Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 05:24 PM

4 posts, read 15,239 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I applied for a couple jobs in the Reading area and I am visiting Reading next weekend for my final interviews and to check out real estate.

I am totally unaware of the area. If one works in Reading, do they normally live there or elsewhere? I am looking to move into a 2-bedroom townhouse. Both guys I interviewed with (same company, different departments) told me that before I accept I really need to come out and look because the price of living is much higher in Reading than in Toledo.

But when I used the Cost of Living Calculator, it indicated that the cost of living was higher in Toledo than in Reading, which I kinda find hard to believe.

But anyway, if people who work in Reading don't live in Reading, where do they live? I looked at some homes (online) in Wyomssing and those were pretty pricey. Nice but pricey.

Any suggestions?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2006, 09:33 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,019 times
The city of Reading itself is a dump. I was out in the area about a year ago and the city reminded me of the Bronx. The nice suburban areas are Exeter,Douglassvillle and Pottstown.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:55 PM

Thank you! That helps a lot! I'll look for real estate online in Exeter, Douglassvillle and Pottstown.

Just by what I was reading about Reading, I was close to canceling my interviews. Anything I pulled up on the web about the city didn't appear very appealing.

Thanks again for your help!

Wendy

Old 11-25-2006, 09:43 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsntLifeWendyful View Post
Thank you! That helps a lot! I'll look for real estate online in Exeter, Douglassvillle and Pottstown.

Just by what I was reading about Reading, I was close to canceling my interviews. Anything I pulled up on the web about the city didn't appear very appealing.

Thanks again for your help!

Wendy

Another alternative for you is to purchase a home in southern Schuylkill County, perhaps in the Deer Lake or Orwigsburg area, and then commute about a half-hour each way to work in Reading. Crime is much lower here, and housing prices should be much more reasonable. You'll probably be out-of-luck for a townhome in southern Schuylkill County, but you may be able to find a ranch home for a similar price in the area. Also check out Hamburg, just over the county line in Berks County. Generally, while I advise most people to move into cities as much as possible because I hate seeing what urban sprawl is doing to the landscape around my native Scranton, in the case of Reading, the city's crime rate is just astronomical! Per capita, the city has a higher murder rate than Philadelphia, which in itself is a very crime-ridden city! My advice would be Northern Berks County/Southern Schuylkill County. Good luck!

Old 11-25-2006, 09:45 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
By the way, I love your screenname; it's very creative!

Old 11-27-2006, 01:04 PM

20 posts, read 151,975 times
Most folks that work in Reading live in the suburbs. Most Reading residents don't work
Also, most of the businesses in Reading are not downtown; there are many corporate parks in the outlying areas. Townhomes are plentiful in the suburbs and you could get a nice 2 bedroom for $150k or so. Check out Exeter and Sinking Spring. If you like more of a suburban flavor, check out Morgantown or Denver areas. All are well within 30 minutes of downtown Reading.
Have fun looking, it's not really that bad of an area, it's just some sections of the downtown that are bad.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:08 PM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times
I really dont want to change your mind here or anything, and im glad you found a job. But about two years ago i left Pennsylvania for Ohio. The main reason i left was because of my job moving me to Cleveland. I just recently moved to Cincinnati, but the taxes in PA are some 4-5 times higher than Ohio. Obviously you already have the job, but can you relocate anywhere else in Pennsylvania? I would consider the Pittsburgh area. If you could relocate anywhere else in either two of the states i would look into Cleveland/Akron, Cincinnati or Columbus first. Good luck in the move either way though.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:35 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
I reccomend living in Kutztown which is 15 miles east of Reading. It's a college town. There is also a huge PA Dutch/Amish population.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:48 PM

35 posts, read 78,419 times
Valley Forge, Chester Springs, Plymouth Meeting area very nice if you don't mind a bit of a commute. 25-30 miles

Old 11-28-2006, 12:20 PM

Thanks everyone for all of your input. There are two interviews, one in Reading, one in Easton.

I appreciate all of your help! Thanks very much.

I'll post back as soon as I know for sure!

Thanks

Wendy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania