Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 04:21 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,701,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I disagree with the word "brutal".
Me too; if you think Pittsburgh weather is "brutal" you need to travel a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 07:16 AM

35 posts, read 49,682 times
I feel parts of Pennsylvania can be depressing. It depends where you are and who you are of course. I'll talk about where I live.

I think life in the northern tier of Pennsylvania is tough. I live in Susquehanna county. It's better off than some of the counties to the west because Binghamton and Scranton are within commute. But the commute becomes expensive. The winters are harsh compared to much of PA. The biggest problem is that most local jobs go to family members or friends so it's tough if you don't know a lot of people. My father has been unemployed for years. As for myself, I got a college degree and moved back home to try to earn some money...haven't been able to find work.

I don't want to make the northern tier sound bad, it's really not. Lots of game, hiking, and beautiful small towns. But for me personally it just isn't working out. Need a good job and more young-person things to do. I plan to move as soon as I can.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,167 times
I lived in PA for 48 years, in Beaver County. I like the people and go back to visit when I can but I have no desire to live there again. Got tired of being sick all winter, poor job market, and a general mentality that resisted any type of change. I live in Arizona now and there are the 4 hot summer months to deal with but the other 8 months are great. Much more to do here and you can do it all year round. If you miss the snow ( which I never have ) just drive 2.5 hours north to Flagstaff, they got over 10 feet this year. A lot of people in PA say they would not want to live any where else. I said that too until I tried living somewhere else.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:55 PM

18 posts, read 46,853 times
ahhh.... its spring. in Adams County PA in the 70's today, sun is shining, the birds are chirping, the trees are blooming their flowers, and yes- THE LAWN MOWERS ARE MOWIN !!! Right now, the weather is REALLY nice, down town streets- there is just a strip of blossoming trees- and Gettysburg right now, beats NYC :P Sunsets over the appalachians are breathtaking. Idk why, but many people say that PA springs and falls are short. But im like huh??? Spring started here around March 10. Well before spring officially started. Sure we had those 2 big snow storms (which is RARE) but Spring came in wonderfully But what i REALLY enjoy about PA, is that it never gets too Hot here. I mean- who really needs hot days exceeding 90 degrees-(where it is down south D ??? arent 70's and lowish 80's just perfect?! And that is all through (April is iffy), May, June, July, August, and September. But it never gets really hot here! And the falls, their just great. (PA and Vermont tops them all- and In the ridge and valley regions of the state, in fall~ its like dipping into a bowl of Trix cereal! because you overlook the top, and there is a big valley bustling with color! And Fall is here in October, November, and December (many say that fall starts here in September, but idk what they are talking about lol) (but remember, im in Adams county, so it may be different in other parts of the state) and Winter, most of the days were sunny- except those 2 big snow storms. And mostly in the 30's and low 40's. Because it was snowing in 30 degree weather, not like 10 degrees x_x. Winter doesnt normally start until December (NOT November) which I think is pretty good of a bargain!) I mean, a few storms arent that much of a deal. And have any of you ever been in the woods when it's snowing??? That beats loud crowded day at the beach anyday. But GA to me is always hot. But some people may like it.

P.S. last winter, Northern VA got hit REALLY hard in snow, and its funny because i know lots of people that had winter homes down there from NY, Upstate PA, and other northern areas; haha, i bet they werent expecting those storms! xD

But I think (SouthWestern) Southcentral PA and counties southward in MD have THE best seasons in the country. ESPECIALLY RIGHT NOW!!!!

Old 04-05-2010, 06:30 PM

18 posts, read 46,853 times
Oh, forgot~~~ Is PA depressing???

No. but (to some) yes, But it depends 100% where you are.
Many people arent aware of this, but PA is a very diverse state, from Philly to Erie, from Pittsburgh to Scranton, from State college to Lancaster From Harrisburg to ( i think you get the point). But travel the WHOLE state ~~especially Gettysburg ~~ people and jobs DIFFER greatly! Some say Phillies are rudish- then so be it. Central PA people are especcially kind. And what i mean by kind, they arent rude, they of course hold public doors open for you, they dont treat you meanly, they treat people with respect. They're not all, "OH HUNNY! IM SO GLAD YOU CAME TO MY SHOP TODAY! IM SO THRILLED AND I LOVE YOU SO MUCH <3" no, we're not like that. In my opinion, regular people; traveling to other parts of the country, people always have mean looks on thier faces and further south and out east, people are full of themselves (Jersey), yes, not EVERYONE is like that, its just that the majority of the people in centralish PA are just well-behaved, and compassionate people. it's more balanced. (I never really have done anything in the West except drive through it so i cant say much.

But the state varies greatly, so get to know it more of whatm place suites you more for some it may be depressing, and others the most inspiring place in the world!! But PA has LOTS to offer, jobs, natural scenery, etc. so tour it, get to know it. and i am 100% positive you will find some special place that IS inspiring

Old 04-08-2010, 10:28 AM

13 posts, read 297,039 times
More signs of depressing matters in PA...bad roads.

7 Worst Roads in America on Shine

Old 04-12-2010, 04:34 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
PA is NOT depressing. It has its goods and bads just like any other state. If you want to find the negatives... you will. But if you look for the positives, you will find them.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,928 times
Any place can be depressing..even the middle of disney world depending on your mind set or what might be going on in your life at any particular moment.

Make your own happiness

Old 04-14-2010, 05:59 PM

69 posts, read 225,624 times
Yep.I could still enjoy life there though.....now If i had to move to a place like Norway or Iceland, I might consider suicide.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:51 PM

12 posts, read 29,308 times
Scranton, PA is economically and mentally depressing. No matter which way anyone tries to rationalize, create or imagine how great Scranton is, they either have never really lived or traveled anywhere else (or have in a limited fashion) or they are simply fooling themselves, in my humble opinion. The people who tout how great Scranton is please give good reasons, and I don't mean the 4 seasons, the waterparks, the libraries (come on), the cultural aspects (coal mining etc.) and the abundent list of lame examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania