Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2017, 10:28 AM

9,388 posts, read 9,370,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimshady123 View Post
As somebody who is from Philadelphia and has lived in the city as well as the suburbs and now has been going to school in Pittsburgh for 3 years and my major is urban studies so this whole topic of city vs city is very interesting to me. And before I **** anyone off I am going to say I really like both cities and hope for them to continue to prosper.

Honestly I think the two cities are on completely different scales. Philadelphia is so much larger and an integral part of the Northeast Corridor. The city is growing extremely fast with newer residents choosing to move into the city along with immigrants coming from across the globe. The city of Pittsburgh is also seeing growth for the first time since the collapse of the steel industry. The economy has made a complete transformation which is astounding and unprecedented for similar cities (Look at Cleveland, Toledo, Detroit, etc. to name a few). Much of this has been through technology and from the support of CMU and Pitt which I attend. This is where things get murky, people constantly mention how good these two universities are and how unique it is for Pittsburgh to have 2 top universities. Philadelphia has even more and on the innovation scale (Can't find the link) Penn ranks higher than CMU.

There is such a big cultural divide between the east and west side of the state. From Steelers/Penguins to Eagles/Flyers (If you don't see that as significant you aren't form PA) to Youse vs Yinz to fast paced urban environment such as Philly to Pittsburgh more slow relaxed pace. The difference in food is astounding, Wawa vs Sheetz. Diversity in Pittsburgh is really lacking and the city seems much more segregated than Philadelphia, outside of the neighborhoods near Pitt and CMU most of Pittsburgh is either a white neighborhood or a black neighborhood. There isn't even a Chinatown in Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to with the terrain (though i will always complain walking up those hills) the views from Mt Washington and other hills are unbeatable. The only place that can compare is Belmont plateau in Philly but they really are on different levels.

Downtown Pittsburgh dies after 6pm and Center City is alive for almost every single hour of the day. I frequently take the overnight bus from Pittsburgh to Philly. When I leave Pittsburgh at 1030 pm the streets are eerily quieter than when I pull into center city at 4:30 am. It will be even more vibrant when the Market East and Gallery projects are done. Speaking of one way to easily tell how the city has changed is to look at the skyline, countless skyscrapers have gone up in the past 5 years and only one notable one if Pittsburgh (an amazing one that is). Outside of Pittsburgh the small towns are dying, no town along the Mon before Pittsburgh is seeing any growth and some of those towns are extremely dangerous. Outside of Camden, Chester, and Trenton(barely) nowhere in the Philadelphia region is seeing the continued decline of small cities outside of Pittsburgh.

Personally I think that Philadelphia is much better suited for Amazon because of the Schuylkill Yards being right at the center of a transit hubs with Countless Busses, 5 trolleys, 1 subway, and 13 regional rail lines and next to Penn and Drexel and a short subway ride from Temple. Even the Lower Hill which has the 61s 71s and 83 run through it the transit infrastructure is not there. Fifth Ave is already traffic clogged. However I will be happy if it goes to either city as they are both centers of technology and innovation. Overall Pennsylvania is making a huge comeback especially Philadelphia and Pittsburgh and instead of trying to tear the other cities down because they like theirs better we should stick together to fight the anti-urban policies that many outside are cities are pushing in Harrisburg. As you may have been able to tell I like Philadelphia better I want with all my heart for Pittsburgh to succeed.
Thank you for that excellent post. And the last part pretty much sums up a lot of peoples views on here. Pennsylvania would benefit either way, and I agree Philadelphia and Pittsburgh (and their metros) are thrown to the side by the rest of the state, when in reality, PA would go down the toilet without the 2 metro areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 10:55 AM

8,701 posts, read 14,718,678 times
Quote:
Downtown Pittsburgh dies after 6pm and Center City is alive for almost every single hour of the day. I frequently take the overnight bus from Pittsburgh to Philly. When I leave Pittsburgh at 1030 pm the streets are eerily quieter than when I pull into center city at 4:30 am. It will be even more vibrant when the Market East and Gallery projects are done. Speaking of one way to easily tell how the city has changed is to look at the skyline, countless skyscrapers have gone up in the past 5 years and only one notable one if Pittsburgh (an amazing one that is). Outside of Pittsburgh the small towns are dying, no town along the Mon before Pittsburgh is seeing any growth and some of those towns are extremely dangerous. Outside of Camden, Chester, and Trenton(barely) nowhere in the Philadelphia region is seeing the continued decline of small cities outside of Pittsburgh.
This is very true.

Pittsburgh is a slow growth/stagnant city in a dying region.
Philadelphia is a moderate growth city in a growing region.

I would say though, that Camden is 100% growing again. All that is going on in Downtown, The Waterfront, around Cooper Hospital, around Campbell's Soup Campus/Knight's Crossing... the city is on fire.

Trenton is technically NYC CSA, not Philadelphia MSA/CSA. Although, I do agree it's more intertwined with the Philadelphia Region.

Chester just sucks. This probably the most comparable town/city to the ones you find surrounding Pittsburgh.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:34 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,166,938 times
Lol, Downtown Pittsburgh is not dead at 6 PM anymore....

Old 10-17-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Lol, Downtown Pittsburgh is not dead at 6 PM anymore....
No, but comparatively to Philadelphia, yes.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:08 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,906,358 times
Philadelphia is a "Downtown City" Pittsburgh is a "Neighborhood city" ....

Philly has the better downtown, Pittsburgh has the better neighborhoods.

Give me Shadyside, Oakland, East Liberty, The Strip, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, South Side, Squirrel Hill, Mt Washington, Central Northside. Over any non-Center City neighborhood ANY DAY OF THE F***ING WEEK!

Quote:
As somebody who is from Philadelphia and has lived in the city as well as the suburbs and now has been going to school in Pittsburgh for 3 years and my major is urban studies so this whole topic of city vs city is very interesting to me. And before I **** anyone off I am going to say I really like both cities and hope for them to continue to prosper.

Honestly I think the two cities are on completely different scales. Philadelphia is so much larger and an integral part of the Northeast Corridor. The city is growing extremely fast with newer residents choosing to move into the city along with immigrants coming from across the globe. The city of Pittsburgh is also seeing growth for the first time since the collapse of the steel industry. The economy has made a complete transformation which is astounding and unprecedented for similar cities (Look at Cleveland, Toledo, Detroit, etc. to name a few). Much of this has been through technology and from the support of CMU and Pitt which I attend. This is where things get murky, people constantly mention how good these two universities are and how unique it is for Pittsburgh to have 2 top universities. Philadelphia has even more and on the innovation scale (Can't find the link) Penn ranks higher than CMU.

There is such a big cultural divide between the east and west side of the state. From Steelers/Penguins to Eagles/Flyers (If you don't see that as significant you aren't form PA) to Youse vs Yinz to fast paced urban environment such as Philly to Pittsburgh more slow relaxed pace. The difference in food is astounding, Wawa vs Sheetz. Diversity in Pittsburgh is really lacking and the city seems much more segregated than Philadelphia, outside of the neighborhoods near Pitt and CMU most of Pittsburgh is either a white neighborhood or a black neighborhood. There isn't even a Chinatown in Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to with the terrain (though i will always complain walking up those hills) the views from Mt Washington and other hills are unbeatable. The only place that can compare is Belmont plateau in Philly but they really are on different levels.

Personally I think that Philadelphia is much better suited for Amazon because of the Schuylkill Yards being right at the center of a transit hubs with Countless Busses, 5 trolleys, 1 subway, and 13 regional rail lines and next to Penn and Drexel and a short subway ride from Temple. Even the Lower Hill which has the 61s 71s and 83 run through it the transit infrastructure is not there. Fifth Ave is already traffic clogged. However I will be happy if it goes to either city as they are both centers of technology and innovation. Overall Pennsylvania is making a huge comeback especially Philadelphia and Pittsburgh and instead of trying to tear the other cities down because they like theirs better we should stick together to fight the anti-urban policies that many outside are cities are pushing in Harrisburg. As you may have been able to tell I like Philadelphia better I want with all my heart for Pittsburgh to succeed.
LOL You just tore down Pittsburgh to BOOSTER Philly..... Practice what you preach BUDDY! Im sorry this is so Philadelphia one-sided and biased its Laughable, and you guys wonder why your given such a hard time about your Boosting.

Philadelphia is AMERICA'S POOREST BIG CITY. Comcast can't save the city from its Poverty problems. The Infrastructure of the Northeast Corridor is nothing to write home about. Its damn near embarrassing, its OLD and FALLING APART. Amtrak is ineffective, and probably won't be around much longer.

City of Pittsburgh does not have the abject poverty problems of Philadelphia. Philadelphia's unemployment is
much higher than the city of Pittsburgh's ...

I'll ride a PAT bus at 1am a not think twice about it... SEPTA subway or bus at 1am I better have my mace with me. In Philly the bums are out of control in Center City. SEPTA goes on Strike ever 5 years like clockwork. I can't remember the last time PAT went on strike. SEPTA while a larger system, both cities are comparable for the share of their populations that use non-car-transportation. I think Philly was 8 while Pittsburgh was 11. Pittsburgh has more robust biking culture than Philly, and we do more walking it seems too

Pittsburgh's T and Buses are used by a wide mix of classes and races where there's no segregation even on the bus.... Outside of Regional Rail, a lot of Philly subways and buses are patronized by mostly broke poor minorities. In Philly whites don't ride past the back doors on any bus route they have to share ghetto folks. I guess its that clutch your pearls effect.

Philadelphia is far and away more segregated than Pittsburgh. Philly is like the 8th most segregated city in the US..... Minorities don't mix to well with whites in Philly. You damn sure wont find a Stanton Heights or Brighton Heights, Lawrenceville in Philly. Walk down Broad street in South Philly, the racial divide is stark you'd think it was some type of turf war between Italians (East of Broad) and Blacks (West).. Anywhere in Philly where it seems whites and minorities live together is either one of two things taking place.. Gentrification (Kensington, West Philly) or White Flight (Northeast) is happening. These are not legacy racially mixed neighborhoods.

Penn doesn't touch CMU for Computer Science, AI or STEM..... CMU/Pitt combo over anything Philadelphia offers by way of what Amazon is looking for in IT Research and Robotics, I guess that's why a handful of its executive team are CMU alums.

See you guys after the results. When you Philly boosters learn how to look at BOTH cities objectively... I'll stop my Philly bashing.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:15 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,906,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
This is very true.

Philly is moderate growing .... You LIE! ... Philly is SLOW GROWING .... Project 3K+ in a city of 1.5 million is NOT Moderate growth. That's only happening because Philadelphia has strong immigration... Not because people are domestically moving to Philly. Pittsburgh had better domestic numbers than Philly does.

Quote:
and compared to Manhattan ... Center City is dead after 10pm ... I mean its not an apple 2 apples comparison.

Compared to other cities of its size Downtown Pittsburgh is damn near thriving. and this is from a Downtown that once purely functioned as a Business Center, because Pittsburgh has such vibrant neighborhoods. Center City Philly was always a neighborhood unto itself along with being a core business center.

But for what Downtown Pittsburgh lacks, its neighborhoods greatly makes up for.... nimshady123 forgot to mention that in their tear down of Pittsburgh and boosting of Philly.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:51 PM

I love the 1998 perception of Philadelphia she has hahaha.

Literally cannot say one good thing about Philadelphia hahaha.

Philadelphia is dead after 10pm?? SEPTA not good public transit despite being one of the best in the country?? Pittsburgh better for walking?? Pittsburgh more diverse and intergrated than Philadelphia?? CMU and Pitt better than anything in Philly? Hahaha oh man. It's just too much. It's almost like it's somebody impersonating somebody who is mentally insane. It just can't be real.

I'll take Northern Liberties, Fishtown, Fairmount, Spring Garden, Spring Arts, Brewerytown, Francisville, Olde Richmond, East Kensington, Olde Kensington, Port Richmond, Templetown, Graduate Hospital, Hawthorne, Bella Vista, Queen Village, Pennsport, Passyunk Square, East Passyunk Crossing, Newbold, University City, Spruce Hill, Powelton Village, Woodland Terrace/Clark Park/Squirrel Hill, Cedar Park, Walnut Hill/Garden Court, Manayunk, Germantown, East Falls, Roxborough, East Mount Airy, West Mount Airy, Chestnut Hill, Mayfair, Fox Chase, etc. etc.

You're right though.... nothing outside of Center City. Nothing I tell you!

Old 10-17-2017, 11:55 PM

32,968 posts, read 36,456,285 times
Quote:

Philadelphia is dead after 10pm?? SEPTA not good public transit despite being one of the best in the country?? Pittsburgh better for walking?? Pittsburgh more diverse and intergrated than Philadelphia?? CMU and Pitt better than anything in Philly? Hahaha oh man. It's just too much. It's almost like it's somebody impersonating somebody who is mentally insane. It just can't be real.

I'll take Northern Liberties, Fishtown, Fairmount, Spring Garden, Spring Arts, Brewerytown, Francisville, Olde Richmond, East Kensington, Olde Kensington, Port Richmond, Templetown, Graduate Hospital, Hawthorne, Bella Vista, Queen Village, Pennsport, Passyunk Square, East Passyunk Crossing, Newbold, University City, Spruce Hill, Powelton Village, Woodland Terrace/Clark Park/Squirrel Hill, Cedar Park, Walnut Hill/Garden Court, Manayunk, Germantown, East Falls, Roxborough, East Mount Airy, West Mount Airy, Chestnut Hill, Mayfair, Fox Chase, etc. etc.

A few of my nephew's friends lived in Port Richmond and other neighborhoods which I can't remember right now. Those neighborhoods were humming. He, my nephew, used to ask me if I wanted to spend a night on the town with he and his college buddies. Hell yeah. We only went to Center City once.

We were kicked out of Locust Lounge. It wasn't me.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:24 AM

14,248 posts, read 9,132,787 times
Quote:
This is very true.

I would say though, that Camden is 100% growing again. All that is going on in Downtown, The Waterfront, around Cooper Hospital, around Campbell's Soup Campus/Knight's Crossing... the city is on fire.

Trenton is technically NYC CSA, not Philadelphia MSA/CSA. Although, I do agree it's more intertwined with the Philadelphia Region.

Chester just sucks. This probably the most comparable town/city to the ones you find surrounding Pittsburgh.
Chester is the oldest (founded 1644) and poorest municipality in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

As for what metro Trenton belongs to, it's my understanding that the commute patterns from Mercer County support its being in either the New York or the Philadelphia CSAs. It had been part of Philadelphia's until the 1990 Census, when it was moved into New York's. I had heard that the Census Bureau did this so that Federal employees working in Mercer County could get a pay raise without any paperwork, for the cost-of-living adjustment for the New York CSA is higher than that for the Philadelphia CSA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Philadelphia is a "Downtown City" Pittsburgh is a "Neighborhood city" ....

Philly has the better downtown, Pittsburgh has the better neighborhoods.

Give me Shadyside, Oakland, East Liberty, The Strip, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, South Side, Squirrel Hill, Mt Washington, Central Northside. Over any non-Center City neighborhood ANY DAY OF THE F***ING WEEK!

LOL You just tore down Pittsburgh to BOOSTER Philly..... Practice what you preach BUDDY! Im sorry this is so Philadelphia one-sided and biased its Laughable, and you guys wonder why your given such a hard time about your Boosting.

Philadelphia is AMERICA'S POOREST BIG CITY. Comcast can't save the city from its Poverty problems. The Infrastructure of the Northeast Corridor is nothing to write home about. Its damn near embarrassing, its OLD and FALLING APART. Amtrak is ineffective, and probably won't be around much longer.

City of Pittsburgh does not have the abject poverty problems of Philadelphia. Philadelphia's unemployment is
much higher than the city of Pittsburgh's ...

I'll ride a PAT bus at 1am a not think twice about it... SEPTA subway or bus at 1am I better have my mace with me. In Philly the bums are out of control in Center City. SEPTA goes on Strike ever 5 years like clockwork. I can't remember the last time PAT went on strike. SEPTA while a larger system, both cities are comparable for the share of their populations that use non-car-transportation. I think Philly was 8 while Pittsburgh was 11. Pittsburgh has more robust biking culture than Philly, and we do more walking it seems too

Pittsburgh's T and Buses are used by a wide mix of classes and races where there's no segregation even on the bus.... Outside of Regional Rail, a lot of Philly subways and buses are patronized by mostly broke poor minorities. In Philly whites don't ride past the back doors on any bus route they have to share ghetto folks. I guess its that clutch your pearls effect.

Philadelphia is far and away more segregated than Pittsburgh. Philly is like the 8th most segregated city in the US..... Minorities don't mix to well with whites in Philly. You damn sure wont find a Stanton Heights or Brighton Heights, Lawrenceville in Philly. Walk down Broad street in South Philly, the racial divide is stark you'd think it was some type of turf war between Italians (East of Broad) and Blacks (West).. Anywhere in Philly where it seems whites and minorities live together is either one of two things taking place.. Gentrification (Kensington, West Philly) or White Flight (Northeast) is happening. These are not legacy racially mixed neighborhoods.

Penn doesn't touch CMU for Computer Science, AI or STEM..... CMU/Pitt combo over anything Philadelphia offers by way of what Amazon is looking for in IT Research and Robotics, I guess that's why a handful of its executive team are CMU alums.

See you guys after the results. When you Philly boosters learn how to look at BOTH cities objectively... I'll stop my Philly bashing.
I really shouldn't get into this, but no, you won't.

Some of your statements there show that you haven't been here in quite a while.

That bit about "blacks west of Broad" in South Philly, for instance. Gentrification has run its course in the neighborhood known as "Graduate Hospital" (Broad to Grays Ferry Avenue, South Street to Washington Avenue), and it's running its course in Point Breeze to its south (Washington to Snyder avenues, Broad to 25th streets). I know several (gay, white) friends who have bought homes in Point Breeze over the past five years, and there was a tempest over residents of its eastern third choosing the name Newbold for the area they were settling into (the neighborhood group they formed recently renamed itself East Point Breeze Neighbors).

East of Broad, it's gone all multiculti, with Southeast Asians settling in and Mexicans, largely from Puebla state, opening up the businesses that have brought the lower reaches of the Italian Market back from the dead. Oh, and - those same gay and lesbian white folks have settled in over there too because some of them are getting priced out of the Gayborhood.

As for who uses SEPTA: yes, the bulk of the bus riders are black, but that's also a function of where the buses run. The Market-Frankford Line changes color at 15th Street, and headed towards Fishtown and the Northeast, the patrons are largely white. Likewise, most of the riders I see on the buses headed westward on Walnut to University City, and on the 17 south into G-Ho, are as well. I met the (Indian-American) vice president of government relations for the Greater Philadelphia Association of Realtors as we were both getting off the Route 18 bus to transfer to the Broad Street Line at Olney one morning; he lives in a 95 percent African-American middle-class neighborhood about two miles up from me through which the 18 snakes its way. I regularly see white riders on the Route 26, which turns the corner at the intersection nearest me to head into central Germantown, now, where I didn't when I moved up this way four years ago.

And what's Mount Airy, chopped liver? Sheesh, I've noticed that black and white folks alike like to shop Germantown Avenue in Chestnut Hill even though not too many blacks live there (I joke that I enjoy covering forums sponsored by Chestnut Hill community groups because they give me so many Only Black Guy in the Room opportunities). Even much more African-American Germantown, where I live now, has a non-trivial number of white residents, and the ones I know are as invested in revitalizing the neighborhood as the black ones are.

And: SEPTA is pretty safe at 1 a.m., or at least that's my experience. The only service I would avoid at that hour is the Market-Frankford Line Nite Owl bus, which is a zoo. (Its Broad Street Line counterpart is usually quiet. All of its riders at that hour are usually black; not so over on the MFL east from City Hall.)

As for the relative health of the state's two big transit agencies: I know that while SEPTA used to hold its "annual going-out-of-business sale" in the days before Acts 44, then 89, the Port Authority of Allegheny County implemented Doomsday Service Plans on two occasions during that same period. I've heard from knowledgeable transit industry observers that the problem in Pittsburgh is that the Port Authority is really running a retirement home rather than a transit system: that is, pension costs are eating up an enormous chunk of its budget.

Yes, Philadelphia is the poorest of the nation's 10 largest cities. But last I looked, Chicago has a pretty sizable percentage of residents in poverty too, and that doesn't seem to make much of a difference in the Loop or on North Michigan Avenue. And violent crime is worse there than here.

I'd like to suggest that your assessment of SEPTA is akin to my heading into downtown Pittsburgh on the weeknight that I helped a friend move into Green Tree, took a look at the lack of people on the streets, and concluded that the Golden Triangle dies at five. It doesn't, but the streets of downtown Philadelphia now have many more people strolling them at 9 at night than I found at about the same time on that visit I made to downtown Pittsburgh. The difference, from what I can tell is this: There still aren't all that many Pittsburghers living downtown, while Center City Philadelphia now has the nation's second-biggest downtown residential population after that of New York City.

I think I could go on in this vein but will stop here. If by this I've become a homer, so be it; I'll wear that badge with pride. To say Philadelphia isn't as bad as YOU say it is is no huge stretch. And Pittsburgh is better than outsiders may know, and it has many strengths, as we noted in that feature piece this past summer. But there's no need to bash Philly in order to boost Pittsburgh. You do that on a regular basis.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:45 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,926,799 times
Quote:
Quote:

You have a 1998 perception of downtown Pittsburgh my friend. Downtown Pittsburgh has grown from 3,600 people in 2010 to nearly 16,000 in 2017 (Density changing from 5,800 ppsm to 26,000 ppsm). If you actually believe it dies at 6 pm, think about this: center city had a population density of 27,000 ppsm in 2010, and did it die then? No. Of course its gained alot aince 2010 as well, but saying downtown Pittsburgh is dead as 6 pm is ludacris.There have been over 100 new restraunts open in the last 7 years as well.

You know Philadelphia very well, but know next to nothing about Pittsburgh except stats you read online. I live 1 mile from downtown and I've been to center city 17 times this year alone. It's certainly busier than downtown Pittsburgh, but it's a top 5 CBD nationwide. Downtown Pittsburgh is top 10.

Also, Pitt is a superior school to anything in Philadelphia outside of Penn. Drexel and Temple aren't that great - more on a Duquesne level, sorry. Villanova is on Pitts level, but is way out the mainline and not in the city whatsoever. The actually make it a point in media that they are not from Philadelphia.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...l-universities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania