Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:54 PM

20 posts, read 67,650 times

Advertisements

I may be relocating from Billings, Montana to Reading, PA & needing some advice about the area. I've never been to PA so this will be a huge change for me. Coming from the largest city in MT (barely 100,000 people), I am used to wide open prairie land, hills, & a view of the Rocky Mountains about an hour away. I would like to relocate somewhere similar, if at all possible, as I wouldn't want to experience too much culture shock right off the bat!

It would need to be somewhere safe, NOT concerned about schools as I'm single, no children. I would prefer an area where I could purchase a single detached home for under $150,000 with a decent yard for my two large dogs. My place of business will be on 200 block of Penn St in Reading. Thanks, in advance, for the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 05:04 AM

Location: South Heidelberg Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania
20 posts, read 108,393 times
Hello and welcome to southeast Pennsylvania. While I've never been to Montana, I suspect there won't be much in regard to scenery that will be like the Billings area. Probably the closest area to Reading in regard to scenery will be north of Reading, towards the town of Hamburg. Blue Mountain, I think, is not far but you will see the mountains in Pennsylvania are different from those out west. The Bernville area is nice, too. Generally, all the suburbs around Reading in Berks County are nice and safe. The negative news usually is about the city. Best of luck to you.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:09 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
You might like Southern Schuylkill County as well. If you were to move somewhere like Deer Lake or Orwigsburg near the Route 61 corridor you'd still be within commuting range of Reading but living in a very rural atmosphere. Real estate values are very depressed in Schuylkill County due to its economic stagnation (declining mining area), so there are some great deals to be had. While I'm all for being an urban pioneer the city proper of Reading is so compact that it's hard to say you live in a city neighborhood that is fully "removed" from the riffraff. I'd definitely look into Hamburg, Deer Lake, Orwigsburg, etc.

Best of luck, and welcome in advance to Pennsylvania!

Old 12-30-2009, 12:13 PM

24 posts, read 113,341 times
Default Welcome to Reading

When I read the posts about Reading on these websites, it seems like such an awful place. But it is not! Most people are referring to a small area of Reading where there is crime, etc. West Reading is very nice. Lots of shops and the Berkshire Mall, good basics. We live 10 miles outside of Reading and trust me, it's the sticks. I love it. There is basically 0 crime. In terms of the pollution, that is all over the North East. There is a power plant in reading and other plants giving off emissions. There is a nuclear power plant in Pottstown. In Reading, you are 20 minutes from Amish country. For your situation, I would look to the towns to the West or South of Reading. In terms of the 150K price tag. That might be hard to find. Get a good realtor and they can help you out!

Old 12-30-2009, 05:51 PM

634 posts, read 1,165,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufordtjustice View Post
I would prefer an area where I could purchase a single detached home for under $150,000 with a decent yard for my two large dogs.
@ 150k you are pretty much priced out of anything decent. If you are willing to yield on the "detached" requirement then I would recommend Kutztown.

But really some one in your situation should be considering a rental.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:16 PM

12 posts, read 66,960 times
My wife and i relocated to this area in 2002. We lived in Orwigsburg for 5 years before her job had us relocate again (to Richmond, VA and now State College, PA). We talk almost daily about how much we LOVED Orwigsburg and the surrounding area and would move back there in a heart beat. We have lived a number of places in the north eastern U.S. and this area is very nice. I think for what you're looking for, this would be a good fit for you. Very quiet. Very safe. And the people are amazingly friendly. The Appalachian Trail is just a couple minutes away... my wife and i hiked it a ton... as is "Hawk Mountain" (google it). Not to mention, the area is full of wonderful mom & pop owned restaurants. Don't look for many chain restaurants... they can't compete. It's certainly a small town feel with all the charm. Reading is about a 30-minute drive but it's a pretty easy drive (Rt 60 is a straight shot). You shouldn't have any problem finding a home in that price range, but there typically aren't a lot of homes for sale in Orwigsburg. Hope this helps.

Last edited by gray52; 12-30-2009 at 10:24 PM..

Old 12-31-2009, 11:44 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
bufurdtjustice wrote:
Relocating from Montana to Reading, PA
If you do this, not only will you experience culture shock, but you are also likely to experience a B-I-G disappointment!

Old 01-04-2010, 11:28 AM

CosmicWizard,
LOL! I like your answer!

Old 01-04-2010, 11:31 AM

This is great feedback everyone! I'm researching all the suggestions you have provided for me. If anyone else has more to add, please feel free to do so. Thank you!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:24 AM

6,792 posts, read 9,340,858 times
I've been to Billings and I grew up in Schuylkill County, so I'm familar with Reading.

I don't know if you will be able to find a home in your price range, but I'll echo the people who suggested places like Bernville or Orwigsburg, and also if you're interested in Schuylkill County, you might want to look at homes with an Auburn address. I have relatives who live basically across Route 61 from Deer Lake (off of Sculps Hill Road), but up in the hills in a log home, and I absolutely love the area. They have an Auburn address but aren't technically "in" Auburn as far as I know...and their house was CHEAP, especially compared to what the same thing would cost here in Colorado.

The one thing that you might enjoy is that everything in this part of PA is GREEN with lots of trees and this particular area is very wooded. Billings is sort of like Denver -- brown prairie that isn't IN the mountains, but close enough that the mountains are visible, so it might not be a terrible change like others have suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania