Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 08:06 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,735,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Trouble in Paradise:

The Side Pittsburgh Doesn't Want You to See | CityLab

And guess what ethnic group gets the shaft?
Blackbeauty would have you believe Pittsburgh is more diverse and integrated than Philadelphia however hahaha....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 08:24 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,261,597 times
I do not know why someone keeps putting down Pittsburgh and its downtown ..... bringing in other sunbelt cities to lessen Pittsburgh in post after post? Then though in a few buts .... I like Pittsburgh and it has promise.

Why prop up sunbelt cities to lessen Pittsburgh and its downtown? Mock its size. God forbid a Philly comment of less get made.

Pittsburgh is still 3+times smaller then Philly. Nashville has its fame as the "Music City" and Capital Country Music Capital. New Orleans ..... a resort "Party Capital" in its French Quarter. San Antonio is a College town that is booming in Millennial's as it's the sunbelt too. Austin is the "Capital City" of Texas and again ..... Millennial heaven.

Too much of this demeaning of Pittsburgh IMO. It's a rust-belt city still finding its new future and a downtown still HITS more then its size has one expect. Sure it lacks shopping sadly. It still impressed me and much promise.

But leave sunbelt cities out and realize the size difference with Philly. Seems no complement in a link or listing with bigger cities in best choices ...... is going to stand. It's as if a insult if Pittsburgh rates higher in anything then Philly.

Every time I check the thread its something Pittsburgh is inferior to ..... just overkill mostly.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:26 PM

14,314 posts, read 9,193,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
I'm aware of what used to be there, but that's in the past... can't include it now. At the same time Pittsburgh had Saks, L&T and Macy's, Center City did have Macy's, Boyd's and Daffy's. Of course, the latter two were Philadelphia only institutions.

Now, Center City has Macy's, Barney's, Boyd's, Nordstrom Rack and Century 21. Primark and Bloomingdale's are (apparently) on the way.

These two have taken completely different trajectories for Downtown retail. Center City now offers a wide variety of retailers that aren't even available in the Pittsburgh region. No Suit Supply? I wouldn't survive lol. That's my favorite store. No Soul Cycle? No Indochino, Intermix, Stuart Weitzman, Rag & Bone, Cole Haan, Barney's, Allen Edmonds, Zara, etc. etc.

That's not even including King of Prussia Mall! Which in itself also has a ton of stores which are the only location in PA.

PS - Center City has a lot of great local specialty stores too like Boyd's, ToBox, Blue Sole Shoes, Skirt, Shop Sixty Five, etc. etc.
Oops!

Like Century 21 now, Daffy's was a New York import.

I know of no plans for an actual Bloomingdale's store, or any department store in that class, in Center City. We already have outlets for both Bloomie's and Nordstrom. (On the long-running "Philadelphia 2035" thread, I occasionally take issue with the crowd I call the "Nordstrom fetishists" for their seeming belief that Center City should have only high-end retail.)

KofP, while unique in Pennsylvania (and the nation: only the Mall of America outside Minneapolis is larger, and when you remove the latter's indoor amusement park, KofP has more selling space), doesn't count for purposes of this discussion.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:26 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,915,765 times
Quote:
Blackbeauty would have you believe Pittsburgh is more diverse and integrated than Philadelphia however hahaha....
I've said back up thread that Philadelphia was the more diverse city. However Pittsburgh attracts more HIGHLY SKILLED Diverse immigrants which is what Amazon is looking for.

Not only are you a booster but also a very big liar ..... I said Philadelphia was more segregated which it is .... Segregated and Diversity are NOT one in the same .... a city can be extremely diverse and extremely segregated in the same space ... Philly is RIGHT UP AT THE TOP! Pittsburgh doesn't even crack the top 10

And you've never been in Pittsburgh, another lie. I have doubts you've even been west of i-81 in the state of Pennsylvania.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 10-19-2017 at 08:39 PM..

Old 10-19-2017, 08:31 PM

14,314 posts, read 9,193,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I do not know why someone keeps putting down Pittsburgh and its downtown ..... bringing in other sunbelt cities to lessen Pittsburgh in post after post? Then though in a few buts .... I like Pittsburgh and it has promise.

Why prop up sunbelt cities to lessen Pittsburgh and its downtown? Mock its size. God forbid a Philly comment of less get made.

Pittsburgh is still 3+times smaller then Philly. Nashville has its fame as the "Music City" and Capital Country Music Capital. New Orleans ..... a resort "Party Capital" in its French Quarter. San Antonio is a College town that is booming in Millennial's as it's the sunbelt too. Austin is the "Capital City" of Texas and again ..... Millennial heaven.

Too much of this demeaning of Pittsburgh IMO. It's a rust-belt city still finding its new future and a downtown still HITS more then its size has one expect. Sure it lacks shopping sadly. It still impressed me and much promise.

But leave sunbelt cities out and realize the size difference with Philly. Seems no complement in a link or listing with bigger cities in best choices ...... is going to stand. It's as if a insult if Pittsburgh rates higher in anything then Philly.

Every time I check the thread its something Pittsburgh is inferior to ..... just overkill mostly.
I think some of this is overreaction to Blackbeauty212's constant downing of Philadelphia.

Maybe even much of this.

But: San Antonio a "college town"? News to me. Austin not only houses Texas' state government but its flagship state university. The other well-known Texas universities are in Dallas, Houston, Waco, College Station and El Paso, but I know of no well-known college or university in San Antonio. That doesn't mean there are no colleges there at all, but from what I can tell, "college town" is an inaccurate description of SA's reputation.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:37 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,915,765 times
Quote:
I think some of this is overreaction to Blackbeauty212's constant downing of Philadelphia.
My downing is a result direct result of ROW and others OVERZEALOUS PHILADELPHIA BOOSTING..... When one stops the other will follow .... otherwise someone has to keep you guys honest with all this Philadelphia Boosting that goes in this thread.

I don't even mind that he boosts Philadelphia Non-Stop, like a desperate insecure sycophant. It's that he constantly must tear down Pittsburgh to make Philly seem like that much more of city... And he will even go as far as flat out lying, like I proved above about segregation vs diversity.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:59 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,261,597 times
Quote:

Maybe even much of this.

But: San Antonio a "college town"? News to me. Austin not only houses Texas' state government but its flagship state university. The other well-known Texas universities are in Dallas, Houston, Waco, College Station and El Paso, but I know of no well-known college or university in San Antonio. That doesn't mean there are no colleges there at all, but from what I can tell, "college town" is an inaccurate description of SA's reputation.
Living a College Town Lifestyle in San Antonio, Texas
https://bestplacesinusa.com/college_...n_Antonio.html

-the fast growing city of San Antonio hosts over 100,000 students in 31 higher education facilities, including branches of Texas A&M and the University of Texas, a city of over 1.3 million

But not greater then Austin. Point was THESE CITIES TO LESSEN Pittsburgh which is ridicules. At least my points for Nashville. NOLA and Austin stands.

But you can't blame BB sorry for what these guys post. They go after - speagles - and the few Pittsburgh posters in the thread's history too the same way. Philly again is 3+ times bigger and another tier then the Burgh ..... and sunbelt cities are irrelevant anyway.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:52 AM

7,743 posts, read 5,548,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I've said back up thread that Philadelphia was the more diverse city. However Pittsburgh attracts more HIGHLY SKILLED Diverse immigrants which is what Amazon is looking for.

Not only are you a booster but also a very big liar.
This thread makes my head hurt. It’s pathetic.

Please provide us one link that is backed by a report that statistically shows Pittsburgh gets “more HIGHLY SKILLED diverse immigrants”

I can easily find you something.. I am confident that not only is the city much more diverse overall than Pittsburgh, it contains more highly skilled immigrants.

Philly Area Firms rank top 3 in the U.S. for skilled foreign labor requests

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 10-20-2017 at 05:28 AM..

Old 10-20-2017, 05:19 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,934,186 times
Quote:
I'm well aware of the "Cultural District" in Downtown Pittsburgh. It's got potential for sure, but if you think this compares to the options offered in Austin, Nashville or New Orleans... come on man. It's not even close.

I'm in Pittsburgh every other year with my dad and sister - who are Steelers fans PS.
Lol, No you clearly are not. And did not read my post. You are just wrong, and you won't admit it. No use in arguing further. If you actually want to learn something about an area you don't know anything about, read my previous post or any of the countless others attacking YOUR homerism, not mine.

Quote:
I'm aware of Point State Park. It's nice but my biggest problem with it is it feels so disconnected from Downtown because of 279. There are really not many park options in Downtown Pittsburgh.
Interstate 279 starts on the Fort Duquesne bridge.
Yup, it's so disconnected by one street, can't stand it.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Un...e795d19caf8354

You are so ridiculous with every statement in this reply post.

Quote:
JoS. A Bank? Come on man. Please don't buy a suit there lol. Burlington? Brooks Brothers? This just confirms what I said. There is very little shopping (aka virtually no shopping) in Downtown Pittsburgh.
Lol I show you that there are shopping options downtown and this is your response? Wow, never claimed it was Manhattan but YOU said there's no shopping in downtown Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Fortune 500 companies have nothing to do with anything. That will ensure the area stays a 9-5 business district. Downtown Pittsburgh needs more residences and hotel rooms to create a 24-hour demand for restaurants, bars, shops, etc. if it wants to be taken seriously.
LOL oh my god. My first post showed downtown Pittsburgh QUADRUPLED it's population in 7 years! It does have 24 hour places! You don't know our city ADMIT It!

Quote:
In no way is it a top 10 Downtown.... that's where my beef was with your initial statement. It's not even top 15, and maybe not even top 20 currently.
Manhattan, Chicago, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Boston, DC, Brooklyn, LA, Seattle, Miami, San Diego, Austin, Denver, Nashville, Detroit, Portland, Baltimore, New Orleans, Atlanta, Minneapolis... all AT LEAST have a better Downtown currently.
Austin, no. Nashville, no. New Orleans, no. Detroit, no.

Quote:
Pittsburgh's strongest suits are in other neighborhoods.... Southside, Northside, Oakland, Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, East Liberty, etc.... NOT Downtown.
Lol, you don't know Pittsburgh. You missed 2 MAJOR out of the top 5. Come visit, and I'll show you around sometime. You'll learn more than a tour on Google maps.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:22 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,934,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
And you've never been in Pittsburgh, another lie. I have doubts you've even been west of i-81 in the state of Pennsylvania.
I think after his last post, I agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania