Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:02 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,705,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinoG711 View Post
I think these might people the same people on here that I argued with before... I was in another thread where they said shoes hanging on telephone wires meant that you were in a bad area/ghetto... ha ha...

I think the "ha ha" is I recently read an interview with a Sgt in the Las Vegas Police force who actually said that is often a sign of drug activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 07:53 AM

71 posts, read 302,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Or you're in a neighborhood populated by college students.
yeah exactly

Old 12-08-2008, 12:37 PM

55 posts, read 189,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb69 View Post
Wow you won!

I've walked down every single street you have mention that is so called bad and no way is close to being bad as buffalo and philly.

Dude all i'm going to say is a lower-middle class area isn't a poor area.

Theres no ghetto in Erie.

Theres no bad areas on the west side.

Two murders at a club is nothing.

When a city with over a 100k pop. only has 1 murder almost each year that doesn't make it crime filled.

Does Erie have the same mobs and gangs as Buffalo and Philly? NO!!!!

The only thing diffent between Erie and Philly is that Philly has a ghetto and crime.

I win!

No matter what you or I say THERES NO BAD AREA IN ERIE.
Oh, now it's Buffalo and Philly that you're comparing Erie to. What do Buffalo and Philly have to do with this discussion? NOTHING! What's next the South Bronx, Detroit? What's your next ridiculous argument?

And give us all a break with your nonsense. You have not walked down every street. Stop being an idiot, you're embarrassing yourself.

What is your obsession with "lower middle class" anyway? Erie has a 24.5% poverty rate. Do you know what that means? For one thing it does not mean "lower middle class". There is no "middle" in that description.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Does Erie have the same mobs and gangs as Buffalo and Philly? NO!!!!
Of course not. Buffalo and Philadelphia (especially Philadelphia) are much larger cities than Erie. They are on a vastly larger scale.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:

The only thing diffent between Erie and Philly is that Philly has a ghetto and crime.

Right.....

That is the only "diffent" thing between Erie and Philadelphia. That's it, other than that, they are exact mirror images of each other. Except for that little fact that Philadelphia has only about, oh say, 1.3 million more people than Erie!

You, mrb69, are a fool.

Last edited by pj3000; 12-08-2008 at 01:18 PM..

Old 12-08-2008, 12:50 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
What are we arguing about again? I'm confused ...

Old 12-08-2008, 01:17 PM

^ Who even knows anymore? mrb69 started it off by asking if Erie was "ghetto". Most reasonable people on here feel that it has its ghetto areas, but overall Erie is a relatively safe city, even though much of the city proper is rundown. As I said in the very beginning, it depends on what one's definition of "ghetto" is. Then mrb69 started talking about how many murders, then what the income levels are, then tried to compare Erie to Youngstown or somewhere else in Ohio that mrb69 feels is more "ghetto", then what the abandoned houses in a ghetto are supposed to look like, then it was comparison of Erie with Buffalo and Philly...

It just keeps getting more ridiculous.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:31 PM

71 posts, read 302,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
^ Most reasonable people on here feel that it has its ghetto areas, but overall Erie is a relatively safe city, even though much of the city proper is rundown.
I agree with this statement...

Im sure this will lead to... Erie Rundown!!!?? What??? you should see Compton and Detroit... then we can start the whole, whose city is more rundown argument... J/K

Old 12-12-2008, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,382 times
Interestingly enough, pj300, I used to live in the house that was the 2nd photo you posted.

As far as the safety of Erie goes, overall I think it's relatively safe, but there are many areas (Little Italy, 1900-2500 blocks between Holland and Ash) where there are definitely crime problems.

Although its been cleaned up in recent years, the old Franklin Terrace housing project used to be a very dangerous place to be. Not so much anymore since they fenced it off.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:06 PM

54 posts, read 148,158 times
I grew up, nay LIVED, in the heart of East side Erie , my father has owned his own business most of my life and I went to McKinley Elementary, Wilson Middle School and Central High School.

I have been to real ghetto's. Erie has poor neighborhoods, but knowing my city well enough, I can say that the poverty level of 24% is roughly the same as the cities poor area being 24% of the city.

Meaning unlike other cities our size and AGE, Erie is cleaner and more prosperous than them.

Erie's population grew almost 1% in the last 7 yrs...which is way more than other comparable cities, like Allentown, Youngstown, Albany, Syracuse.

Our welfare recipients make more money than the Average Pennsylvanian.

I know some people who get close to 60,000 a year because they got 5 kids and they all have ADHD.

No joke.

But anyways, 75 to 79 % of the city is decent to AFFLUENT!

You all need to also recognize that the CENSUS WAS RIGGED IN ERIE!!!!!!

the 2000 census was horribly under counted.

Instead of the Official 103,717 they have for us...it's more like 140,000.

Once Erie and Millcreek merge only 9 percent of the city will be impoverished, nice huh?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania