Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 05:39 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times

Advertisements

I have no idea where to put this thread, so I'm writing here. My husband found his biological father who unfortunately is in jail at the moment and won't get out for awhile.
The father has 3 children from his wife, and he would love to introduce my husband to his family, but his wife is insisting on a DNA test. Paternity DNA test is very difficult to proceed with, it will cost a lot of money and a long time, for the simple fact that the father is in jail. The father suggested to do a sibling DNA test between my husband and his other son.
Does anyone have any experience as of how accurate this test is. My husband is 100% sure that this is his dad, but terrified of false result
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 05:42 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
From what I read, I believe sibling DNA tests are fairly accurate (80% for half siblings, 90% for full siblings) but for best result, another family member should be tested, ideally another sibling or a parent of one of the siblings; then the result accuracy goes up to legal level (99.9% or higher)

Is there a chance to have someone else tested also, such as a second sibling, or the mother of either your husband or the brother mentioned?

Old 02-07-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
From what I read, I believe sibling DNA tests are fairly accurate (80% for half siblings, 90% for full siblings) but for best result, another family member should be tested, ideally another sibling or a parent of one of the siblings; then the result accuracy goes up to legal level (99.9% or higher)

Is there a chance to have someone else tested also, such as a second sibling, or the mother of either your husband or the brother mentioned?
Yes, perhaps a younger sister as well...

Old 02-07-2010, 09:27 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
It's pretty accurate, but as others have mentioned, a third person should be tested as well.
That is because there is always the chance that the father isn't the bio father of the half brother like he thought he was (maybe just a slim chance, but ya never know)

Old 02-07-2010, 09:41 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Paternity DNA test is very difficult to proceed with, it will cost a lot of money and a long time, for the simple fact that the father is in jail.
Why can't the father simply mail a few strands of hair?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:18 AM

it's a swab inside the mouth...sounds simple isn't it? However, my husband found out he needs to get a court approval, fill out all kinds of applications, pay 1000K for the lawyer, the whole ordeal can take up to a year.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:22 AM

But what if the father isn't the father of the other woman's child? That's a risk.

I'd want to have your husband tested against all of her other children. If he matches just one, then there is solid proof.

btw, I think it's such sick that this woman is demanding DNA tests. It's not like there's some grand estate for him to get his hands on. His father is in prison.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:24 AM

btw, are these other children minors? IMO the mother has no right to get in the way of their meeting if they are adults.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
But what if the father isn't the father of the other woman's child? That's a risk.

I'd want to have your husband tested against all of her other children. If he matches just one, then there is solid proof.

btw, I think it's such sick that this woman is demanding DNA tests. It's not like there's some grand estate for him to get his hands on. His father is in prison.
I think the father has a lot of guilt on his shoulders for the fact that he is now put in prison for years, he doesn't want to do anything to upset the wife, she has some health issues too, they are struggling emotionally and financially and the father doesn't want to bring more problems into the family. My husband looks a lot like his half-brother, I would be shocked if it turned out that this man is really not his father. It's a hard one, because my husband's mother is deceased and the father is in prison, because I read that it would be more accurate if at least one of the parents were tested too.
My husband really wants to meet his siblings, he would be the oldest one and he would bring a lot of positivity and goodness with him, which is what that family needs.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
btw, are these other children minors? IMO the mother has no right to get in the way of their meeting if they are adults.
No, they are all adults already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting