Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 10,691 times

Advertisements

Can anyone out there tell me about the Reading area - specifically jobs, housing and medical. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 02:30 PM

111 posts, read 516,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pweiss View Post
Can anyone out there tell me about the Reading area - specifically jobs, housing and medical. Thanks.
Regarding jobs, they are here, what kind of jobs (good paying/not so good paying) depends on what you do.

Check the Reading Eagle online for a sampling. (http://www.readingeagle.com/)

I believe housing is plentiful. There's plenty of homes on the market in the area. (I'm an RE agent) Prices low to high, it's all there. There's rentals, but I don't pay too much attention to them.

Reading Hospital and St Joes(new) serve the area, and Lehigh Valley hospital is with an hour, and Philly is about an hour and a half / 2 hours away as well. Childrens Hospital (CHOP) and Fox Chase Cancer Ctr are among the many choices of medical facilities there.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:39 PM

Location: Rural PA, where we are apparently bitter and cling to spirits and artillery. Well, we ARE gun owners
20 posts, read 74,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pweiss View Post
I've never heard of anyone not being able to get a job around Reading. There is Reading Hospital, which is understaffed and rushed (I hear) and a new hospital called St. Joseph's off of route 183 which is modern and clean.

There are all kinds of housing. Row houses, manufactured homes, single family, doubles, townhouses, apartments. You name it. Rents in the city proper are cheap- usually about $450-500 per month for a row house. I don't recommend the city,though it was safe and beautiful at one time, it is filled with crime, garbage, graffiti.

You asked about the Reading "area"-does that mean you are open to outskirts?
Try Temple, Blandon, Fleetwood, Shoemakersville, Wyomissing, Shillington. Still reasonably priced but without the urban headaches.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:42 PM

54 posts, read 224,771 times
I have nothing nice to say about the Reading area. I can't wait to leave.
It's dirty.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:53 PM

164 posts, read 200,067 times
Heeeeeeeelllll nah, don't go to Reading. Are you nutz?

Median income is only $24K
Unemployment is 9.2%
and the poverty rate is 35%
Crime is double the Nat'l average
Blood gangs litter 'da hoods' with graffiti
^^^^These are the facts
I'm not just babbling that PA sucks, this is right off City-Data

If you're in your right mind, you'd stay out of Reading and the rest of PA

Old 09-26-2007, 11:40 AM

20 posts, read 86,855 times
Unhappy Is small, is filthy and is ugly.

That was my daughter response today when I asked her about reading. UFFF!!!

Some of my family members live and own property up there.... they are well off. But considering that my daughter was raise in an are in Kentucky when you can still leave your doors open, and now in a comparatively decent, clean and safe area in Florida(although not as nice or safe as KY) I am having second thoughts about exposing her to an environment that she is not even remotely accostummed to.
I was considering moving to that area(Reading) to be closer to my family and my daughter who is going to fordham next year.... but her answers left me in shock....

I don't know what to do.... I'll probably move somewhere else closer but not there....

Old 09-26-2007, 12:22 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtm84 View Post
Heeeeeeeelllll nah, don't go to Reading. Are you nutz?

Median income is only $24K
Unemployment is 9.2%
and the poverty rate is 35%
Crime is double the Nat'l average
Blood gangs litter 'da hoods' with graffiti
^^^^These are the facts
I'm not just babbling that PA sucks, this is right off City-Data

If you're in your right mind, you'd stay out of Reading and the rest of PA
If that's not bias i don't know what is, not to mention it's from someone who's location is "I hate PA".

Obviously reading is a bad place, but pretty much anywhere about a mile from the river on the west side is nice. Shillington/Kenhorst is a lower middle class area, while wyomissing is more of a middle, upper middle class area. Generally speaking.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:08 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,722 times
If you look on this blog, there is a comparison graph noting Reading's crime rate versus other cities in the Lehigh Valley. It's pretty eye-opening, considering Reading's size.
Lehigh Valley Ramblings

Old 09-27-2007, 08:09 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
As of right now, Allentown has far more murders than Reading, but both cities have too many.
The Poverty rate in Reading is 25%, 10% for the county of Berks. Unemployment is only 4% for Berks county, slightly less than Lehigh.
I'm not trying to knock Allentown, but it seems to be so close to Reading in so many problem areas that saying one is better than the other is nearly impossible.
The whole route 222 corridor from Allentown and Bethlehem to Reading to Lancaster are cooperating against problems coming out of New York and New Jersey, so let's find common ground and concentrate on the positives of the cities and surrounding communities, okay?

Old 10-02-2007, 01:23 PM

20 posts, read 86,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaDutchBabe View Post
I've never heard of anyone not being able to get a job around Reading. There is Reading Hospital, which is understaffed and rushed (I hear) and a new hospital called St. Joseph's off of route 183 which is modern and clean.

There are all kinds of housing. Row houses, manufactured homes, single family, doubles, townhouses, apartments. You name it. Rents in the city proper are cheap- usually about $450-500 per month for a row house. I don't recommend the city,though it was safe and beautiful at one time, it is filled with crime, garbage, graffiti.

You asked about the Reading "area"-does that mean you are open to outskirts?
Try Temple, Blandon, Fleetwood, Shoemakersville, Wyomissing, Shillington. Still reasonably priced but without the urban headaches.
That statement came from a Real Estate Agent.... but I know how it is since I travel at least 4 times a year to Reading.
In a few words Reading has become a DUMP in the last few years. Although there are good areas in PA, it is better to be at least an hour away from Reading..... say, like in Everton, King or prussia or anywhere that is country like if you value your life....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania