Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:28 PM

56 posts, read 182,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMar View Post
I was told Ihop is interested in Ruby Tuesday building. Would be a hit on the Perkin 's breakfast crowd
Can anybody else confirm his rumor? I for one would love his to happen! Only thing better for me would be Olive Garden. I think IHOP'S omelet and pancakes are far superior to Perkin's. Perkin's does have the better lunch/dinners though. Boy, I would have to hide the scale under the bed if this happens! Thanks for the info LeeMar!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 05:39 PM

42 posts, read 114,781 times
IHOP? Would it be too much to ask for something that wasn't a chain which served "all-American" food? Anyone here ever eat Thai? Pakistani? Indian?

Why must we endure pancakes, fried meats, "Italian" pasta dishes, burgers and fries EVERYWHERE?

Old 08-25-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberger View Post
IHOP? Would it be too much to ask for something that wasn't a chain which served "all-American" food? Anyone here ever eat Thai? Pakistani? Indian?

Why must we endure pancakes, fried meats, "Italian" pasta dishes, burgers and fries EVERYWHERE?

I have indeed eaten and happen to like Thai food very much dberger. I have only had Indian once before. I found it to be mediocre and quite greasy (maybe it was just the place I went to). I would like to try it again though. Do you feel that restaurants in that genre would actually obtain enough patrons to continue business in this area, just curious? I happen to have serious doubts. I do agree that it would be nice to have more variety around here, but it has to be sustainable.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:57 PM

226 posts, read 760,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesWeCan View Post
I have indeed eaten and happen to like Thai food very much dberger. I have only had Indian once before. I found it to be mediocre and quite greasy (maybe it was just the place I went to). I would like to try it again though. Do you feel that restaurants in that genre would actually obtain enough patrons to continue business in this area, just curious? I happen to have serious doubts. I do agree that it would be nice to have more variety around here, but it has to be sustainable.

I don't know if Olive & Jasmine Asian Bistro of Lancaster fits in this catagory but I ate their and it was the worst meal I've ever ate
The chicken was hard and the rice was so tasteless, that eating the leftovers later, made me feel sick

Old 08-26-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesWeCan View Post
I just want to clear up that I wasn't insulting anyone's taste in the area. Just annoyed at the lack of diversity. I think something exotic would thrive in the area. First of all, there is NOTHING Thai or Indian or Pakistani or Moroccan, so it has the novelty factor going for it. Secondly, Selinsgrove is a college town and lots of those people come from the Philly and New York metro areas in the further-east part of the state or New Jersey, New York, etc. They're used to a diversity in their cuisine, most likely, and would surely enjoy being able to get some of their favorites while at school.

As for the locals, everyone should have an open mind and try something new. It's okay to dislike Indian food, but it's not okay to exclude it from the menu!

(And also, I think the Indian food you had was just bad, unfortunately. I've never encountered a grease problem.)

Old 08-27-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberger View Post
I just want to clear up that I wasn't insulting anyone's taste in the area. Just annoyed at the lack of diversity. I think something exotic would thrive in the area. First of all, there is NOTHING Thai or Indian or Pakistani or Moroccan, so it has the novelty factor going for it. Secondly, Selinsgrove is a college town and lots of those people come from the Philly and New York metro areas in the further-east part of the state or New Jersey, New York, etc. They're used to a diversity in their cuisine, most likely, and would surely enjoy being able to get some of their favorites while at school.

As for the locals, everyone should have an open mind and try something new. It's okay to dislike Indian food, but it's not okay to exclude it from the menu!

(And also, I think the Indian food you had was just bad, unfortunately. I've never encountered a grease problem.)

LOL, that is good to know that it is probably just the restaurant I went to. Oh, and no problem I did not feel at all insulted. I agree with you, I must echo the frustration with the lack of diversity in food we have around here. One can only take big chain food and small pizza shop food but so much. With that said, it is interesting how packed "Casa Sanchez" gets. So maybe you have something there. The closest Thai food place I know of is in Bloomsburg (quite good actually) especially the soup. I think the Indian restaurant is still open down there as well. Unfortunately, that is like 40 minutes away, so I cannot order from there on a whim. Have any of you been to those places?

Old 08-27-2009, 11:26 PM

I've never eaten at either of those places, actually. I've just "re-arrived" in the area after 5 years in Philly at Temple, so I'm getting re-acquainted with everything. And I really got used to Saturday morning Indian food (it's like a miracle cure for hangovers, incidentally)...and now I can't have my fix! Haha. So maybe I'll check those places out. I love a good, pre-fab, huge, Applebee's burger as much as the next guy but I can only take so much...haha. I'll be off to Charlotte, NC in a couple months, so that might also help my craving. But I'm speaking up in this thread for all the people who've said to me what I've said here -- we need something different.

Also, Casa Sanchez might be a good indicator. And/or, it might just be really, really tasty. I tend to think both are true :-D

Old 08-28-2009, 11:14 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,112 times
Just curious how is the Tokyo Diner by the Country Hearth hotel? I've been meaning to eat there forever but haven't gone yet.

I'm still holding hope that Red Lobster somehow makes it's way into our area.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:51 AM

226 posts, read 760,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
Just curious how is the Tokyo Diner by the Country Hearth hotel? I've been meaning to eat there forever but haven't gone yet.

I'm still holding hope that Red Lobster somehow makes it's way into our area.
We ate there twice and were very pleased Lunch is very reasonable and you get a large plate of food They are quite entertaining too

Old 08-29-2009, 06:48 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMar View Post
We ate there twice and were very pleased Lunch is very reasonable and you get a large plate of food They are quite entertaining too
I'm going to have to go there soon. I go to a similar place down in State College as I have a friend who likes to go there when I visit.

Just curious.......does anybody have the phone number for the Cinema Center at the mall that connects you with a live person? I'm being lazy and not wanting to listen to the complete line up and times of movies to get it on the recorded line. I want to ask when and if we are going to be getting 3D screens. It stinks to go up to the Lycoming Mall for a 3D movie and hope they will soon get screens for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania