Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:12 AM

Location: Orlando, Florida but moving to White House, TN soon
33 posts, read 110,717 times

Advertisements

I am looking to possibly talk to someone that is Amish or knows of the Amish. I am interested in a pen pal so that I can find out all about their ways of life. Please if you could help me. Thanks.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 07:53 PM

226 posts, read 760,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kas1675 View Post
I am looking to possibly talk to someone that is Amish or knows of the Amish. I am interested in a pen pal so that I can find out all about their ways of life. Please if you could help me. Thanks.

Kimberly
My mother was Amish..............I know all about um...........fire away........Lee

Old 02-09-2009, 06:56 PM

96 posts, read 343,489 times
There is a big group of Amish in Shippensburg Pa . My daughter attends the university there and shares the town with lots of true Amish people.Maybe do a search of Shippensburg or visit. A true Amish person will not respond via computer. They are still using horse and buggy. No electric. Make there own clothes.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 PM

226 posts, read 760,758 times
My mother was Amish and my father was Old Order Mennonite. I now attend a Nazarene Church and love it. I do know about anything about these two groups. Some things are the same, some are different...........Lee

tidbit........Some Amish are not to read the bible, my mom was not aloud to and thats why she left

Old 02-10-2009, 06:48 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharris View Post
There is a big group of Amish in Shippensburg Pa . My daughter attends the university there and shares the town with lots of true Amish people.Maybe do a search of Shippensburg or visit. A true Amish person will not respond via computer. They are still using horse and buggy. No electric. Make there own clothes.
that area, especially if you go north on 696 towards newburg has lots of amish. Also the lancaster area, and a small town in indiana county called smicksburg has many, many amish.
here is a link to Smicksburg. Welcome To Thee Shops of Smicksburg. It is a very nice, touristy type of amish town.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:44 PM

148 posts, read 637,620 times
I think Anne Byler of Auntie Anne's Soft Pretzles was raised Amish. I worked there when I was 16, which was 16 years ago.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:07 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoInPA View Post
I think Anne Byler of Auntie Anne's Soft Pretzles was raised Amish. I worked there when I was 16, which was 16 years ago.
I have heard the same thing about Auntie Anne's Pretzels...so I did a quick google search and found this site, which does mention that she was Amish Remarks As Prepared for Delivery: Anne Beiler - 2008 Republican National Convention. I didn't see it mentioned on the company website, though.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:06 AM

Location: Orlando, Florida but moving to White House, TN soon
33 posts, read 110,717 times
I just wanted to know how they truly live day to day. I would love to have a pen pal but I don't think they are allowed to associate with the outside world. I just have a huge interest in them. I think it is kind of neat. Can you tell me a little about them?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:42 AM

51 posts, read 233,243 times
They interact with the outside world quite well, in fact my wife has many amish friends, both male and female. They also use computers for their businesses but do not use the internet so that type communication is out. However they are avid postal users and communicate frequently using mail service.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:00 PM

160 posts, read 638,838 times
The McDonald's in Juniata County has a hitching post so the Amish can tie up their buggies when they come in for a burger run.

Not all Amish are that worldly, but it was not unusual to see young Amish women in the K-Mart, Giant Foods (buying huge bags of bulk candies -- they were definitiely BBWs!), and even the Hallmark Shop. Saw Amish families many times at country estate auctions. In fact, an auction house near our home out there had an Amish runner -- a super nice guy.

After living near so many Amish, I began to see them as just people, with some different lifestyle choices, but very much like the rest of us. (Of course, I can't speak for the really conservative communities.) What I don't get are the locals, who view the Amish as some kind of sacred and magical beings with a direct line to The Almighty The Amish are fully human, with all the good -- and not so good - that implies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania