Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:29 PM

297 posts, read 899,938 times

Advertisements

The Department of Child-Rearing.

How's that for a name? With the rapid change that society has faced, mainly two factors: 1) feminism changing the role of women and 2) the advent of SEX ROBOTS (lolololol), don't you see in the forseeable future that children will be "produced" (in whatever method) by the government to sustain the population, and raised by the state? Being a "counselor" (aka mother/father) for these packs of state-owned children might be a new paid government job that may pop up in the future.

I'm sure Aldous Huxley would agree that this is where we are going. Although I'm not too serious about the topic of this thread, I can definitely see why this may become a reality in the distant future. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 01:32 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,332,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
The Department of Child-Rearing.

How's that for a name? With the rapid change that society has faced, mainly two factors: 1) feminism changing the role of women and 2) the advent of SEX ROBOTS (lolololol), don't you see in the forseeable future that children will be "produced" (in whatever method) by the government to sustain the population, and raised by the state? Being a "counselor" (aka mother/father) for these packs of state-owned children might be a new paid government job that may pop up in the future.

I'm sure Aldous Huxley would agree that this is where we are going. Although I'm not too serious about the topic of this thread, I can definitely see why this may become a reality in the distant future. What are your thoughts?

I hope I'm long dead and gone if this ever happens!

Old 02-07-2010, 02:23 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,449,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
I hope I'm long dead and gone if this ever happens!
...the above + I hope my entire family tree is extinct by then.

I am also convinced global society is indeed marching in that direction. It starts in the US (+ other anglo countries), it spreads to western Europe, then finally to all other suckers eager enough to adopt the "destiny" unquestionably.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,133,745 times
The only upside is we'd have someone else to blame when if we fail as parents.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:51 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,692,869 times
How many hours a day do parents spend with their kids NOW?

Most parents put their kids in state-run schools, where they are indoctrinated by adults, then on to day care, where they receive indoctrination from other adults--and spend very little time themselves actually instilling THEIR values into their children.

When the kids come home, they eat dinner, and then it's off to their rooms with their videogames, TVs, iPods, or computers.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:12 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,935,661 times
What TKramar said.

Most people are already living it, they just can't see it.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:14 PM

75 posts, read 93,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

Most parents put their kids in state-run schools, where they are indoctrinated by adults, then on to day care, where they receive indoctrination from other adults--and spend very little time themselves actually instilling THEIR values into their children.

When the kids come home, they eat dinner, and then it's off to their rooms with their videogames, TVs, iPods, or computers.
I have to disagree here. Children only attend school 180 days a year. That's just under half of the year. Even if they are in day care every weekday for 10 hours a day (the maximum allowed here), they still spend more time with their parents than anyone else.

Honestly, things have not changed much at all. Go back 100 years ago and mom and dad were tending to the farm. They were too busy cooking, canning, smoking, milking, planting, harvesting, whatever...to spend much time with their kids. Older siblings often were used as day care. The difference today is we work fewer hours but we work them away from home.

People idealize the past when it shoudln't be. How much time did mom really have to play patty cake when she was drawing water from the well, cooking from scratch, doing her own baking and sewing, washing clothes in a pot over a fire, ironing everything, putting up stores for the winter, etc, etc, etc...

When people talk about how little time parents spend with their children these days, I think about a device called a baby tender I once saw that pioneer moms used. It was a box with a pitched roof mom could lock the baby in while she worked. The roof had the point cut off so that the baby, when a bit older, could stand on tip toes and peek out.

Older children (we're talking the ripe old age of say 7) were often put to work on the farm. They might only see their parents during meals. They were lucky if they got to go to school at all. People who think parents had all this time to spend on their children way back when really need a history lesson. With multiple children and 100 hours of work to do a week, mom didn't have much time for the kids at all. She may have been in the vacinity and someone could go get her if needed but the same is true of today's working mom with a cell phone. We work fewer hours than our fore fathers and fore mothers. We also have fewer children. That leaves us MORE time to spend on our kids not less. Studies have been done that show that today's full time working mom actually spends more time with her children than a 1950's stay at home mom did. The difference is we have less work to do.

My husband grew up on a farm and just laughs when people talk about how much time parents spent with kids back then. He says his father showed him how to do a chore and then left him to do it. While we do spend more time with our children dotay, the big difference today isn't in time we spend with our children but rather that we don't give our children responsiblity. Older daughters aren't given the care of younger siblings, sons aren't out plowing the back forty and sheering the sheep for dad. Children have become fine china. Protected and coddled. They are not hurting for time with parents. What they could use more of is time they are working for others who rely on them.

While we do have more time to spend on our children today,the real difference is children used to be born into a family. Now the family is transformed by the birth of a child. The child used to adapt to the family. Now the family adapts to the child. In short. They're spoiled.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:17 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,988,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

Yup, yup, yup.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:21 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,988,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimalkinskeeper View Post
I have to disagree here. Children only attend school 180 days a year. That's just under half of the year. Even if they are in day care every weekday for 10 hours a day (the maximum allowed here), they still spend more time with their parents than anyone else.

Well, yes, if you're counting the 10 hours per day that the kids are SLEEPING! I think that the point is that kids see their parents for very few waking hours in typical families. A child spending 10 hours per day in daycare and a conservative 9 hours per night sleeping only spends 5 hours per day with the parents, and a LOT of that time is spent with mom and dad getting ready for work, driving the child to daycare, driving the child home from daycare, making dinner, cleaning up, doing household chores, etc.

Then the kids get older, and go to before school care, school, and after school care. Same deal, only now the kids have their own after-after-school-care interests, such as playing video games, watching iCarly, and going to ballet/karate lessons.

Schools and daycares without a doubt have the most influence over children in many, many families, at least five days out of the week.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:24 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,921,299 times
grimalkinskeeper is right on. And really, the schools are indoctrinating? With what? Watch out for those math problems and don't get me started on the parts of a sentence...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting