Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:56 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,797,492 times

Advertisements

The coal might be worth $1 billion but would require an expenditure of $999 million over 99 years to extract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 04:22 PM

996 posts, read 1,058,453 times
The coal veins in that area are not that deep.
With today's heavy equipment, I don't think it would take much effort to strip it clean.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:27 PM

889 posts, read 2,576,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Unless you can post up some bona-fide estimates regarding the actual amount of coal that is in that area - you are simply posting your opinion.

It is a rarity for a town to actually own their mineral rights.

Since the dangers of seeping gases have been eliminated, I find it curious that lawyers have ben hired to try to evict the remaining residents....
Yes, but it's an informed opinion. I worked in the industry years ago, including in that very area. I still keep in touch with some contacts, including a family friend in the industry who lives in Centralia, but out of the fire zone (official address changed to an Aristes, PA when they closed the Centralia Post Office and changed his address). No one who knows what they're doing even remotely believes this tall tale.

I can see one purpose this story possibly serves, to the holdout folks still living there, it may play into a scenario for a bigger buyout/payout. In this case it doesn't have to be true, because it's only a way for the holdouts to posture to get more payout dollars. And there was more than a little of that -- posturing for more $$$ -- when the original buyouts were happening years ago. It's borderline shameful if this is really the case, because all the folks who relocated years ago moved on with their lives and homes and don't seem any worse for it.

Oh, and one more thing VB. Your unwavering belief in this tall tale doesn't account for: Even with all the costs, obstacles and certainty of throwing money down the drain, would anyone want to mine coal (or what was once coal) that has been mostly combusted and already turned into ash.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:23 PM

Still does not answer the question about why the State is still trying to evict the remaining residents - folks that are not interested in moving or holding out for more buyout $.

A series of test bores would easily answer how much coal is left in that area, and if you don't think they have been already drilled, well - there is swampland in Florida for sale.

If you have any firm data regarding the lack of remaining coal, please post them up.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:06 PM

889 posts, read 2,576,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Still does not answer the question about why the State is still trying to evict the remaining residents - folks that are not interested in moving or holding out for more buyout $.

A series of test bores would easily answer how much coal is left in that area, and if you don't think they have been already drilled, well - there is swampland in Florida for sale.

If you have any firm data regarding the lack of remaining coal, please post them up.
There are enough test/bore holes drilled in that town over the years to make the earth look like swiss cheese.

I'd say the contrary, if you have any firm data (which bar room tall tales do not count as) about measured or proven reserves, post 'em up. Otherwise this is a bar room tall tale.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:30 PM

with all them test holes, there should be a viable data source somewhere that shows what was found - or not found beneath the earth..

It's your burden PeeAye - you are the one denying the presense of coal. I posted a newsource earlier, your turn.

Otherwise, it's your opinion - which is worth about as much as bar room talk.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:25 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,330,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
There is a big difference between someone wanting it, and a company actively buying up the coal/mineral rights.

All I can say is I've heard that story for 40 years, and it has never happened, and it is not happening now, either. Plus, you cannot keep things like that under wraps in a small town area like that for very long. Everybody knows everyone else's business, if some entity were buying up the rights, it would be well known and big news.

And one more point, there is not one anthracite coal company with the financial muscle to do something like that. If there were, it would be really big, big news to the area.

Post up a name and show some proof of someone, anyone, doing anything behind the scenes, and I'll change my tune and believe it. Otherwise, it's just a colorful bar room tale with some wishful thinking mixed in that's been making the rounds for years and years.

Dude....PLEASE.

Those coal companies are OBVIOUSLY waiting for, like, a generation to pass (like die) before they put their evil plan into effect. COME ON!

Old 10-23-2010, 05:43 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,688,880 times
Anyone that says Centralia's fire is extinguished needs to visit the town. It is obviously not.

If they strip mine the place, that's fine with me.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:00 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,167,739 times
I found this link where two major companies are talking about shutting down some of their aging coal fired generating plants: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Pennsylvania_and_coal#December_200 9:_Exelon_announces_plan_to_shut_coal_plants_in_Pe nnsylvania
Note that one company was shutting down 11 plants in NC.

I guess what I am asking is: Is there a shift away from coal with all the new Marcellus Shale gas drilling? How much will it hurt coal mining? Also; are there large shale gas deposits under that area?

Old 10-26-2010, 07:04 AM

74 posts, read 179,766 times
Much of the bigger shale deposits are in the Northern Tier of the state, which isn't where the coal is or was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania