Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 08:41 PM

28 posts, read 50,396 times

Advertisements

Noexcuses > i have a daughter that just turned 21 feb 8, at 18 she did not want to live by the house rules anymore and was very disrespectful, so my wife and i told her if she could'nt live by the house rules then she could move out, so she did, i agreed to keep paying for her cosmotology schooling (because she made straight f's in regular school) if she would just finish, she had 945 hours and needed 1200 to get her license, but she never showed up ever again at school,(and i was under a contract) and has not had a job in 2 years, shacked up with a pothead, (she told me he was a pothead) she has nothing, however i did try and help her, house rules were, clean what you dirty up, and be home by 12:30 weekend and 11:00 on week days, and respect your parents, thats about it, but it was ALWAYS a fight with her, point to my story is i dont want to make a mistake that could change his life in a wrong direction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 08:44 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,720,292 times
Mountains, that's a bunch of crap. How narrow minded you are to think the parent of a daughter isn't smart enough to understand that anyone who is 19 years old should have been taught to fight his or her own battles and learn some life's lessons on their way to becoming an adult.

I don't need a son to know that this young man is way too pampered and protected and is in dire need of some control in his life. Having boys is no more special than having girls. They ALL have to GROW UP.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:48 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,253,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Mountains, that's a bunch of crap. How narrow minded you are to think the parent of a daughter isn't smart enough to understand that anyone who is 19 years old should have been taught to fight his or her own battles and learn some life's lessons on their way to becoming an adult.

I don't need a son to know that this young man is way too pampered and protected and is in dire need of some control in his life. Having boys is no more special than having girls. They ALLL have to GROW UP.

Oh for pete's sake

You are obviously not sophisticated enough to understand what I have been talking about - but no matter - our OP "gets" it, so that's really all that matters

Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Oh for pete's sake

You are obviously not sophisticated enough to understand what I have been talking about - but no matter - our OP "gets" it, so that's really all that matters
As long as the two of you are on the same page and can stroke each other's ego, that's all that matters.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
As long as the two of you are on the same page and can stroke each other's ego, that's all that matters.
hey, I'm here to HELP. What are YOU here for? I mean that seriously, not flippantly. Berating people doesn't help them - this dad needs good suggestions of things to try, not admonishment for what he is doing for trying to help his son.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 02-16-2010 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,315,390 times
Quote:
Again, all I can say is, until you've been in this particular nightmare with a young 18-20 year old guy, you really don't understand how bad something like this is. This is not just your typical "let the kid fall flat on his face and he'll learn" situation.
Indeed. He's young enough to not know better....but old enough that this situation could do him lifelong harm.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Indeed. He's young enough to not know better....but old enough that this situation could do him lifelong harm.

Exactly. It's more complicated than some people realize.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
hey, I'm here to HELP. What are YOU here for? I mean that seriously, not flippantly. Berating people doesn't help them - this dad needs good suggestions of things to try, not admonishment for what he is doing for trying to help his son.
I see you edited and added. YOU'RE talking about berating?? What nerve.

The boy needs to grow up and everybody can see that except you and his father.

Quote:
Exactly. It's more complicated than some people realize.
How would you know that? Are you his mother? GIVE THE BOY SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR HIS OWN LIFE.

Quote:
Oh for pete's sake

And YOU'RE talking about me berating? You insult me then talk about me berating by saying the 19 year old MAN needs to grow up and take some responsibility??? Wow.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I see you edited and added. YOU'RE talking about berating?? What nerve.

The boy needs to grow up and everybody can see that except you and his father.

How would you know that? Are you his mother? GIVE THE BOY SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR HIS OWN LIFE.

And YOU'RE talking about me berating? You insult me then talk about me berating by saying the 19 year old MAN needs to grow up and take some responsibility??? Wow.

Just a thought...it takes so much less valuable energy to be positive than it does to be negative.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:27 PM

Whatever. You go kiss up some more and I'll stay away from this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting