Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 10:07 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx4Life View Post
hello everyone !

centralia is a 3 hr 25 min drive from the bronx ny .. i am an aviation mechanic and i have equipment good enough to go there.. a gas mask . coverals. and a hammer (dont know why )

if anyone is interested to see what it looks like i will be taking a live video over there pretty soon .
You don't need a gas mask. I was kidding about Silent Hill.

Please go back and read my comments and do your research. If you're expecting it to be some fascinating place that is on fire, you'll be very disappointed.

Fall is a good season to go though. Go on a crisp, cool but sunny day, preferably the day after a rain so that you can see more steam. Don't go when it's too cold or too miserable out or you won't want to walk everywhere you can. If you go during a dry spell you'll barely see where the fire is.

Please remember to be respectful, too. This is still a town where some people live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 10:26 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,511 times
I've hit Centralia more than a dozen times in the last 5 years. I love that place.

check out my Centralia pictures at PA Urban Exploration, Frick's Lock photos and Centralia photos - Forgotten Pennsylvania to see what it looked like from some of my visits, the earliest being July 07.

Oh yeah, Centralia is pretty safe. The ground is always warm where the fire is, which is pretty neat. There is the threat of sink holes, so I wouldn't advise going alone, just in case. Also, I'd advise against walking in the large crack on abandoned 61. Probably very soft, likely to collapse.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:28 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Anyone wasting their time going to Centrailia ought to have their head examined. Let's see...an abandoned town in the middle of nowhere with a huge FIRE that could cause the ground to collapse. Yeah, sounds like a great day trip to me....

Old 09-30-2012, 06:27 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Anyone wasting their time going to Centrailia ought to have their head examined. Let's see...an abandoned town in the middle of nowhere with a huge FIRE that could cause the ground to collapse. Yeah, sounds like a great day trip to me....
Doesn't it though? Someday I'll get there, camera in hand!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:19 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Doesn't it though? Someday I'll get there, camera in hand!
You don't have to travel all the way to Centraila to see a mine fire. Here is a link to one burning close to you: https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...questions.html In post number five 'Chefkey' has a picture and then 'thecoalman' follows up with other pictures and more information.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:46 PM

142 posts, read 315,993 times
i know i wont go there to cause harm . i just want to explore . i know it wont be the greatest thing but its whatever.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:09 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
If you've never been there, you're simply believing rumors and myths. I first went through the area when the town was still there back in the early 1980s. I continued passing through it into the late 1980s, but gave little thought to what was going on with the town. I hadn't been there for more than 15 years, when I suddenly found myself looking around at a strange place. It had all the earmarks of a former town without homes. Route 61 was also rerouted, which further added to my confusion. I then realized I was in Centralia.

A definition of, "Middle of nowhere," needs to be addressed. Centralia is surrounded by small towns only minutes away.

In all honesty, your life's exponentially more at risk while you drive than poking about in Centralia.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:43 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
If you've never been there, you're simply believing rumors and myths. I first went through the area when the town was still there back in the early 1980s. I continued passing through it into the late 1980s, but gave little thought to what was going on with the town. I hadn't been there for more than 15 years, when I suddenly found myself looking around at a strange place. It had all the earmarks of a former town without homes. Route 61 was also rerouted, which further added to my confusion. I then realized I was in Centralia.

A definition of, "Middle of nowhere," needs to be addressed. Centralia is surrounded by small towns only minutes away.

In all honesty, your life's exponentially more at risk while you drive than poking about in Centralia.
And it's not technically abandoned: there are about eight people still living there.

We went a few weeks ago and there was a parade as we drove through Ashland.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:55 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You don't have to travel all the way to Centraila to see a mine fire. Here is a link to one burning close to you: https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...questions.html In post number five 'Chefkey' has a picture and then 'thecoalman' follows up with other pictures and more information.
Thanks!!

Old 10-01-2012, 09:22 AM

645 posts, read 1,275,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
And it's not technically abandoned: there are about eight people still living there.

We went a few weeks ago and there was a parade as we drove through Ashland.
Fair enough, but I was referencing what it looked like back in 1984 when I first went through. The town was full of homes and there was still a main street lined with stores. I largely looked like this:

After not going through Centralia from roughly 1990 until 2005, I was shocked to see this:

The fact that Rt 61 was changed further added to my confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania