Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite mid-sized PA city skyline?
Scranton 12 9.60%
Wilkes-Barre 15 12.00%
Harrisburg 56 44.80%
Allentown 10 8.00%
Bethlehem 8 6.40%
Reading 16 12.80%
York 3 2.40%
Lancaster 5 4.00%
Johnstown 8 6.40%
Altoona 4 3.20%
Erie 29 23.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:08 AM

11 posts, read 26,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianSensor View Post
It is the Flagship of the U.S. tall war ships from 1812 , the Brig. Niagara. It makes tours around the Eastern seaboard just about every year, but it's home...as was the fleet for that war, is here in Erie.

Had Erie not been here to house, build the fleet, with our natural harbor Presque Isle Bay, the War of 1812 would have been drastically different!
jeez at least get it right!

it's the US Brig Niagara, Perry's warship from the battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812. sometimes its called the Flagship of Pennsylvania.

the US govt built the US naval fleet in Erie in the early 1800s - that's the reason the town started to become populated. it s a maritime town at heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This is one area where Erie stands out refreshingly from the rest of similar-sized cities in the state -- it's not all cramped and claustrophobic.
BOO! dumb comment

Old 02-24-2009, 08:24 AM

42,007 posts, read 75,401,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livermore View Post
BOO! dumb comment
And yours is nonsensical. So perhaps you'd like to wax a little more intelligently upon why an opinion about one's preference for urban density is so dumb?

Old 02-24-2009, 08:26 AM

[quote=danwxman;7604421]
Quote:

Why live in the eastern cities? Better economy and proximity to the largest metropolitan areas in the U.S. 'Nuff said really.

And, you certainly can have boats on the Susquehanna. Tons of people do. There are several boating docks on City Island and the "Pride of the Susquehanna Riverboat" which gives tours. I am not going to get into silly city versus city stuff here, I have nothing against Erie. Just think people need to chill with the Erie worship here.
Proximity to the largest metro areas in the US? So what? Youre still not actaully living in NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, DC when youre living in Harrsiburg, Allentown,etc. Thats a cop out. Better economy is relative and not a distinct character quality about a city, imo.

yeah, you can have little mini speedboats and crap like that. but its very unnavigable for a lot of its length. having a boat on a river sucks compared to the ocean or lake anyway. its muddy as hell

i know that people should chill on the erie worship tho. i like it, but i know it has its flaws. i agree bout the surface lots and need for density downtown. that guardiansensor guy sounds like an annoying tourism promotion worker that doesnt have his fact straight

Old 02-24-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And yours is nonsensical. So perhaps you'd like to wax a little more intelligently upon why an opinion about one's preference for urban density is so dumb?
cause urban areas are supposed to be dense! not empty! ugly surface parking lots are all around downtown Erie and so many big old buidlingz torn down for lots and drivethru banks and crap. density makes a city so much better looking and for pedestrians and stores and tourism etc etc etc

Old 02-24-2009, 08:33 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,627,917 times
[quote=Livermore;7604834]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post

Proximity to the largest metro areas in the US? So what? Youre still not actaully living in NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, DC when youre living in Harrsiburg, Allentown,etc. Thats a cop out. Better economy is relative and not a distinct character quality about a city, imo.

yeah, you can have little mini speedboats and crap like that. but its very unnavigable for a lot of its length. having a boat on a river sucks compared to the ocean or lake anyway. its muddy as hell

i know that people should chill on the erie worship tho. i like it, but i know it has its flaws. i agree bout the surface lots and need for density downtown. that guardiansensor guy sounds like an annoying tourism promotion worker that doesnt have his fact straight
It's not a cop out at all. It is a major reason for relocation to this area and is pretty much touted by every real estate professional, so obviously it means something. This weekend I got on Amtrak's high speed Keystone line and was in Philly in an hour and a half. Spent the whole weekend in center city. In a little more then an hour I can be in Baltimore and 2 1/2 to DC. Far enough away not to be hit with high housing prices, but close enough for day trips.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:37 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,627,917 times
Quote:
cause urban areas are supposed to be dense! not empty! ugly surface parking lots are all around downtown Erie and so many big old buidlingz torn down for lots and drivethru banks and crap. density makes a city so much better looking and for pedestrians and stores and tourism etc etc etc
Exactly. Cities the size of Erie are supposed to be dense.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:05 AM

[quote=danwxman;7604921]
Quote:

It's not a cop out at all. It is a major reason for relocation to this area and is pretty much touted by every real estate professional, so obviously it means something. This weekend I got on Amtrak's high speed Keystone line and was in Philly in an hour and a half. Spent the whole weekend in center city. In a little more then an hour I can be in Baltimore and 2 1/2 to DC. Far enough away not to be hit with high housing prices, but close enough for day trips.
yeah, i understand. its nice to have that option. but still not a reason to live somewhere, imo... just because you can get to OTHER places in a couple hours.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:56 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,285,805 times
[quote=Livermore;7605367]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post

yeah, i understand. its nice to have that option. but still not a reason to live somewhere, imo... just because you can get to OTHER places in a couple hours.
Low taxes, good jobs, cheap living, natural beauty, LOW CRIME- these are things that would make me want to move somewhere.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:19 AM

didnt know that PA towns were hotbeds for good jobs. i must be reading the wrong newspapers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania