43 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I currently pay the out-of-pocket expenses for a spouse in Assisted Living. The monthly expense is taking its toll on me financially. I had a thought recently. If I could find 5 relatives to pitch in $1000 a month each, or 10 to pitch on $500 a month each, I could cover this expense. I'm thinking that they might be willing to do so if that expense would be a straight 100% of the amout tax-deduction for them each year. Is there a way to set something like this up? Can I somehow register her to the IRS as a non-profit charity?
You need to contact the social worker at the assisted living place and find solutions to your problem. You will not be able to get a tax deduction for friends, however his medical costs could be a tax deduction for you if it is over 7.5% of our AGI. You might need to investigate Medicaid as a solution. In the mean time, investigate some Long Term Care Insurance for yourself.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You need to contact the social worker at the assisted living place and find solutions to your problem. You will not be able to get a tax deduction for friends, however his medical costs could be a tax deduction for you if it is over 7.5% of our AGI.
I'm hoping so.

Quote:
You might need to investigate Medicaid as a solution.
Been there done that twice. They will not cover any portion of the cost. They MIGHT cover part of the cost for a Nursing Home if we divorce so only her disability income is considered. But, we can't wait that long for a bed to become available somewhere.

Quote:
In the mean time, investigate some Long Term Care Insurance for yourself.
I hear you, but I certainly can't commit to that level of a monthly expense until I'm free of the other financial obligations.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I'm hoping so.

Been there done that twice. They will not cover any portion of the cost. They MIGHT cover part of the cost for a Nursing Home if we divorce so only her disability income is considered. But, we can't wait that long for a bed to become available somewhere.

I hear you, but I certainly can't commit to that level of a monthly expense until I'm free of the other financial obligations.
Medicaid will not pay for assisted living, they never have. Your only option is to go to a nursing home and have them pay for that. Check again about having to get a divorce and them only using her income. In most states there are provisions for income for a spouse, not that they are all that great, but you won't have to sell your house, you can keep a car and a reasonable income. Have you contacted an elder care attorney or onbudmuson in your area? They may be of great assistance in your situation.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Medicaid will not pay for assisted living, they never have. Your only option is to go to a nursing home and have them pay for that. Check again about having to get a divorce and them only using her income. In most states there are provisions for income for a spouse, not that they are all that great, but you won't have to sell your house, you can keep a car and a reasonable income. Have you contacted an elder care attorney or onbudmuson in your area? They may be of great assistance in your situation.
I was working with an Eldercare attorney when she went into the AL facility, so obviously all of my financial resources have been diverted to that task. The important thing to keep in mind is that Nursing Homes, especially the higher rated ones, have a backlog of admissions that runs, currently in this area anyways, 6-10 years out. There's very little chance that she'll still be alive that many years into the future. And I imagaine that funding to build new Nursing Home complexes is probably not going to be available for quite some time.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I was working with an Eldercare attorney when she went into the AL facility, so obviously all of my financial resources have been diverted to that task. The important thing to keep in mind is that Nursing Homes, especially the higher rated ones, have a backlog of admissions that runs, currently in this area anyways, 6-10 years out. There's very little chance that she'll still be alive that many years into the future. And I imagaine that funding to build new Nursing Home complexes is probably not going to be available for quite some time.
In MN there has been a moratorium on building nursing homes for 10+ years because of the drain on the Medicaid system. There is no funding for nursing homes here so people need to plan for the possibility of going into assisted living. Yes, it is expensive but still less then it would be paying for it yourself.

I think you need to revisit the eldercare attorney and look at your options again. Obviously your circumstances have changed and you might have more options then know know. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance