Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:40 AM

502 posts, read 986,954 times

Advertisements

I have this original idea that I want to share. People who adopt children are all ready part of this plan. Here goes. Instead of everybody trying to raise their own children. Why not have communities where a new married couple decide to help raise the community's children. Like we take your child for the week end and buy food and help with homework or just love on the child and bring the child back. Some other couple take the child the next week end or week night - whatever. This way not everybody that wants children has to raise their own - all by themselves. A group model as I have indicated should be explored. Seems like we would have far fewer unwanted children in the World. Far less poverty. Why is it that no one has ever kicked this idea around !!!

I actually practiced this concept just before I started pre med. I found a child from a broken marriage, at my church. He was 8 years old. I would take him on various weekends. We went to the lakes, water parks, I cooked for him, tried to share wisdom and just loved on him. He is an engineer today. I loved him as my own son. I got to full fill some parenting needs without having to create a child. I wish more people were practicing this concept around the world. Why is it such a rare occurance. The boy's dad I found out years later, was unfaithful to the mother, and that is why the marriage got broken. There were many brothers and sisters in this home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,152,335 times
it's called Big Brothers and Big Sisters and many communities have similar programs. Also common when communes were all the rage.
i personally would never send my kid(s) to spend time with people I did not know extremely well. What an invitation for trouble. and I would not want to take in somebody's kid without knowing something about the family and kid. Before we adopted 3 children we trained for foster parenting. For 3 months we learned about how many kids are so badly treated in some birth families and how traumatized these kids can be. You are expected to love them from a distance and always be ready to turn them back to abusive homes. i couldn't handle it.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:53 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,982,868 times
Such as communes, kibbutz and Big Brother/Big Sister? All practices that have been around for a long time.

I'd rather see people educated about what raising a child really entails, and having the means and desire to see it through.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:05 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,255,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
it's called Big Brothers and Big Sisters and many communities have similar programs. Also common when communes were all the rage.
i personally would never send my kid(s) to spend time with people I did not know extremely well. What an invitation for trouble. and I would not want to take in somebody's kid without knowing something about the family and kid. Before we adopted 3 children we trained for foster parenting. For 3 months we learned about how many kids are so badly treated in some birth families and how traumatized these kids can be. You are expected to love them from a distance and always be ready to turn them back to abusive homes. i couldn't handle it.
Yeah, I immediately thought of Big Bros/Sis, too. Not really a new concept, but I wouldn't give my kids to anyone for a weekend but a very select few...like my parents, or my brothers/sister if my kids were up for that.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
Why is it that no one has ever kicked this idea around !!!
Hippie communes. 1960's.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:34 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,739,368 times
I think the Big Brother or Big Sister concept can be great for kids, especially kids who need more strong, caring adults in their lives. However, mangodog, your approach sounds like all kids would be passed around on weekends and possibly weeknights. I believe children need a secure, stable home life whenever possible. They need to spend time with their parents to bond and observe consistent behavior. When home life is unstable or unsafe, bringing in more adults to help is a terrific idea, but I don't think children's upbringing should be based upon a supposition that their parents don't love them or don't want to raise them.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,501,366 times
I would not go for it at all ! ! ! ...

To many people today don't know how to raise there own children,
which act like wild animals, and are very disrespectful to there parents
and I really don't want them raising mine. ...

Old 05-01-2012, 11:30 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,877,571 times
I remember Hilary Clinton saying something about it, "taking a village"...

Old 05-01-2012, 11:30 AM

331 posts, read 604,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think the Big Brother or Big Sister concept can be great for kids, especially kids who need more strong, caring adults in their lives. However, mangodog, your approach sounds like all kids would be passed around on weekends and possibly weeknights. I believe children need a secure, stable home life whenever possible. They need to spend time with their parents to bond and observe consistent behavior. When home life is unstable or unsafe, bringing in more adults to help is a terrific idea, but I don't think children's upbringing should be based upon a supposition that their parents don't love them or don't want to raise them.

I very much agree with you JustJulia..

Now, in my apartments there are many families, many single parent families as well. A large group of us, (known each other for a good amount of time) help watch out for and have a helping hand when needed with the others children. We are a community, we watch out for one another and for the children, as a team. But by no means is anyone raising anyone else's child, just sharing some of the burden, and able to help out and be there for one another. It's wonderful to have this type of community to call home!!

Old 05-01-2012, 11:43 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,947,132 times
We had babysitting co-ops, as well.

Extended families can be helpful too.

The concept of everyone pitching in is not new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting