Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your retirement strategy?
I have no idea 27 12.16%
Savings/investments/house and I'm on track 105 47.30%
Savings/investment/house but I know I'm behind 37 16.67%
Corporate/gov pension so I don't need to worry 28 12.61%
I can just sell my house & downsize and should be ok 8 3.60%
I may just live abroad in a cheaper place 17 7.66%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:54 AM

55 posts, read 92,704 times

Advertisements

New to the board and I can't figure out the quote function but I do agree completely with mathjak107's quote:

"some of your money shoud be allocated to the purposes of not growing richer, but it to not growing poorer."

Would never recommend leveraging your primary home for investing purposes.

If life goes to hell in a handbasket tomorrow, you have a place to live and no mortgage. You have utilities to pay but those can be budgeted and managed to some degree. You also have the option to sell your home, move to a smaller home and survive until better times. These are the comforts that give us the peace to be able to make the riskier investments with the rest of the savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,078 times
Do you think if we want to make Aliyah to Netanya. I am 60 and I will get my pension when I am 62 years old. Do you advice us to come now or wait until I get my pension and then my husband will be 67 years old.

Yours faithfully

Valerie Baum

Old 06-02-2013, 04:47 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,501,675 times
Will U.S. workers ever be able to retire?

Old 06-02-2013, 05:10 PM

50,403 posts, read 64,119,967 times
We will not be able to afford to retire, but it won't stop us. We will eat and have a roof over out heads, and go down to one car. We will have the gift of free time, and will adjust to whatever our means are.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:31 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,501,675 times
Hopefully people wake up, will start to live beneath their means, start saving for their retirement nest egg.

From where I live in Tampa, I see so many people who seem to be extended beyond their means (nice cars, houses, $1-2k season tickets pro sports).

Hopefully they'll see the warning signs are change their spending habits.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:50 PM

956 posts, read 792,399 times
Is anyone out there retired and actively trading stocks and/or options? I'm on track to retire in 18 months. I'm doing ok in the market now, but I think I could do a lot better if I could pursue it full-time. I would allocate about 40% of my net worth to actively invest and put the rest in low yield but secure investments. Working 55 hours/week plus trying to fit in a life leaves little time for due diligence and developing good trading strategies.

How successful have others been that have taken up active trading in retirement?

Old 06-07-2013, 10:58 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,014,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Hopefully people wake up, will start to live beneath their means, start saving for their retirement nest egg.

From where I live in Tampa, I see so many people who seem to be extended beyond their means (nice cars, houses, $1-2k season tickets pro sports).

Hopefully they'll see the warning signs are change their spending habits.
This typically doesn't happen, unfortunately .

Old 06-08-2013, 08:14 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,376,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
Working 55 hours/week plus trying to fit in a life leaves little time for due diligence and developing good trading strategies. How successful have others been that have taken up active trading in retirement?
Actve trading is a little like active slot-machine-handle-pulling. Best to do it only with money you can afford to lose. The older you get, the less money you can afford to lose. It would be well to consider the "War Games" wisdom of the notion that the only winning move is not to play.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:20 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,376,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This typically doesn't happen, unfortunately .
The original scenario doesn't typically happen either. The people who drop a couple of grand on season tickets to anything are those who can afford to do that. These are the people who tend to live in upscale housing as well. The notion of masses of people off living beyond their means and causing all these problems for the ever responsible rest of us is 99.44% pure flim-flam.

[Duck -- here come the anecdotes!]

Old 06-08-2013, 02:53 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,393,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
tell us all about this safe investment that yields 5%. i know quite a few that yield 5% but that word safe is missing from my description.
EXACTLY. Where can you make SAFE or guaranteed 5% without risks?

As I always mention on this forum..... there isn't always a one size fits all answer. Me personally, heading into early retirement, I wanted to have a paid off mortgage and fully own my home. No way I'd want to be retired and still have a mortgage of any kind. In fact, I own several properties and the thing they all have in common is I don't hold a mortgage on ANY of them.

Of course, I'm already diversified already in other investments. But more times than not, people saying they can leverage or "invest" and make guaranteed returns with those funds don't always do it.

I've also seen friends/clients that try to make the same argument do very silly things with the money and they blow it. From bad or risky investments to loaning money to family or friends (that never gets paid back).

It's not like you have guaranteed 5% or 6% CD's. Sure the stock market has been on a tear the past few years and it's easy to play "Monday morning Quarterback" but during the financial crash most people were crapping their pants with fear.

Having a paid off mortgage in retirement is the best feeling to me. Even in a high COL area like San Diego, we have extremely affordable property taxes and Proposition 13 working for us limiting property tax increases. So even having a rather expensive home, I pay less annual property taxes vs. friends with a much smaller and affordable property in lower COL areas like Dallas.

Sure, many people can make better returns than the lower mortgage rates but it should be noted that lots of people blow this money as well. I still think in the majority of the cases in retirement, people that own should strive to have a paid off mortgage vs. carry a mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance