Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 01:13 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times

Advertisements

Government jobs......good luck with relying on those down in Maryland and Virginia in a few weeks. It also doesn't get much more Appalachia in PA than Greene or Fayette Counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 02:49 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA/MDGuy View Post
Western Md has I68 way nicer than any Pa highway...
That's because it's newer than any Interstate in Pennsylvania except for the segment of I-99 near State College.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
yes, PA is all coal country greene county jobless, toothless, and sarcastic, you got it. thank god you moved, otherwise anywhere you lived in PA you would have ended up on welfare as you imply.
Yeah, Greene and Fayette Counties have arguably the worst quality of life in Pennsylvania, so it makes no sense to judge the entire Commonwealth by them.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:27 PM

17 posts, read 27,828 times
Default Not pro Govt jobs.

Yes, my post was long, it didn't look long on my pc, it does on my phone. I do find it odd that the lengthy post above it went unanswered since May, while mine being a paragraph longer drew immediate attention. Why was that I wonder? Because it was negative. I may point out that I took great care to repeat that I was not talking about the whole state. I even said I liked Pitt and Philly. I find that many are weak in reading comprehension.I also was not the one who originated the question. I was just lending my opinion. I am a hard working guy, not a Govt worker. I was quoting what a friend said in the mid 80's.I totally agree with that assessment. I do however don't put much faith in statistics of crime and other thing, since one can usually find any statistic to back up ones opinion. There is crime in rural areas as well as urban.Western ,MD has the tourism of Deep Creek, homes and property in Deep Creek are pricey, far from recessed. My point was I would rather live in a good economy and drive to my recreation than live there and drive to the good economy. The large majority of the pro Pa posts are about the scenery.My point was its true, but how far up on your list is that.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:16 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
I've noticed that a lot of people from the more depressed parts of PA tend to extrapolate that to the entire state. "X County sucks therefore PA sucks and I need to leave."

They don't take into account that there are several large, highly populated, relatively prosperous regions within the state - Philly, Pitt, Lehigh Valley, South Central (Harrisburg, Lancaster, etc) and also a fair number of good smaller areas (State College, Poconos, numerous good small towns all over).

I haven't noticed this trend as much in other states, but I could be wrong on that.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:52 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
]Western ,MD has the tourism of Deep Creek, homes and property in Deep Creek are pricey, far from recessed. My point was I would rather live in a good economy and drive to my recreation than live there and drive to the good economy. The large majority of the pro Pa posts are about the scenery.My point was its true, but how far up on your list is that.
I'll admit I didn't make it all the way through your post, though I'm sure you'd prefer to think I simply can't comprehend your articulate thoughts. a cursory look at cumberland md says it's not particularly expensive. nice looking homes for $70k. PA is a much larger state and far more diverse..places like bedford springs might be enough to keep western md afloat but western pa needs much more than that. PA includes incredibly depressed places and thriving places. wealthy and poor, rolling hills and mountains, a great lake, and a northeastern metropolitan area. most people live in a large metro area and drive to recreation.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:36 PM

17 posts, read 27,828 times
No pman, I think you seem to be an educated native. I will also remind you that im familiar with most of PA take the NE part. I have driven across the state many times, as well as from straight up North by way of 79 or 81. I have family and friends all over PA. I think that a cheap house in Cumberland is still an expensive one in say nemicolon,PA. I'm not sure that Its rational to conclude that because there are a few successful areas economically that the whole state is either, but some elude to that as well. My coworker just showed me stats that Philly ranks 9th in the poorest city in the US with 25% below the poverty level. No Md city listed on the whole list. I think people should live wherever they want. I'm glad your happy, I know I am.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 PM

429 posts, read 654,317 times
Inner city Baltimore? Cumberland?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:40 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
Quote:
No pman, I think you seem to be an educated native. I will also remind you that im familiar with most of PA take the NE part. I have driven across the state many times, as well as from straight up North by way of 79 or 81. I have family and friends all over PA. I think that a cheap house in Cumberland is still an expensive one in say nemicolon,PA. I'm not sure that Its rational to conclude that because there are a few successful areas economically that the whole state is either, but some elude to that as well. My coworker just showed me stats that Philly ranks 9th in the poorest city in the US with 25% below the poverty level. No Md city listed on the whole list. I think people should live wherever they want. I'm glad your happy, I know I am.
The City of Philadelphia has poverty issues. The Philadelphia region, as a whole, is prosperous.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeneryGreg View Post
everytime I walk up a hill I get depressed.
Every time I see a post from you I don't think they could get dumber but they do. Either you're one of those who just like to complain for attention or you're too dumb to figure out to MOVE if you have so many issues with where you live.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:46 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,645 times
I know both Greene and Fayette county well as I had also lived there when I was younger. Although I do not care much for the area, it seriously isn't bad unless you go into Western Greene county where there really is nothing. Both have a lot to gain from natural gas drilling.
Moving on, should we say Detroit is depressing, therefore Michigan sucks, or Oakland sucks, therefore CA sucks, or Cumberland is filthy, therefore MD sucks, I can go on and on. PA is one of the better states that, unlike Maryland, does not rely heavily on the Federal government to provide employment. Bringing up the subject of Nemacolin, it was a mining town and when the mines closed down, a few 'slumlords' bought up much of the housing at tax write offs, and a lot of people from WV moved there due to the fact that PA has better welfare. The area has also been a product of corrupt politics (the longtime representative of the area Bill DeWeese is not in prison for corruption), and for one reason or another there is not much meaningful employment in the area other than schools along with restaurants and grocery stores. I just described many post-industrial sections of the US, there are areas such as Youngstown and Flint that look like Nemacolin on Steroids. Also, although living in the Pittsburgh metro is likely going to be more expensive than living in rural western Greene county, it is not impossible to find housing while working in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania