Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:02 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
Mexican, I believe. One may be South American.
Many Latin Americans treat their kids like babies for much longer than Americans. When my son was around 3 I was at a party with a Colombian family that had a son the same age as mine. They asked me how old the BABY was. At first I thought it was a language issue and that they were saying baby because they did not have the right English words. When it wast time to eat I made a plate of food for my son, mostly cold cuts and fruit. The other family was feeding their 3 year old BABY FOOD FROM A JAR.

I think that the child will be fine. Latin Americans just treat them as babies for a little longer. I live in an area with a high concentration of South Americans and the adults seem to be able to feed themselves. My guess is that when the child is ready for Mom to stop coming to school to feed him, he will tell her. I would stay out of it.

BTW-to the person who commented on peeling an orange for an adult son. My kids LOVE when I peel them an orange. They are quite capable of peeling them on their own but they really like when I do. As a mom I do little things that make them happy. It isn't that they CAN'T or WON'T do it on their own, it's just one of those little things that mothers sometimes do for their sons. So cut her some slack...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Schools in general always encourage parents to come to school to eat lunch with their kids - and no one teacher can change that or make her own rules not to allow it

Are you kidding me???? The schools around here do not want any parents hanging around the school unless they're a "class parent" (and that's for the younger grades and only 1 parent at a time) or unless they're volunteering at the sign-in desk. None of the schools my DD has been in has ever invited parents to come eat lunch with the kids unless it was a special event. As a matter of fact, even on the "field days", the kids went back inside for lunch and parents were told to leave and come back after the lunch period was over.

I've never heard of any school (from Pre-School to 12th grade) encouraging parents to come to school and eat lunch with the kids. That's very strange.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Are you kidding me???? The schools around here do not want any parents hanging around the school unless they're a "class parent" (and that's for the younger grades and only 1 parent at a time) or unless they're volunteering at the sign-in desk. None of the schools my DD has been in has ever invited parents to come eat lunch with the kids unless it was a special event. As a matter of fact, even on the "field days", the kids went back inside for lunch and parents were told to leave and come back after the lunch period was over.

I've never heard of any school (from Pre-School to 12th grade) encouraging parents to come to school and eat lunch with the kids. That's very strange.
We can go in and eat with our kids if we want. It's a charter school, PK3-5th grade.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:37 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,168 times
Quote:

We have been at 3 different elementary schools, two in the Midwest in which you could just walk into school at any time to visit the classroom or have lunch with your child. Now we are in the East and you are not allowed into school for any reason without an appointment.You cannot come to have lunch with your child.
If your school allows lunch visits, there's not much you can do beyond what you have already tried. It would drive me crazy also,but I guess these kids will eventually grow up and feed themselves.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:59 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
We have been at 3 different elementary schools, two in the Midwest in which you could just walk into school at any time to visit the classroom or have lunch with your child. .
I don't like this idea --- very disruptive to the class if you have parents "dropping in" whenever they feel like it. Even the lunch thing is weird..... are these same parents going to "drop in" at this child's job when they get older and sit in the company cafeteria to eat lunch with them??

Very "helicopter" if you ask me.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I don't like this idea --- very disruptive to the class if you have parents "dropping in" whenever they feel like it. Even the lunch thing is weird..... are these same parents going to "drop in" at this child's job when they get older and sit in the company cafeteria to eat lunch with them??

Very "helicopter" if you ask me.
At our school parents mostly drop in at lunchtime on special occasions. On a child's birthday the parents might come in and brink cupcakes for the class.

We have a volunteer schedule at school. There are many opportunities to volunteer in the classroom but there is a set schedule. As a teacher I would find it disruptive to have unplanned visits all day long.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:18 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,561 times
interesting...my daughter has been using a spoon and fork since she was 1yr old. my mom thought we were crazy to allow this, and sure there's usually a good mess to clean up, but now she's 2 and is doing quite well!

in the OP's case, i don't think you should say/do anything about it...eventually, these kids will work it out...

Old 02-10-2010, 07:21 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,969 times
Quote:

Parents are a very integral part of education here and are encouraged to volunteer in the school, come eat lunch with their child, go on field trips and so on. This is the norm across the entire DFW metroplex, not just at our particular school.

While it is a very open door policy, it's not meant for parents to be coming and going at will. You must pass a back ground check in order to be in any area where there are students. You must sign in each time you are in the school and wear a name tag that has your picture on it, teacher's name and why you are there.

The only times that the schools ask you not to be in the school is at the very beginning of the school year when they are trying to establish routines and schedules and during standardized testing.

The reverse of your thoughts, I find it very strange that there are schools that do not allow parents in the school and would have to wonder what they are hiding from the parents. It would make me question their philosophy and how they run the school. I doubt I'd feel comfortable putting my child in a school that excluded parents.

I'd agree the parent spoon feeding their child is helicoptering, but I strongly disagree that a parent volunteering in their child's school is the same.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:27 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Many Latin Americans treat their kids like babies for much longer than Americans. When my son was around 3 I was at a party with a Colombian family that had a son the same age as mine. They asked me how old the BABY was. At first I thought it was a language issue and that they were saying baby because they did not have the right English words. When it wast time to eat I made a plate of food for my son, mostly cold cuts and fruit. The other family was feeding their 3 year old BABY FOOD FROM A JAR.

I think that the child will be fine. Latin Americans just treat them as babies for a little longer. I live in an area with a high concentration of South Americans and the adults seem to be able to feed themselves. My guess is that when the child is ready for Mom to stop coming to school to feed him, he will tell her. I would stay out of it.

BTW-to the person who commented on peeling an orange for an adult son. My kids LOVE when I peel them an orange. They are quite capable of peeling them on their own but they really like when I do. As a mom I do little things that make them happy. It isn't that they CAN'T or WON'T do it on their own, it's just one of those little things that mothers sometimes do for their sons. So cut her some slack...
I agree. It could be a cultural thing. I don't see that big of a deal in it, eventually everyone starts to eat on their own.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:41 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Schools in general always encourage parents to come to school to eat lunch with their kids - and no one teacher can change that or make her own rules not to allow it
I have never heard that. In addition, I was picturing kindergartners eating as a class, not with the rest of the school. I could be wrong, but in my experience, kindies are kept separate from the rest of the school for a lot of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting