Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 01:29 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,794,196 times

Advertisements

My DD will be 18 years old next month. We live in a state where you can drive at 15, but she refuses to drive. For most of her life she's been pretty fearless, in fact has scared me on various occasions with her risks. But for the last couple of years she's grown reluctant to do things she deems dangerous. Even though we live in a semi-rural town where she would not be subjected to lots of traffic, she's convinced if she drives she'll have an accident and kill herself.

She'll be graduating high school this year and it will be impossible for her to go to college or work at a job without a drivers' license. DH tells her she needs to just pass the written test and get her permit and then she can or cannot drive. He thinks she will want to drive a little and will eventually work up her courage. I'm baffled, this is so unlike her.

Any advice or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 01:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,117,463 times
First, what was your daughter's response to your husband's suggestion that she take the written exam?

Old 01-15-2010, 01:45 PM

6 posts, read 20,624 times
I would let her know that if she doesnt try, then she never will and let her know mom and dad arent gonna take her everywhere she needs to go, ie: the mall, a girlfriens house etc. My daughter was scared to death to take the test at DMV, but finally did when I stopped being the "Mom Taxi" she always thought I would be, she'll come around...hopefully.
Good Luck!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:46 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,934,908 times
"Yes dear. Driving is scary. That's why you need to get out there and practice."

Old 01-15-2010, 01:50 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,794,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
First, what was your daughter's response to your husband's suggestion that she take the written exam?
Whenever we mention driving in any context we get the eye rolling and she walks away.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:51 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,478,297 times
My 15-year-old has no interest in driving either. I'm not pushing it yet. I can see a city bus stop from my house. He has options. Just think of all the money I will save if he waits until 18 or 19 to drive! (He'll almost be 19 when he graduates high school.)

I, on the the other hand, started driving at age 12 in the country and 15 in the city, illegally with my parents' permission. I had a friend back then who wouldn't drive either at age 16 when it's legal. She eventually got her license the summer after she graduated high school. She was 18. Her reason was fear.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:29 PM

179 posts, read 516,971 times
I would buy her a bicycle as her graduation gift and let her know that is how she can get around until she is ready to drive. You and your husband cannot cart her around forever.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:38 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,131,177 times
I was the same way too but it was because my dad was a nervous wreck when he was a passenger and I was driving the car so this could be the same situation with your daughter. Being in the car with mom or dad as passenger makes her nervous.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:52 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,961,186 times
Well, if it will be impossible for her to go to college or work without a driver's license and she is refusing to take the test, I would be sitting down with her and coming up with a plan B - because what is her plan, to sit around all day and be driven around?
Is there a college she can go to where she can live on campus and not need a vehicle? Where there is a bus system she can use to get to work?
Has she gotten behind the wheel at all, taken baby steps to get past the fears? If not, she needs to get behind that wheel and see that's it's not that big a deal. But she will need a lot of practice because it's the behind the wheel experience that builds confidence.
If she wants to refuse, tell her fine, but then she needs to have a concrete plan to get around the problem. And that you driving her anywhere is not an option.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:50 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,620,110 times
Neither going to college or getting a job requires a driver's license, only identification. Both my older girls were over 18 when they got their license. The oldest was 4 years into college before she got hers and the second was in her 3rd year before getting hers.

My oldest was the one that had the fear issue. It took her getting enough self confidence after going to college and being in the workforce to get her to learn. It simply took time, more than it should have, however once she did learn it was quickly, with confidence and little concern over her having an accident. Not to mention the savings on car insurance...haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting