Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 05:42 PM

99 posts, read 353,080 times

Advertisements

Hi! We're looking for Amish builders to put an addition on our home. Can anyone give me any information? We moved here to Lancaster County in August, 2009 & I do not know where to look. Thank you in advance for any help
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 07:31 AM

712 posts, read 1,970,977 times
ARE YOU NUTS?

For some stupid reason - people were conned into believing that the Amish are hard workers and honest. When in fact, they are the most crooked people out there.

I hired some Amish people to put a roof on my kitchen. Now mind you the roof was only 12 x 16 and I needed it restructured.

I paid for all the materials - about $1700 and they supplied the labor - $2000

Now if they actually worked and did a good job, I wouldn't have a problem with that. But these people didn't even bring their own ladder. They used my tools. The only tools that they brought were one cordless drill and a chainsaw. They wanted to cut the sheeting for my roof with a chainsaw.

When they showed up - they only forgot 3 things.
Their square
Their level and their common sense.

Right off the bat, half the crew left and 3 people actually did the work.
They showed up 3 days early and waited around for the truck to deliver the materials for 3 hours, they worked from 10 AM to 2 PM and then left and said they would come back the next day and finish the job.
The next day they came back at 8 AM and left at 1 to get lunch, picked up their tools at 2 and demanded to be paid.

The soffit and fascia on the roof were done wrong and the edge of the roof is not square.

I have seen this kind of quality of work - every place they go.

Not to mention that they don't know the first thing about electricity and if you let them build a structure for you - more times then not it will be wrong.

Now you also have to remember that with the uniform building codes - that you can't build anything without a permit and without inspections.

If they pull the bull crap on you that they did on me - nothing is going to pass and you will not get a certificate of occupancy for any structure that they build.

Your best bet is to find a good contractor and investigate his credentials thoroughly.. Ask to see some of their work and ask for references from previous customers and call those customers and ask how good of a job they did and how pleased they were with the work and what problems they had down the road.

The very last people you want to do work for you is the Amish.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:14 AM

175 posts, read 590,068 times
Go with a reputable contractor/builder who has all the insurance requirements.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:53 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,112 times
I sent you a PM with the name of a contractor who just finished our basement and we were very happy with their work.

Good luck.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:02 PM

29 posts, read 106,527 times
I agree. We've hired them. Not always the best results. Get a real contractor thats insured.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:40 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Hold on a sec. How can you say that all Amish people are poor workers?? That's like saying that Catholics are bad accountants because a firm you hired to do your taxes screwed up and they happened to be Catholic. The best way to get someone that will do a good job is to get references from people you know and trust. I wouldn't hire someone to do major work in my house without that.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:03 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bevis View Post
ARE YOU NUTS?

For some stupid reason - people were conned into believing that the Amish are hard workers and honest. When in fact, they are the most crooked people out there.

I hired some Amish people to put a roof on my kitchen. Now mind you the roof was only 12 x 16 and I needed it restructured.

I paid for all the materials - about $1700 and they supplied the labor - $2000

Now if they actually worked and did a good job, I wouldn't have a problem with that. But these people didn't even bring their own ladder. They used my tools. The only tools that they brought were one cordless drill and a chainsaw. They wanted to cut the sheeting for my roof with a chainsaw.

When they showed up - they only forgot 3 things.
Their square
Their level and their common sense.

Right off the bat, half the crew left and 3 people actually did the work.
They showed up 3 days early and waited around for the truck to deliver the materials for 3 hours, they worked from 10 AM to 2 PM and then left and said they would come back the next day and finish the job.
The next day they came back at 8 AM and left at 1 to get lunch, picked up their tools at 2 and demanded to be paid.

The soffit and fascia on the roof were done wrong and the edge of the roof is not square.

Not to mention that they don't know the first thing about electricity and if you let them build a structure for you - more times then not it will be wrong.

Now you also have to remember that with the uniform building codes - that you can't build anything without a permit and without inspections.

If they pull the bull crap on you that they did on me - nothing is going to pass and you will not get a certificate of occupancy for any structure that they build.

Your best bet is to find a good contractor and investigate his credentials thoroughly.. Ask to see some of their work and ask for references from previous customers and call those customers and ask how good of a job they did and how pleased they were with the work and what problems they had down the road.

Sorry you had such a horrible experience. Did you file a complaint with the AG's office?

Old 06-30-2010, 03:11 PM

889 posts, read 2,574,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bevis View Post
ARE YOU NUTS?

I'd question some of this. Not the part about check references, do that. But for example, Amish do not drive automobiles, if they were coming and going as you describe, maybe you got something/someone else?

What they do is pay someone to drive them to and from job sites like this, usually someone with a van who they know. And they factor that into the cost. Someone who deals with the Amish (business to business) once told me anyone can put on a hat and suspenders and say "Amish Made".

On the last point, "The very last people you want to do work for you is the Amish". I'd take Amish made timber-frame structures I've seen in Lancaster County over conventional structures any day. I'm talking about aesthetics, workmanship and life of the structure.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:08 AM

99 posts, read 353,080 times
Thank you everyone. I have also seen Amish work, just right down the block from us. They are significantly cheaper. There was just a big write up in the newspaper about why this is so. For one, they do not have to pay unemployment or workers comp. I don't think I'm nuts, just keeping our options open. If anyone has used the Amish to build, please let me know.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 12,428 times
I realize this thread is a bit dated but figured I would give it a shot anyway.
I am looking to add a second story addition to my home in Worcester, PA and have several estimates from contractors. Would anyone be willing to recommend an amish/mennonite builder? Thank you in advance for any information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania