Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:54 PM

518 posts, read 2,531,329 times

Advertisements

does anybody know of any amish grocery stores that sell items really cheap? i know there is one between punxsutawney and dubois on route 119. I was wonder of any others people know of. The ones i've seen sell outdated or damaged groceries for a really good price. some items i would not buy, but i dont think outdated jerky is going to be bad for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 01:14 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,691,335 times
What area are you looking in? South of Williamsport along Route 15 in the Montgomery area there is a bulk food/grocery store. There's also one on Route 45 going toward State College (actually in Old Fort or Centre Hall). I don't think they're owned or run by the Amish, though, but the Amish do shop there.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:32 PM

i was looking for ones mostly in western pa

Old 11-19-2007, 06:33 PM

393 posts, read 1,530,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
What area are you looking in? South of Williamsport along Route 15 in the Montgomery area there is a bulk food/grocery store. There's also one on Route 45 going toward State College (actually in Old Fort or Centre Hall). I don't think they're owned or run by the Amish, though, but the Amish do shop there.
They're also in Mifflinburg and Middleburg and they are building a new one on the Norry-Danville highway. There's a Amish bakery on 15 south too.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:30 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,359 times
Between Punxy and DuBois? Where on 119? It's been a few months since I went that way but I am drawing a blank here? Are you sure you are not thinking of the place after Punxy on 119...on the way to Indiana....I think it is on 210?

Old 11-21-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogal View Post
Between Punxy and DuBois? Where on 119? It's been a few months since I went that way but I am drawing a blank here? Are you sure you are not thinking of the place after Punxy on 119...on the way to Indiana....I think it is on 210?

its probably a mile north of big run on 119. it would be between big run and sykesville, but a lot closer to big run. its called yoder's discount groceries or something like that. they sell regular groceries that either have a box damaged or are close to being out of date at a really low price. i've been shopping their and a place like that in newburg, pa for a while and have yet to get sick, so i guess they are fine to eat.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:27 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,359 times
Stump Creek....ok...oh I thought you meant a real amish store. I buy damaged stuff like that all the time...but I make my own jerky....and I'm still here too :-)

If I were you....I would just ask one of the Amish people....one thing I learned living in Lancaster is those folks know more ways to skin a dollar then a cat....if there is any place like that in Western PA they WILL know. I know there was a place by Corry but that is a bit of the way up.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 32,011 times
the one in mifflinburg is right along route 45 and its called wengers. its a store ran by mennonites/amish. they usually have their shelves stocked and prices are good but you have to watch like anywhere else. the other store is called L & L on route 104. it's not directly in middleburg but on the outskirts. that store isn't as big as wengers but they do have some decent buys- especially on luncheon meats!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 32,011 times
the surplus outlet on route 11 on the norry/danville highway is owned by the same family that owns the on in allenwood/montgomery area on rt 15. they have a nice selection also!

Old 01-08-2009, 05:38 AM

There is a chain of stores called "B and B". I think it stands for bent and broken or something like that. They have 4 stores total. One is in Newburg, one in Quarryville, and I'm not sure of the rest. They are run by Amish and sell lots of food that is expired, close to being expired, or has a damaged box. Lots of the items are just like you would buy at a grocery store, except they are at a lower price. Great deals can be found on items like Gatorade, Propel and lots of candybars. The stores can be busy at times, and the hours are not the best, usually 8 to 5. But the prices are great, and if you check the dates on items, you can save a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania