Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:35 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Really, the "bad" parts of Wesleyville are between Buffalo Road and the tracks, but that's still nowhere near approaching "ghetto" -- every town has its less desirable areas. Wesleyville is as solid working class as you can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 11:39 PM

138 posts, read 809,060 times
I have friends from E. 7th st and i'd say that area is maybe only lower middle class?

In the city of Erie last year there was only 1 murder while theres 100,000 people. I live in ohio and I had 6 murders in my area and I only live on the edge of the ghetto.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:59 PM

55 posts, read 189,933 times
^ that number is entirely false.

Depends on where you are on East 7th. No areas are nice on that street, but some would definitely just be considered lower class (but not dangerous). Other areas on East 7th (like the blocks between Holland/German and Wayne Streets) are filled with drugs and crime. There have been numerous shootings, rapes, robberies, and assaults there over the past couple years. And the murder of a 15 year old involved in an armed robbery there two months ago.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
^ that number is entirely false.

Depends on where you are on East 7th. No areas are nice on that street, but some would definitely just be considered lower class (but not dangerous). Other areas on East 7th (like the blocks between Holland/German and Wayne Streets) are filled with drugs and crime. There have been numerous shootings, rapes, robberies, and assaults there over the past couple years. And the murder of a 15 year old involved in an armed robbery there two months ago.
Yea I know about bealeo and pooh.

I'm talking about 7th and wallace thats where I got friends. And that area is only lower-middle class at that. Theres only 2 gangs in the city and thats 7ward and hood world. So what about that 1 murder 2 nights ago there was a triple shooting on my street so I highly doubt that you know what a true ghetto looks like. Even one murder is bad but Erie is one of the safest cities in america...or atleast PA.

If you go to the FBI website they will tell you the samething about Erie's crime record.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:00 AM

858 posts, read 3,044,294 times
From what I have seen!!! Id say so! The police have a hard time taking control over problems.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:04 PM

55 posts, read 189,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb69 View Post
Yea I know about bealeo and pooh.

I'm talking about 7th and wallace thats where I got friends. And that area is only lower-middle class at that. Theres only 2 gangs in the city and thats 7ward and hood world. So what about that 1 murder 2 nights ago there was a triple shooting on my street so I highly doubt that you know what a true ghetto looks like. Even one murder is bad but Erie is one of the safest cities in america...or atleast PA.

If you go to the FBI website they will tell you the samething about Erie's crime record.
You sound like a high schooler. A triple shooting on your street is not something to be proud of. You know absolutely nothing about me or where I've lived. Considering that I've worked as a probation officer in New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and Queens NYC, I can assure you that I know what a ghetto looks like. I'm not going to get into a back-and-forth about number of murders, whose city is "more ghetto", etc., because that is stupid, immature, and disgusting. I specifically said in an earlier post that overall Erie is a relatively safe city, but it does have a number of areas that could definitely be considered "ghetto" (and "ghetto" does not simply mean the number of murders or number of violent crimes a city or neighborhood has on its books). Erie is an older, blue-collar industrial city that has hit hard times, but seems to be getting better. However, the city's poverty rate is still twice the national average, and that brings many problems involving all types of issues to its troubled neighborhoods. Poverty is what creates ghetto neighborhoods across the nation and throughout the world.

And yes, Erie is the 2nd safest city in PA out of 6 cities (6 that had populations high enough and violent crime rates high enough) eligible for inclusion in a study based on FBI 2007 crime stats; it is followed by Allentown, Reading, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia - all much larger metropolitan areas than Erie.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:55 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,852 times
I lived in Erie all my life up until late 2006 when I moved to Pittsburgh.

"Ghetto" is a broadly used term today. When people use it, they rarely use the word for it's official meaning.

Erie is very behind the times. The city can't seem to get out of a regressive government. Although there have been more shootings and homicides than I can remember this year, it still isn't close to what a town like Youngstown OH sees, which is close in population. I, however, made a prediction that I hope doesn't come true, and that is that Erie would become the next Youngstown. Employment is very limited, and more and more neighborhoods are looking run down as the years go by. I can see a distinct difference in appearance and attitude since I left.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I lived in Erie all my life up until late 2006 when I moved to Pittsburgh.

"Ghetto" is a broadly used term today. When people use it, they rarely use the word for it's official meaning.

Erie is very behind the times. The city can't seem to get out of a regressive government. Although there have been more shootings and homicides than I can remember this year, it still isn't close to what a town like Youngstown OH sees, which is close in population. I, however, made a prediction that I hope doesn't come true, and that is that Erie would become the next Youngstown. Employment is very limited, and more and more neighborhoods are looking run down as the years go by. I can see a distinct difference in appearance and attitude since I left.
Are you crazy??????

Youngstown has only 78,000 people and 35 murders a year while erie only has 1 while erie has 100,000 people.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:24 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb69 View Post
Are you crazy??????

Youngstown has only 78,000 people and 35 murders a year while erie only has 1 while erie has 100,000 people.
I don't know where you are getting your numbers from, Youngstown has had the highest murder rate per capita in the US a number of times throughout the 90's. And pardon me if I'm wrong, but I believe their populations is more like 95K. But look up Youngstown and Gary Indiana, both old steel towns, both boasting the most murders per capita in the US many times through out the 90's and 2K's.

You really need to check your facts on Erie's murders too. I can name you two just within the past couple of months, that I believe were mentioned earlier in this thread.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
You sound like a high schooler. A triple shooting on your street is not something to be proud of. You know absolutely nothing about me or where I've lived. Considering that I've worked as a probation officer in New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and Queens NYC, I can assure you that I know what a ghetto looks like. I'm not going to get into a back-and-forth about number of murders, whose city is "more ghetto", etc., because that is stupid, immature, and disgusting. I specifically said in an earlier post that overall Erie is a relatively safe city, but it does have a number of areas that could definitely be considered "ghetto" (and "ghetto" does not simply mean the number of murders or number of violent crimes a city or neighborhood has on its books). Erie is an older, blue-collar industrial city that has hit hard times, but seems to be getting better. However, the city's poverty rate is still twice the national average, and that brings many problems involving all types of issues to its troubled neighborhoods. Poverty is what creates ghetto neighborhoods across the nation and throughout the world.

And yes, Erie is the 2nd safest city in PA out of 6 cities (6 that had populations high enough and violent crime rates high enough) eligible for inclusion in a study based on FBI 2007 crime stats; it is followed by Allentown, Reading, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia - all much larger metropolitan areas than Erie.
No I only mention the triple shooting because 1 murder in a city as large as erie is really great so I highly doubt theres a problem within the city.
I'm aware of what you said i'm just trying to point out theres no poor area in the city and i'm not trying to "diss" erie thats just real life.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 12-18-2008 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania